Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First upright build-Tully Cabaret Plans.  (Read 44570 times)

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
First upright build-Tully Cabaret Plans.
« on: January 26, 2021, 03:28:22 pm »
Hello all,so as my area went back into semi lockdown,i took the chance to use my free time to build a cabaret cab using the Tully plans.

I bought 4 sheets of ply which were supposed to be 122cm x 61cm,i picked them up click and collect and my first schoolboy error of this build was not measuring them.I threw them in the car,and when i got them home found them to be 120cm x 60cm (a size they dont even stock on there website) Anyway,i couldnt return them for a while so ill just get on with it.
 Initially i thought id be lacking height compared to the original plans,as i wanted the sides low to the ground.But as recomended to me,sitting it on a base would be a good option.So here it goes:

First side cut to the Tully plans,Then rough cut the second side,stuck them together with double sided tape.

So with the panels clamped down and ready to rock,you can just see the only thing to do was unclamp them and flip it all over as i only have a top bearing flush trim bit and the job was upside down :-[

I do have a bottom bearing pattern bit somewhere,and do prefer using that.But the top bearing bit does have the advantage that the panels dont have to be overhanging and clear of the work surface,the bit will never be lower than the template,so wont foul on the bench.

I then cut the other panels from the plans,cleaning the factory edges with the router,and am just lacking the back door,which will have to wait until after lockdown.
 This is my first time building with plywood,ive built a couple of bartops with mdf,and didnt want to use it again.I have since found out that the plywood has different quality grades per side.I got lucky and ended up with the slightly inferior surfaces both facing in on the side panels.Not a biggie,but should save a bit of work come sanding and painting time.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: First upright build-Tully Cabaret Plans.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 03:40:49 pm »
Good start.  I'd round over those 3 sharp corners on the top - not as severe as the rounded corners on the bottom but just hit them with some sandpaper to smooth it out.  T-molding doesn't like sharp angles.

Are you definitely painting it?  I've had some good luck with vinyl siding - goes on like a sticker and is super cheap ($8 per side if I recall correctly).  Just have to prep the surface (sand and prime) but you have to do that anyway if you paint.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 04:53:28 pm »
Good start.  I'd round over those 3 sharp corners on the top - not as severe as the rounded corners on the bottom but just hit them with some sandpaper to smooth it out.  T-molding doesn't like sharp angles.

Are you definitely painting it?  I've had some good luck with vinyl siding - goes on like a sticker and is super cheap ($8 per side if I recall correctly).  Just have to prep the surface (sand and prime) but you have to do that anyway if you paint.

This was a few days ago,and i have indeed rounded them corners.
 To tell you the truth although ive been wanting to build this for ages,im a bit undecided about a lot of things,paint included.I havent been able to source any laminate,which was my first idea.

So i had some lengths of timber from some other job and made the base.

Id have liked this to be a bit better quality,but my mitre box was to small to use,and im not an experienced woodworker really.

Im hoping just the screws thru the top will provide enough strength.Later i will add some blocking to accomodate some levelers like below.

Anyway after sanding,and checking the sides,its ended up lovely and square,and fits snugly inside the panels.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 05:16:03 pm »
For a couple of days i was trying to source some reasonably priced t-molding,finally buying from a supplier in my country.It looks from the photos to be decent quality,but to be honest,i decided on it because i already had a 2mm slot cutter that it recomends.Most of the usual suppliers recomend a 1.6mm slot cutter and i didnt want to add the expense.
 So today it was back outside to give the neighbours cars a light sprinkling of sawdust. ;D
 I had a couple of hiccups with the depth moving slightly while cutting,but only slightly.Actually my panels are 18mm,and the t-molding is 3/4" so im hoping any slight deviation from centre wont be seen.

Once the sides were done,i then slotted the top panel,and the front of the bezel/CP.
Then i could start assembling the panels and see how it looked.

The front panel is still only rough cut along the top,im still unsure where my CP will sit so i wanted to leave myself options.
 Also the back top panel is not fitted,its held in place by friction.I want it to be easily removable if theres any problems with the tv in the future,and am undecided yet how it will attach.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 05:23:01 pm by lomoverde »

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 05:51:01 pm »
So im almost all caught up on the build thread.

I started decasing the tv last week.A bit soon in the build process,but the thing is dominating my dreams now :banghead:
 I followed Javeryh s thread closely and learnt the tv can sit on 2 seperate brackets instead of me struggling to cut an accurate hole in the bezel.Thats given me some ideas.

