Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New cabinet build named... 'ehukai !  (Read 36099 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: New cabinet build named... 'ehukai !
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2021, 11:09:47 pm »
Well, if my Mai Tai recipe line up gets past the bots then all is well
 >:D

This concoction is probably most responsible for this build- and depending on how you feel about the S.S. Marshmallow you may want to avoid the mixture.
If anyone wants the details/ratios I'll happily post the recipe for a legitimate Mai Tai here  :)

Anyway, I had a few minutes while waiting for the oil in the generator to drain (and no, even though now I have primary line poles and a transformer next to my house, I STILL do not have grid based power yet...) so I figured I could burn a few moments on the cabinet.

If anyone made a load center appropriate for these things I would probably use it.

I can say that after cluing in on some tips from people here FAR better at it than I, my soldering skills are coming along- so thanks y'all !
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2021, 12:26:44 am »
One thing I'll say about electrical stuff.

I often have a few whiskeys while I'm doing my wiring, it seems to help lubricate things along a bit better.

But when dealing with mains voltage stuff at 110/220v+, leave it until the morning (or after a sleep) before turning it on. Occasionally I've found accidental (stupid) surprises left by my former inebriated self.
Check out my completed projects!

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2021, 02:16:45 am »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:07:28 pm by jennifer »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2021, 05:00:50 am »
That wire seems quite extreme and excessive dude, Never seen anything quite like that in a arcade machine...What is that 10ga.

12g solid thhn sister!  Overkill for sure.

I wind up with a LOT of scrap wire in my work life and seems a shame to toss it when I can use some for such purposes  ;D

Another thing I could be rightfully accused of hoarding I guess.
Got a regular rats nest of it I need to sort through.
Probably could build 100 cabinets with what I have on the floor of the shop at the moment!

One thing I'll say about electrical stuff.

I often have a few whiskeys while I'm doing my wiring, it seems to help lubricate things along a bit better.

But when dealing with mains voltage stuff at 110/220v+, leave it until the morning (or after a sleep) before turning it on. Occasionally I've found accidental (stupid) surprises left by my former inebriated self.

A wise suggestion!
I think I am following this rule without even thinking of it.

Most days at work (like today) I have my hand in a live panel, and occasionally I'm working on live circuits outside of one for the sake of expediency.
I have a great respect for the destructive force of electrons and their search for the ground.  ;)

I have a lot of things left yet to do in this life, so I am actually very cautious.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2021, 05:27:05 am »
Had a few minutes after dinner to try to do something and got all motivated.

Mounted some usb plugs under the control panel for console controllers to use with the MiSTer.

Then it occurred to me that I hadn't actually seen how the monitor and bezel were going to fit together actually inside the cabinet at the same time, so I couldn't help but try to stuff the monitor in there and...

It's alive!!!

Need to get better signal cables for the amp since it buzzes like mad.

Now if I don't get some controls in that panel this week and get some software in the PC sorted it will make me nutty.

A few more details to figure out but I think it will actually work.
 :o

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2021, 06:04:20 am »
I know there's a long way to go, but looks awesome already.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2021, 09:34:34 am »
That looks fantastic.  Like something made in a factory.   :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2021, 09:35:57 am »

This concoction is probably most responsible for this build- and depending on how you feel about the S.S. Marshmallow you may want to avoid the mixture.
If anyone wants the details/ratios I'll happily post the recipe for a legitimate Mai Tai here  :)

Please and thank you!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2021, 09:39:59 am »
Looks great - hard to believe it's made out of plywood.  You are getting so close to finishing!  Couple more of those Mai Tais should do the trick.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2021, 10:20:38 am »
Whoa that control panel is way too shiny.  Gonna be hard to play with the glare.....

Ha just kidding...I'm just jealous I don't have the patience to create glossy finishes.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2021, 02:42:43 pm »
I know there's a long way to go, but looks awesome already.

