Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need to power off USB ports on shut down  (Read 1342 times)

cjspizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2021, 12:04:03 pm
  • All I have in this world is my word and my balls.
Need to power off USB ports on shut down
« on: January 23, 2021, 07:20:15 pm »
Does anyone here have experience with the Digital Loggers IoT Relay 2? From my research (see the "PC USB Power Connection Example" section about half way down the page, I can plug my PC into the "Always ON" outlet then plug a USB cable into my PC with the other end of the USB cable connected to the relay on the power strip. With that setup, when I power on the PC, power goes to the relay from the USB port, then the relay will turn on anything plugged into the "Normally OFF" outlets (marquee lights, speaker amp, coin door, and monitor).

Unfortunately, every single USB port (rear and header) are still powered when the computer is Shut Down. That means none of the components get shut down. The power from the USB ports are constantly triggering the relay to power them. I need to figure out how to have at least one port power off when the PC shuts down.

I'm running Windows 7 with an old abit motherboard, and there's nothing helpful in the abit user manual. I'm positive the PC is not in Sleep or Hibernate. From my research, many people have suggested that unchecking the "Turn on fast startup" in Control Panel > Power Management will fix the problem. I've followed several different directions to find this setting but cannot. Does anyone have any suggestion for finding this setting in Windows 7?

Alternatively, does anyone have other suggestions for turning off a USB port when my PC shuts down?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Need to power off USB ports on shut down
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 08:53:08 pm »
Your problem is you are using the usb port.  Get a molex extension cable for one of your power rails inside the pc and hook it up to that.  Those rails always turn off even if the pc just goes to sleep. 

Before doing that though try every single usb port on the pc.... sometimes the motherboard is set up to where some usb ports are in standby mode for wake on keyboard and some aren't.   Also yeah, turn off wake on keyboard in your bios. 

billthecat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2023, 09:23:23 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 04:31:49 pm »
Try going to Devices and Printers. 

Right-click your device.

Properties

Hardware tab

Properties again

Change Settings

Power Management

Uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"

You can also get to this via the Device Manager, but things are labeled better in Devices and Printers (e.g., "Lenovo Mouse," or "Ultimarc Minipac."

I never shut my PC off, only sleep.  When it goes to sleep, for the mouse that I did this to, it seems like the device is still powered for 20 minutes or so (I can see the power light in my mouse).  But then the mouse light goes out and moving the mouse doesn't wake up the PC anymore. 

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 05:26:24 pm »
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:32:51 pm by Osirus23 »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 06:31:16 pm »
I'm adding my voice to say get 5v from PC power.

Search for "Molex 4 Pin male connector" on your favourite online marketplace. For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-sets-DIY-PC-Power-Connector-4P-4-Pin-White-Male-Molex-Mod-Crimp-Plug-Pins-Pin/162262320392?hash=item25c7968508:g:ZcYAAOSwtfhYrsaP

They are very useful so grab a pack.

Cut some red/black wires to desired length, strip and crimp, job done.

Check out my completed projects!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:56:40 pm »
You can also get SATA connectors that are even easier don't even need to strip and crimp wires - just push wire through the little blades, clip the top closed and cut off any excess.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-STRAIGHT-MALE-SATA-PC-PSU-POWER-SUPPLY-CONNECTOR-CAPS-PK-OF-5/222919824156?hash=item33e70e931c:g:9bEAAOSwOd1azhh9

EDIT: sorry those are female despite the description
EDIT2: male after all, just has a little condom on
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:03:04 pm by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!