Im going for vertical orientation.Its only a 14" and im a bit unsure its big enough.Theres a lot of empty space either side of the screen (about 10cm),i briefly thought of slimming the whole cab(only briefly) so am going to see how it looks once mounted.

Anyway,i dont think im doing a great job of resizing my photos,and there now failing security checks,so ill read up on that and hopefully upload some more soon.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 06:03:33 pm »
Looks like you're off to a good start on this.  I'm kinda surprised you don't have a drawing or visual plan to go off of!  I wouldn't be brave enough to just start with building.  As far as your thought on wanting to keep a section easily removable, consider threaded inserts.  I'm using them all over the place in my build and they work quite well.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 07:50:37 am »
Looks like you're off to a good start on this.  I'm kinda surprised you don't have a drawing or visual plan to go off of!  I wouldn't be brave enough to just start with building.  As far as your thought on wanting to keep a section easily removable, consider threaded inserts.  I'm using them all over the place in my build and they work quite well.

I dont think up until now plans have really been important.Its such a basic design its genius.I think the threaded inserts will indeed be the way to go  :cheers:

Its the tv and how to mount it thats slowed my progress to a crawl now.
 If anyone could give me there opinion on a couple of things i would appreciate it.

First off ive made a template of my tv screen and am wanting to know if its going to look to small? All i can see at the moment is that bare space to the left and right.

Second,as i stand at the cab,and place my hands where the controls will be,the top panel just overlaps my view of the top of the monitor.
 The front of the CP will be lowered by 15mm(you can just see the marks on the front panel).This will create a slightly steeper angle to the CP,and lower my hands while playing so the monitor in its current position will be perfectly unobstructed.
 So i have 19cm front of CP to bottom edge of screen.Should i maybe reduce this and slide the monitor forward a little?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 09:22:27 am »
What kind of controls are you thinking about?  The screen size is probably fine.  I also think bigger is better (up to 25") but a lot of these cabarets back in the day had 13" monitors.  Once you are playing you will be fixated on the screen so it won't be as big of a deal.  Especially if the entire area is covered with glass and a black bezel of some kind (no bezel art). 

The one I'm building has a similar issue when playing vertical games.  I have a 17" CRT but it's installed 4:3 so 3:4 games have bars plus I have about 2.5" on each side from the side panel to the edge of the monitor.  So that plus the black bars is probably 4" or so.  It seems good to play so I think you will be fine.  Test it though if you have the monitor laying around.

As for the viewing angle, can you move the monitor forward at all?  I like the angle of the CP and anything else might be too steep.  You need about 6" in height for the CP for a joystick and a couple of buttons.  If you are trying to squeeze a trackball in there you might need more room.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 01:57:14 pm »
What kind of controls are you thinking about?  The screen size is probably fine.  I also think bigger is better (up to 25") but a lot of these cabarets back in the day had 13" monitors.  Once you are playing you will be fixated on the screen so it won't be as big of a deal.  Especially if the entire area is covered with glass and a black bezel of some kind (no bezel art). 

Im probably going to go joystick,3 action buttons,player 1 player 2 and an exit.
So if i give myself 6" for the CP iŽll try the screen dead centre.

I actually also have a 17"pc crt i won for 1 euro on ebay.I dont know if its this model in particular,but it seems to lack brightness running mame.Also the scanlines i tried were a bit naff.

And do you not like bezel art ?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 02:19:47 pm »
I do not like bezel art unless it is the real deal.  I'm not a huge fan of the digital stuff - seems distracting - but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 05:17:09 pm »
Last week i took the back off the tv.Like most the whole tube is attached to the front bezel section by 4 corner bolts.The circuit board is held in the bottom section of the plastic case.
 I placed it face down on a towel,undid the 4 bolts and slid the cicuit board out of the tray.

I then got a scrap of wood,and shaped it to the tube,marking the holes for the brackets as well.Its a bit of a rough job,mainly hacking away with a rasp until i got it near enough.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 05:26:23 pm »
Next i used the scrap of wood id shaped to transfer the arc and hole position on to 2 larger boards.

I decided to hack up the plastic tv case and use the housing to keep the circuit board in place and protected.