Thanks Zebidee. And you are correct about a long way yet.
Some light leakage issues and the back panel are all that's left for the box itself I think.
I think I'll have more fun with what is left.
I'm stoked to have a good platform to learn more about the software side of all this too.

That looks fantastic.  Like something made in a factory.   :cheers:

It is good enough for me, but given the company in these parts I think it only merits a B- actually.
I aspire to the fit and finish produced by many here!
My next one will be better.
 :)

Looks great - hard to believe it's made out of plywood.  You are getting so close to finishing!  Couple more of those Mai Tais should do the trick.

I have discovered through this build that a mix of good plywood and mdf is the way to go in future builds.
There are places where it is silly not to take advantage of the different properties of the materials and had I used mdf in spots with this one it would have saved a LOT of time and frustration!

Whoa that control panel is way too shiny.  Gonna be hard to play with the glare.....

Ha just kidding...I'm just jealous I don't have the patience to create glossy finishes.

This has been a concern!
All other surfaces surrounding the screen actually are a matte finish at the moment (only sanded to 400) due to worries about glare.
I have been thinking that maybe the control panel will need to get knocked down a bit but we will see after some playing.

Thanks y'all for tagging along for the mayhem!  :cheers:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2021, 03:09:23 pm »

Please and thank you!

Sorry- almost forgot wp34!

A sailor's drink for sure.  Lots of rum  :)
There is a long running debate about who came up with the Mai Tai originally.
A real one does NOT have a bunch of orange or pineapple juice in it!

Here is my take, with a substitute for one type of rum that was purportedly $60k/ bottle.

Big glass with a lot of ice
*Juice of one whole lime- freshly squeezed.
  To get the most out of it, before you cut it in half, give that lime a good solid pressure roll across the cutting board until it is squishy.  Then split and squeeze.  The more lime juice the better!

Equal parts (1 oz is a good measure for a reasonably sized drink.  I often double this  >:D )
*Simple syrup (If you have trouble finding any, it's just equal parts cane sugar and water- warmed up to dissolve.)
*Orange curacao
*Dark rum (Pussers Gunpowder Proof, Kraken or Captain Morgan Black- something with molasses!)
*Amber oaked rum (Bacardi Oakheart or Spiced)
*Orgeat syrup

2 parts
*White rum

Pour over your ice.
At this point I usually give the lime halves another last squeeze- you'll get some more juice out of them by now.
Stir and enjoy!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2021, 05:10:09 pm »
YUM YUM

Use real fresh-squeezed limes every time, mark of a true bartender. Don't use that lime cordial stuff in the bottle, throw it away (but recycle the bottle :) )

Real sailors need real lime to fight scurvy!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2021, 10:01:13 am »

Please and thank you!

Here is my take, with a substitute for one type of rum that was purportedly $60k/ bottle.

To get the most out of it, before you cut it in half, give that lime a good solid pressure roll across the cutting board until it is squishy.  Then split and squeeze.  The more lime juice the better!

Equal parts (1 oz is a good measure for a reasonably sized drink.  I often double this  >:D )
*Simple syrup (If you have trouble finding any, it's just equal parts cane sugar and water- warmed up to dissolve.)
*Orange curacao
*Dark rum (Pussers Gunpowder Proof, Kraken or Captain Morgan Black- something with molasses!)
*Orgeat syrup

2 parts
*White rum

Pour over your ice.
At this point I usually give the lime halves another last squeeze- you'll get some more juice out of them by now.
Stir and enjoy!

I may need to start drinking again.   :drool

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2021, 10:36:52 am »

Please and thank you!

*Orange curacao
*Orgeat syrup

2 parts
*White rum

Pour over your ice.
Stir and enjoy!

Thanks!  I may try this on Saturday.  Your lime tip makes a lot of sense.   :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2021, 10:11:02 pm »
I had to replace the Orange curacao for Blue as I couldn't find any Orange.  But wow is this fantastic!  Very strong.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2021, 02:21:58 am »
That cabinet is fantastic!
And the coasters are awesome too.

