Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Alternative to Jpac?  (Read 1850 times)

SORHP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 09:49:39 pm
Alternative to Jpac?
« on: January 23, 2021, 09:01:50 pm »
Checking to see if there is an alternative to the Jpac for the protection of the video signal to an arcade monitor?
Games: Super Punch Out, Fix It Felix Jr, DK, DKjr, DK3, PC10, UMK3, TRON, MS-Pac, Pac, Centipede (2x), Robotron, Galaga, Space Invaders, Street Fighter 2 CE, X-Men vs SF, BuckHunter HD, 2X Custom Vewlix, Custom Nintendo VS 3/4, Atomiswave

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Alternative to Jpac?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 08:48:52 pm »
see gambaman's awesome VGA-to-Scart adapter thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160869.0.html

I'm working on an update to the mod mentioned in post # 49 of that thread. It's double-ended now, male on one end and female on the other. Basically it takes RGBHV in, and if H-sync is running at 15Khz the green light comes on and it passes c-sync out the female end. It requires you to make the circuit board, install it between a male and female connector, and then to connect R, G & B from input to output - so if the sync is withheld you still get a scrambled video image, but it's the sync that's dangerous.

It's obviously ONLY a 15kHz video protection circuit, not a video buffer or amp (the latter being usually required by an arcade monitor) nor a keyboard/joystick encoder. If you're not into soldering i could probably sell you one once i finish making them.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:53:02 pm
Re: Alternative to Jpac?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 08:42:33 am »
This spinoff idea of yours (and gambaman's original scart adapter of course) has some potential I think. Well done  :applaud:

By keeping it to a simple vga in/out, there are a lot of ways to use it in cabs and other setups. Just plug in at each end.

Even without the VGA jacks, it could be used as a drop-in module for other projects.
Check out my completed projects!