Tomorow when the glue on the bracket has dried,ill reattach the cable running round the tube.And ive knocked up a stand for the tv so i can test its still working before i think about putting it in the cab.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:34:02 pm by lomoverde »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 05:40:29 pm »
That's an interesting approach to mounting a monitor.  I may have a similar project soon and am curious to see how this turns out.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 06:46:03 am »
When i got back to the cab today,the glue had set on the brackets to hold the circuit board in place.
 The clips that held the degausing coil in place could no longer fit around the TVs corner brackets,so ive hooked them around some small screws ive put in the wooden panels.Theyre pulled quite tight to the tube and from memory in the similar position so hopefully all is good.

I couldnt wait any longer and flipped the tv over and mounted it on the temporary stand i"d made.The TV is actually quite light,and having the wood to hold makes it really easy to manouvre.

So happy when it came alive after the fortnight it had spent face down out of its case  ;D

Then i took measurements of the distance from the face of the brackets to the highest point of the screen.Fitted the battens running parallel with the CP/Glass line.Then slid the monitor in place.
 All told the TV was only in the stand id made for about an hour,but it will give me somewhere to safely store it when i break the cab down for painting later.

And a view from behind:

Just a couple of questions tho,as im in unknown territory for me:

The highest point of the TV screen is only 12mm below the glass,am i to close to have room for a card bezel?
 Also the TV innards look very exposed now,would trying to box that area in for safety be normal?.Obviously the rear door would be locked anyway.
 And last one i promise,what are typical dimensions for one of these small marquees ?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 07:58:47 am »
Cool project.  Looks good overall.  I would play with that monitor angle.  Seems pretty flat.  You could shim it up with some cardboard or the like to see if prefer a different angle.  :dunno:

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 09:43:15 am »
Cool project.  Looks good overall.  I would play with that monitor angle.  Seems pretty flat.  You could shim it up with some cardboard or the like to see if prefer a different angle.  :dunno:

Your correct,and looks like ive made the first real kicking myself mistake so far. :banghead:
 I just assumed the moniter should be on the same plane as the CP. When i stand in front of it now,the top of the screen (high score area ) is sort of disapearing over the horizon of the screen curve.
 I can see test what its like propped up at the back,ive a bit to spare before the screen will reach the glass,but will it look odd i dont know.And id planned on making a card bezel,that will be trickier if the screen is sloping but ill try later.Cheers

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 10:09:11 am »
Looking good.  You mounted that monitor a lot quicker than I mounted mine that's for sure.  I wish I had known or thought of the two piece mounting method instead of spending ages trying to cut the exact monitor shape out of MDF.

How are you going to wake the TV when you turn the cabinet on?  Most TVs I've seen need to be turned on separately (unlike a computer monitor which can be on but sleeping).  I don't think you need to cover the tube/chassis on the insides.  Most cabinets back in the day left everything exposed - no one will be able to see or more importantly touch it when you are all finished.

As for the angle, you can easily shim near the top so don't even sweat it.  For the marquee, mine is 37mm x 11mm roughly.  YMMV - there's no "right" answer to this unfortunately because all marquees are sized differently.  Whatever you decide, just make sure to keep the width to height ratio proportional.  My cabinet is 18" wide so this looked best to me.  If I had a bigger cabinet I would have upscaled the marquee opening to make it look more pleasing to the eye.  If you are doing. digital marque, you will be stretching a lot of the art so don't worry about it.  Took me a while to accept that part of it.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 11:52:12 am »
Well its thanks to Zebidee i was spared the pain of cutting a screen shaped hole,i read his post in your build thread.Also as it was in 2 halves,i didnt have to disconnect all the wires and circuit boards to get it thru the hole.For this reason i skirted the issue of discharging aswell.

The TV returns to its last state when power was cut.Im using the read only win7 build (no need to worry about corruption).So 1 power rocker switch on and off for the lot.
 In fact most CRT TVs i have do this,maybe its a european thing ?

Digital marquee ???maybe my next Tully. ;D

Shouldnt be long before i have to think about paint/art.Thanks for the tips. :cheers:

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 01:01:19 pm »
Finally got the angle of my monitor how im happy with it,had to make a slight compromise by increasing the angle of my CP from 11 to 13 degrees (it seems more than that when i look at it but it isnt.)
 In this picture you can see how ive had to run my monitor bracket at a different angle to my control panel.

When the monitor is in place you can see how i have a full unobstructed view of the screen while my hand is on the CP.

I had to cut my CP off the board that was meant to be CP/bezel all in one.I wasent sure how you incorporate the glass into this method?

Here you can see the highest point of the screen is higher than the surface of the baton,this will work well as i can fit a spacer for the glass to rest on,it will clear the screen,but be flush with the top of the CP.