Glad you like the concoction.  Usually the problem is finding orgeat syrup.
The Liber & Co. people in Texas make the best orgeat (among other mixers!) that I have found anywhere.
I typically make my own stuff when possible, but I really don't have time for blanching and boiling pounds of almonds
 :laugh2:

I'll need to try your mix with blue in lieu of orange now.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2021, 02:33:12 am »
I had to replace the Orange curacao for Blue as I couldn't find any Orange.  But wow is this fantastic!  Very strong.

lol, took me a moment to tell your coasters apart from the art, nice.

If you have a little extra cash, get some Cointreau or Grand Marnier to replace the orange curacao, you'll be very happy :D

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2021, 03:24:17 am »

lol, took me a moment to tell your coasters apart from the art, nice.

If you have a little extra cash, get some Cointreau or Grand Marnier to replace the orange curacao, you'll be very happy :D

Have to try that one too!
Why did I never think of that?!
 :lol

And to the topic...

Finally got to start on controls and discovered that:

1. I have been so preoccupied with the cabinet that I forgot I hadn't sorted out the joystick situation.  Need to run the router some more I think.
2. In spite of having a U-HID and enough wire to choke a full grown blue whale, I probably don't have enough female spade connectors here to finish the thing at the moment no matter what the hell I put in it  :banghead:

And so...

A great excuse to order more cool stuff!  It has comically really cut into my surfing schedule, but I am grateful (I really am) that I have been able to stay busy working the last year and have a little $ to blow on this hobby and help in keeping me sane.

I'll be able to report on what the VAT from the UK to Hawai'i looks like anyway.

Current speed bumps didn't stop me from trying to begin the fun part anyway (with some moral support from the OG feline at the ranch, Elsa.)

I'm still at a loss for button colors (princess problems) but still have a drawer full of the things to choose from at this point.

I forgot that if I hope to have help from members of my household in moving this thing upstairs to the workshop loft then I really need to pull the monitor back out and lighten it up a bit.

And I am going to add a line filter to the power inlet since the thing is so damn noisy in terms of audio (it's the cheap amp I imagine.)

Anyone know if a 4 amp filter will be enough to handle your average not crazy lighting, small audio amp, Dell PC, real arcade monitor cabinet build?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:54:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2021, 11:34:48 am »
I am going to add a line filter to the power inlet since the thing is so damn noisy in terms of audio (it's the cheap amp I imagine.)

Anyone know if a 4 amp filter will be enough to handle your average not crazy lighting, small audio amp, Dell PC, real arcade monitor cabinet build?
4A sounds too small.   :scared

To calculate the correct value, add up the current draw of all the power supplies/components and add some wiggle room. (15-20%?)

Some components may only list the watts instead of current, but it's an easy conversion.
- For example, if the PC has a 120 Volt, 400 Watt power supply, you can use formula W = V * A to solve for Amps.
  400W = 120V * Amps
  Amps = 400W/120v
  3.33 Amps

Scott

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2021, 11:47:55 am »
I am going to add a line filter to the power inlet since the thing is so damn noisy in terms of audio (it's the cheap amp I imagine.)

To calculate the correct value, add up the current draw of all the power supplies/components and add some wiggle room. (15-20%?)

Some components may only list the watts instead of current, but it's an easy conversion.
- For example, if the PC has a 120 Volt, 400 Watt power supply, you can use formula W = V * A to solve for Amps.
  400W = 120V * Amps
  Amps = 400W/120v
  3.33 Amps

Scott
Dude, few people in this world know what that means come to find out, But it does put a smile on this Princesses face, cause you are not wrong, Curiously Tesla had an obsession with 3, In my studies of that it seems to bring me to Pi, Now Jenn has gone half crazy too, Lol...Nice cab Bobby, that did turn out to be something special. :applaud:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:56:26 am by jennifer »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2021, 12:21:48 pm »
Curiously Tesla had an obsession with 3, In my studies of that it seems to bring me to Pi
So you're saying I should have used an example with a 376.991112 Watt PC power supply?   ;)   :lol

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2021, 02:08:17 pm »
You all are far too funny.

And why wouldn't it be Scott to suggest something so sensible and useful as just using real math!

I also forgot I can just use an amperage draw fork on the main cord in and see reality probably.

Thanks for the compliment Jenn.
It has been fun to see it come together (mostly) as planned!

Looking forward to playing it!
Maybe another week or two here finally.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2021, 03:05:35 pm »
I can just use an amperage draw fork on the main cord in and see reality probably.
That's good for measuring normal operating conditions, however it won't accurately measure the short but large inrush current when you first power on the system.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2021, 07:03:52 pm »
I can just use an amperage draw fork on the main cord in and see reality probably.
That's good for measuring normal operating conditions, however it won't accurately measure the short but large inrush current when you first power on the system.

Scott

Quite true.
The spike in draw just from the 27" Kortek on its own is probably pretty sizeable.
I was hoping to find a source for a good quality 6 amp one as it was.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2021, 11:52:34 pm »

400W = 120V * Amps
  Amps = 400W/120v
  3.33 Amps

Scott
Dude, few people in this world know what that means come to find out, But it does put a smile on this Princesses face, cause you are not wrong, Curiously Tesla had an obsession with 3, In my studies of that it seems to bring me to Pi, Now Jenn has gone half crazy too, Lol...Nice cab Bobby, that did turn out to be something special. :applaud:

I've learned not to argue with PL1. He is right of course.

Scott

Quite true.
The spike in draw just from the 27" Kortek on its own is probably pretty sizeable.
I was hoping to find a source for a good quality 6 amp one as it was.

Good rule of thumb is to go 2x or higher than normal estimated need, to be sure.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2021, 07:28:05 pm »
Appreciate the wisdom on power gentlemen!

A bit of progress- or maybe more just entertainment.

Got to the point where I was not going to be creating any more dust storms with the main cabinet body so figured it was time to relocate upstairs to the loft part of the workshop (or "The Pouty House" as the lady likes to refer to it- heheh.)

THAT was when I discovered that apparently not all trim on 36" doors are created equal- and the cabinet was about 3/8" too wide to fit through the damn door!  :banghead:
Always a first for something stupid.

Easiest solution...?  Pull the door out- the whole frame that is.

Thankfully I haven't had time to trim out everything up there yet anyway (kinda thought this might be an issue for something) so it was quick.
Lesson... take a measurement of the specific door in question during design phase.

Now onto what I like, control panel fun.
Had to run the router to sink the sticks deep enough to feel proper.  Love my Milwaukee stuff.
This portable vac unit that plugs right into the router makes for a zero dust routing setup.

Now I know that most everyone has strong opinions on joysticks and I am still learning what mine are at this point, but for this machine I wanted to have 4 to 8 way switchable sticks.
I am first trying Mag-Stik Plus units.

I had swapped a pair into the cocktail-ish cabinet I made first and I am MOSTLY satisfied with them, except that the Sanwa switches in them have a pretty high actuation pressure (not sure exactly what it is- but it is the heaviest of all I have encountered) and they have a VERY snappy engagement and are REALLY loud too.

I anticipate that it may be that these switches are intended to counteract the effect of the pressure of the magnetic centering and so switches with other characteristics may be a failure-, BUT...

Can't help myself.  With my tinker til it hurts mantra, I still need to try other ones to see if I might like something else more.

So I figured why not try a bunch all at once, and this particular panel seemed like a great test bed.

Once all set up, I will just map controls in a few games so that any stick on the panel could be used and just go back and forth in game to compare characteristics and see what I like best.

Seems like Pac-Man and DK would be the seminal choice for testing 4 way function but apart from Xevious I am having issues coming up with something I am familiar with that would be a good litmus test for 8 way function.
Thoughts anyone?  I will try anything my machine runs at 100% speed really.

And so...
One stick with original Sanwa switches, another with some Cherry ones that I had to swap levers into (I'll have to look at exactly which model,) Zippy ones that came from RandyT in his MicroLeaf switches and some other ones that I got from a local supply house that I will need to get details on also I suppose.