Just thinking over methods to secure the CP.
 And any ideas on holding the glass in place?
I would love to route a slot either side for it to sit in ,but that could be beyond my woodworking skills.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 01:26:35 pm »
Love the thread. The galaga Tully is my favorite thing I've made. I really love the design of them. Will be doing another soon 8 way 2 button horizontal monitor. Look forward to seethe rest of this

javeryh

• Offline Offline
First upright build-Tully Cabaret Plans.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 01:38:31 pm »
I had to cut my CP off the board that was meant to be CP/bezel all in one.I wasent sure how you incorporate the glass into this method?

I think you did the right thing.  I also have a stand alone CP and I'm going to rest the glass on the batton that holds the CP and a support block on the back of my cabinet.  I will shim up the glass in the corner to make it flush with the CP and let gravity hold it in place.  Shim in the front will be 1/2” (glass is 1/4” thick and CP is 3/4” thick).

The blue tape will obviously be removed - I have a line on it marking where I want the glass to go.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:42:53 pm by javeryh »

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 01:49:05 pm »
Love the thread. The galaga Tully is my favorite thing I've made. I really love the design of them. Will be doing another soon 8 way 2 button horizontal monitor. Look forward to seethe rest of this

Cheers mate,ive read the Galaga Tully thread at least 10 times now  ;D

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 01:56:24 pm »

I think you did the right thing.  I also have a stand alone CP and I'm going to rest the glass on the batton that holds the CP and a support block on the back of my cabinet.  I will shim up the glass in the corner to make it flush with the CP and let gravity hold it in place.  Shim in the front will be 1/2” (glass is 1/4” thick and CP is 3/4” thick).

The blue tape will obviously be removed - I have a line on it marking where I want the glass to go.

Thats exactly how mine will be,ive got loads of 8mm safety glass.Its too thick i know but its free.10mm shim and it will just clear my monitor.

Do you think routing a channel (for example under the line on your blue tape) could be done ?.Then cut the glass wider so it sits inside the slot.
 im just wondering if diagonal across the ply would splinter like mad.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 02:08:49 pm »

Thats exactly how mine will be,ive got loads of 8mm safety glass.Its too thick i know but its free.10mm shim and it will just clear my monitor.

Do you think routing a channel (for example under the line on your blue tape) could be done ?.Then cut the glass wider so it sits inside the slot.
 im just wondering if diagonal across the ply would splinter like mad.

You could definitely route a channel for the glass and eliminate the need for resting it on anything assuming you can disassemble your cabinet and lay the side piece flat.  I would not try to route it out if everything is already glued together for safety reasons (a router can catch a knot or something and get away from you really quick if you don't have a good grip on it).  I'd probably go 3/8" deep if you are using 3/4" thick side panels (or 9mm if you are using 18mm).

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 02:50:15 pm »
So dont the days pass so quickly? Wasted a whole afternoon playing games on the cab,lost a couple of days thru bad weather,then finally while fannying about with the TVs geometry settings,i managed to brick the TV :cry:
 Theres a setting in the service menu that says "vertical guard"I toggled it just to see what it did,and the screen immediately went black.Restarting did nothing,remote was totally unresponsive.I found the TV manual online,and next to "vertical guard" it says do not change :banghead:

Anyway a good few hours googling and ive managed to find a reset code,hold buttons down,turn off turn on.......and im back in again.Cabnt believe i was so stupid but hey ho.

Ive finished the top panel,and the upper back panel.Ive borrowed a circular saw,and managed to angle the joining edges them both.

Quite pleased with myself after id finished that part and it looks not bad.

Also had a pop at routing a groove for the glasss to slide inside,just used a bit off scrap,but am confident to do it on the actual panels when i break the cab down for paint.

The rear upper panel ive decided to make a bit bigger than i have to,i wanted to cover a bit of the TV tube,i know most cabs would all have it exposed but its just a bit of piece of mind.The door will be plenty big enough for pc,coin door or other maintenance tasks.And the upper panel will be easily removable.Probably with threaded inserts as vertexguy recomended.Possibly with pocket screws on the uppermost part where the batons have stopped.

Seems most of the woodwork is done now.To do:

Power socket fitted into lower rear panel.
ventilation?
Control Panel layout.
Marquee/coindoor/speakers.( OK so maybe ive still got a fair bit of woodwork to do.) :lol

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 03:43:30 pm »
Across the room from this cabinet,i can see the last bartop i made.Frozen in time at the "next is the paint" stage. Bare MDF,i totally hit the wall and lost my drive at the thought of paint.

So,as ive spent many an hour staring at this job and my thoughts have been drifting towards the impending paint job.And i must admit my enthusiasm did take a dip,so i acted fast and bought some supplies.

High build primer,primer/sealer.The equivelent of bondo (hopefully).
Lots of sandpaper and differing grades of wet and dry.Some new spatulas,acetone,white spirit.Some decent masking tape.
And a couple of different types of roller.I have no idea what the diference is,only that the brown one cost a lot more.

That lot came to nearly 100euros,so its safe to say im commited to complete.
Its 100 euros now,but the tins of primer look very small,and i havent bought the top colour yet

Ive got a lot more enthusiasm back and will up the pace again.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:00:02 pm by lomoverde »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 01:35:37 pm »
Awesome can't wait. Because if this, I've decided to get off ---my bottom--- and start sourcing parts for another Tully. Managed to get everything besides wood and t mounding. So I might have to start a project thread soon.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 02:20:04 pm »
Across the room from this cabinet,i can see the last bartop i made.Frozen in time at the "next is the paint" stage. Bare MDF,i totally hit the wall and lost my drive at the thought of paint.

It's not the paint... it's the bar top.  After building one I realized that they look really cool on the internet but in practice they are just... OK, I guess?  It's neat don't get me wrong but it's not really portable so where do you put it?  Anyway, once you put on the primer and sand it down you will start to se the cabinet take shape.  Painting is a pain but it's also the part where your project really starts looking like something more than just some wood/MDF thrown together.  Get it done!!

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 02:55:06 pm »
Awesome can't wait. Because if this, I've decided to get off ---my bottom--- and start sourcing parts for another Tully. Managed to get everything besides wood and t mounding. So I might have to start a project thread soon.

That reminds me....
                           Ive dismantled all the panels again,i routed out the slot inside each panel for the glass to sit in.And masked off the areas that would have batons glued to it.

I took one of my big pieces of 8mm safety glass to the nearest open glaziers.I asked them to cut it for me into 2 sheets the size i want ( so id have a spare,or for my next Tully) and they refused....said they didnt have the correct equipment :dunno

So i ordered a piece 6mm thick from them,i was so annoyed i didnt even think of asking for tinted,but i hadent really researched it anyway and wouldnt have known what to ask for.
Anyway,20Euros for the glass,i was expecting to pay more than that for them to cut mine,so not too bad.

Cut a hole in the lower back panel for the power socket:

Getting a bit more confident with the router now,so made the hole a bit tidier.

For some reason,my socket only has 3 terminals behind the switch,every guide on the internet has 4,so ill just buy another and hope there all the same size.

The filler i bought is just like Bondo i guess.I watched a video by Ond and have got the hang of how much to mix now and cut down on waste.

So ive filled the joins on the base.

Sanded that down today and it looks quite smart.

Ive sealed every panel,used Bondo on the dings and holes.When i opened up the high build primer i found another mistake.For some reason i didnt read all the label,and it is a putty,not roll on as id thought.

Anyway ive found its really good for the large areas,if i drag it across with a metal spatula it fills the grain and small scratches really well.
Spent hours sanding every panel this afternoon,the amount of dust was quite alarming at first ;D

I feel like im cutting corners a bit,but im leaving all unseen sections inside just primed.And only glaring dings filled.

Bought some black for the base,and the main colour also.

Ordered my marquee last week,but dont want to cut the front panel until it arrives,still need to buy the coin door and mount the speakers.
Sort out some ventilation (if its needed ?)
CP overlay and Bezel art.
Sideart  :-\

Ive got a couple of cheap joysticks lying around,but want to buy a servostik.Bought some gols leaf buttons last week.
 Seems to be racking up the costs,so some of these parts might have to wait until i can open my bar again.

So actually looking forward to seeing the top coat colour tomorrow.Just bought a small tin as im a bit unsure its right,,,but we will see.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 03:01:07 pm »

It's not the paint... it's the bar top.  After building one I realized that they look really cool on the internet but in practice they are just... OK, I guess?  It's neat don't get me wrong but it's not really portable so where do you put it?  Anyway, once you put on the primer and sand it down you will start to se the cabinet take shape.  Painting is a pain but it's also the part where your project really starts looking like something more than just some wood/MDF thrown together.  Get it done!!

I think your right,it seems a shame to just throw it away tho,so i may just finish it quickly and use the cheap controls i bought years ago.
 But for now that can wait...(possibly for several years)

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 03:45:14 pm »
So what's the art theme? Or is it a secret?

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 04:18:22 pm »
So what's the art theme? Or is it a secret?

Haha,no secret no.
 When i was starting the build it was a toss up between my favourite game "Hunchback" or one of my favourite artworks "Scramble"

Scramble it will be.

I think the yellow ive bought is a terrible match,but ill know tomorrow.Does it even have to be identical? i dont think so.

I love the scramble bezel,and im going to try and adjust the sideart to just be a sort of oval sticker,and adapt the CP a bit.But after following some Youtube guides found its beyond my abilities ;D.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2021, 07:38:11 pm »
For some reason,my socket only has 3 terminals behind the switch,every guide on the internet has 4,so ill just buy another and hope there all the same size.
. . . or look on the wiki for details on how to wire the three terminal switch version.   ;D

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Wiring#3-Tab_Switch

Scott

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 04:02:19 am »
Aaah sorry,thats embarassing.
 Ive developed a habit of flicking to google when i dont understand something or want to find something out.
 Thank you for the pointer :cheers:

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2021, 01:04:43 pm »
Ive painted some of the panels with there first coat,and im quite pleased with it so far.

ive got a bit of uneven colour because im painting on the sealer/primer and patches of the high build primer.Theres a bit of orange peel in patches,but overall im pleased with the colour.

I think im right saying i can sand down this coat with 220,then apply and repeat.
Im going to give it 12 hours which will hopofuly be enough.

Also i got some good news from the government today that i can open up again on the 2nd of March.So i now have a deadline to get this thing finished.
With that in mind i cut the hole for the coin door,but Im still going to hold back with the marquee.Tomorrow Ill also have a look at the speakers.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2021, 02:03:51 pm »
GREAT color choice.  That thing pops. 

I think im right saying i can sand down this coat with 220,then apply and repeat.
Im going to give it 12 hours which will hopofuly be enough.

Yup.  220 grit is fine.  I would put on as many coats as you think is necessary but minimum 2.  Orange peel is to be expected but it's really not as big of a deal as you think when you are painting.  I have a DK with orange peel and all I see is "baby blue cabinet" and I have another pink one with a piano finish and no orange peel whatsoever and all I see is "pink cabinet".  I spent a few hours max on the DK and weeks on end on the pink one so orange peel all the way for me from now on.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 02:11:07 pm »
Little update on progress.
 Have actually quite enjoyed the painting process,Im far from great at it,but ive learnt a hell of a lot,thru trial and error,and am looking forward to nailing my next cab.This one is as good as im going to try to get it now.
 Firstly Ill echo what others have said about buying decent masking tape.Removed it from my panels and had a super sharp line.

I decided to give the inside one quick coat to smarten it up,its not going to be seen but its removed all my pencil lines.Just one slight mistake,on one panel i taped off the wrong area.Id changed the monitor angle earlier in the build,and put the tape on the original position :banghead: Not to worry tho,ive sanded the paint off in the correct area,so the glue should bond fine.

Quite happy with the colour.Its bright but the parts and t-molding should set it off nice.

On the subject of t-molding,my panels are 18mm,and my molding is 19mm.Im a bit worried about marking the paint as i trim it.

Ive seen the fastcap edge trimmer,but was wondering if it will mark the paint as it slides along,or would masking tape be enough to protect it.

I saw a video on Johns Arcade where he uses the long edge on the back of his cab to place the molding , trim it ,then move it along and trim some more. This saved him having to manouvre the trimmer around the corners. (his trim was not centred btw)
I thought i could maybe slot a length of scrap and do the same.
 I know someone had suggested sliding a chisel along,but dont feel confident enough for that.

Probably try to find one of those fastcap trimmers local.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 02:41:56 pm »
Honestly, I'd just let it hang over each edge by 0.5mm.  That's almost nothing!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 03:10:58 pm »
I would do them same. It will look fine. I put zero thought into the t mold. Just slotted it, pounded it in and cut the excess.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 03:13:58 pm »
I would do them same. It will look fine. I put zero thought into the t mold. Just slotted it, pounded it in and cut the excess.

Maybe,,It feels like a hell of a lot more than 0.5mm though when i tried a small sample.

I suppose its another lesson learnt tho,IŽll never work with 18mm wood again if i can help it.
The other lesson i learnt today was next time route a slot slightly wider than the thickness of the glass  :lol