I have a little soldering to do but my back is killing me and I can't do much else at the moment anyway.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2021, 08:16:54 pm »
Nice to see progress!

You've got yourself some nice soldering stuff there and I am only slightly jealous of your router/vac setup :D

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2021, 08:44:12 pm »
Looking good!   :cheers:

That looks like a fun router.  Amazing they can make those things wireless now.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2021, 04:20:19 am »
Thank you both  :cheers:

I'm a bit of a Milwaukee ho really, but for electricians (and even more so plumbers from what my friends tell me) it appears hard to beat them for strong, well thought out tailored tools.

It is remarkable how battery power has changed things, hasn't it?
So much of this stuff is so convenient and powerful that it makes work a hell of a lot easier than it was even just 10 years ago.

Now if my back will loosen up and I can get the monitor up the stairs and fitted again the real fun can begin.

I really can't recall anymore where I was in terms of software setup.
It will be entertaining to see where I was at with CRTemudriver now that I think about it!
 :dizzy:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2021, 11:38:01 am »
Just from the random little pics of outside in this thread I can tell you live in a really awesome place.  Hawaii, right?  Had to cancel a 2 week vacation there because of the pandemic.  I’ll get back there someday...

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2021, 02:34:54 pm »
Hawai'i really is remarkable.  I'm lucky to have been a bunch of cool places in my life but I can say this is the best one to call home for me.

Came here to surf, stayed for everything else really.
The people are really nice, pace of life is certainly geared more to an enjoy it all kind of zen, the food is good, weather doesn't suck obviously...

For those who want a fast paced urban lifestyle, this ain't the spot, but other than that, only a few drawbacks from my seat.

I miss playing in the snow every winter and there is nowhere to drive your car fast-

And all the real arcade cabs have disappered!

Soon I will be building out the 500 sq ft in-laws style spot here and then it's one less excuse any byoac-er will have to NOT come to Hawai'i !
 8)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2021, 02:40:40 pm »
Consider my flight booked.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2021, 04:26:00 pm »

I miss playing in the snow every winter and there is nowhere to drive your car fast-

What?!?!?

I thought everyone raced along free-ways in Hawaii with an ocean drop and no guard rail on one side and a rock wall on the other.  :'(

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2021, 05:58:46 pm »

What?!?!?

I thought everyone raced along free-ways in Hawaii with an ocean drop and no guard rail on one side and a rock wall on the other.  :'(

:o With that moustache, must be Mario chillin out between games.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2021, 08:52:02 pm »
I’ve only been to Hawaii once, but man, it’s beautiful. I’d go back to the North Shore in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2021, 11:58:11 pm »

What?!?!?

A lot more people out here now compared to Magnum days!
Most places that it could be done still it is irresponsible to drive that way.
 :(

I’ve only been to Hawaii once, but man, it’s beautiful. I’d go back to the North Shore in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is epic for sure- and in a few months you could make a good excuse for another trip.
I just have to get the kitchen and bathroom built.

I literally stalked this piece of land before it was for sale and was first in line when it finally was.
It took everything we had plus some and is a crazy amount of work still- but worth the pain.
It's a wide open view up the coast to Waimea Bay from the front yard.
Completely insane- and in my case, proof that thoughts are things.

Consider my flight booked.

Sounds like there should be a roster for a byoac field trip.
Would be excellent fun to finally meet a bunch of you.

As long as I can get this cabinet finished!
 :laugh2:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: May 03, 2021, 05:24:42 am »
FINALLY got 'ehukai reassembled after relocation upstairs and got to work on making it actually functional.

Not much progress though really- still fighting with Windows to get what I want out of this thing.

The first box I put in it, the audio was so chattery and scattered that it was stupid.  Couldn't figure out what was wrong except probably that the processor isn't up to the task.
CoreDuo in an old Dell, I think 2.6ghz if I remember properly, but I still only have a 0.197 set which I didn't think was really that demanding for audio- but I'm not that savvy.

I can't update any of that currently as it's been 2.5 years of a third world internet connection for me at the new place- and I'm over it.
The .106 set I am pulling for the vector project has been almost 17 days and is not quite 90% right now!
Maybe in a month or so we will get a reasonable speed connection radioed up from where there is a fiber line a few LOS miles from here and I can get back in the Q-bit community again.

Anyway, the second PC I stuffed in there seems to be behaving better but we'll see how I can manage with controller IDs.
I know it has been asked many times and explained but the code to sort that out makes my hair hurt just looking at it.
Maybe Dr. Venture's fix is the way?!

Once I get stability for that crap sorted then I can pray to get a clean CRTemu and groovymame load and life will be grand!

And I thought a picture of it sitting in the intended spot might explain part of the ridiculous form factor decisions.

I DID however sort out which of the switch setups I preferred for the Mag-Stik Plus units.  Took about 25 seconds of Ms. Pac-Man to decide, an opinion further cemented with a few minutes of Xevious.

Given the 4 choices of:
-The original Sanwa switches
-The Micro Leaf with Zippy micro switches
-Some other unbranded micro size ones that look like the old volcano button switches
-The old white Cherry switches that Happ used to put in their buttons

Survey says...

The old Cherry ones.

They are the only set of the four which for me (in this application at least) combine the elements of:
-Nice smooth engagement sensation (not a ton of 'snap' on and off)
-Good middle of the road engagement pressure (maybe 50g or so?)
-Not absolutely silent, but NOT really loud
-Didn't seem to false (or fail to!) trigger
-Allow the stick to return to center at a nice rate and don't false trigger by going past center

Not sure what other criteria one might consider, but these traits where what seemed to me to be what was most desirable and how to describe them.

Those Cherry ones are some 40 series one it appears.  I read that Happ opted for a different vendor years back and I have had trouble finding exactly what currently available switch to substitute.
At least I have enough of these switches scavenged off some buttons that I think I can populate the whole panel with them now while I wait to find a new replacement for future purposes.

And although they are far too light an actuation for me here as a joystick switch (wanted to try them anyway just in case...) I can say however that those Zippy Micro Leaf switches from Randy T are very nice as button switches.  The mounting plate to make them work is quite cool and as a button switch they really do feel like an old leaf- to me anyway.

It appears I may have to frankenbuild a PC from pieces here to get a functional box for the MAME portion of 'ehukai - or wait for a craigslist score.

I wanted to get that portion finished before I started in with the parallel MiSTer system but integrating the Kortek 2938 and the U-HID for both may get kinda sticky (or be impossible.)  I will post progress if I make any.

Of course if it continues to frustrate me I may need to walk away from it for a week to wait for inspiration.

And then I DO always have that Jrok Williams and the GreenAntz board from Zebidee that would be a good distraction and those would be an easy build and are months overdue for getting put to use...

Aloha!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: May 03, 2021, 06:06:36 am »
Not much progress though really- still fighting with Windows to get what I want out of this thing.

I saw you had to pull the door frame off - trying to get it through the windows now?   :dunno

Ok Okaaaaay, please excuse my dad joke  :laugh2:

The first box I put in it, the audio was so chattery and scattered that it was stupid.  Couldn't figure out what was wrong except probably that the processor isn't up to the task.
CoreDuo in an old Dell, I think 2.6ghz if I remember properly, but I still only have a 0.197 set which I didn't think was really that demanding for audio- but I'm not that savvy.

Try updating your BIOS, chipset and audio drivers if there are any available.

And then I DO always have that Jrok Williams and the GreenAntz board from Zebidee that would be a good distraction and those would be an easy build and are months overdue for getting put to use...
  \o/   :applaud:

Sabaay dii  :afro:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2021, 11:21:33 am »
It has a real "candy" cabinet vibe that I wasn't getting from the construction pictures.  I really love how that turned out.   :cheers: