Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New cabinet build named... 'ehukai !  (Read 36487 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
New cabinet build named... 'ehukai !
« on: January 23, 2021, 07:04:33 am »
I had been thinking about making a cabinet the same form factor as shaolindrunkard's very cool latest build and figured why not start a fresh project (that maybe I can actually finish in a month?!) while I wait for the solution to fix what I have screwed up on my monster multi-panel build to finally occur to me.

I've always liked the architectural work of Charles Haertling and my affinity/familiarity with parabolic curves in surfboards made me think that an unconventional shape cabinet would be a fun challenge.

Still haven't come to a final decision on the artwork yet but the cabinet body has a sweeping motion that suggests a wave, so I thought 'ehukai - the hawai'ian word for sea spray- was appropriate for a name.
Water elements in some organic fashion will enter the picture for graphic treatment eventually.
And the wacky lines of this thing will certainly require some fiberglass and resin work also- but that was the intent.

Design elements:
Sit-at side by side two player.
CRT (of course!) horizontal
Wide enough for two adults to (reasonably) comfortably sit at and also properly accommodate the 27" CRT in terms of viewing angle and proportions.
Control panel designed to accommodate a dozen of MY favorite games and a few early era 2 player simultaneous ones- but not have too much franken-flavor.
Not have any t-molding or edge taping- anywhere.
Be as short as possible and just narrow enough to get through a 36" door.
Run GroovyMame on Windows 10 utilizing Calamity's brilliance.

Since the monitor was already a known and I had a rough cabinet profile it was time to lay out the controls.

I roughed out the cabinet sides to make sure I could get the monitor in at an angle that was comfortable for viewing from a 20"-24" stool (for me anyway.)

The more I looked at it all, the more I decided I should continue to add curves as I build, so the control panel got a parabola too.

After the control panel had revealed itself, I got after the curves I wanted on the cabinet profile.  They will all be hand drawn parabolic curves throughout the machine.

I built a base with good casters and stood the sides up to get the overall structure set.  I used 2x4s to anchor the sides to the base plate, figuring it would be more solid to build off of.

I got so motivated after those bits that I cut the frame to carry the monitor and measured about 20 times to set them so the monitor could drop in- and easily be removed if necessary.

If there is any interest I will update this as I go!

Aloha,
Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: New cabinet build named... 'ehukai !
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 11:25:11 am »
Interesting lines.  I assume that it’s a sit down?  I can get behind anyone who builds with a CRT!  Is that 27”?  Following

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:52:11 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 12:14:15 pm »
Your pics are stretched due to an error in the forum software, try loading them into a graphics program/image viewer, saving them and then posting them here.

IMHO the cab looks a bit too bulky. You have got a steep curve on the outside and a somewhat flat curve from the CP to the top. I think the overall look would be better if the inside curve matched the outside curve a bit more. Also, the marquee seems a bit too deep, I can see no reason for that unless you want to make a marquee that curves inwards. If this was my cab, I would change the curves a bit and chop the top to make it look a bit sleeker.

Something like this:

Regardless of this, do you plan on doing a curved front? That would be slick.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 02:28:39 pm »
Greatly appreciate the photo tip!  And for fixing the stretching in your reply.

I hear what you are saying about bulk.

Using a CRT in this form factor actually necessitates that cabinet depth- and the curves add more to the volume.  Maintaining a footprint stable enough for the monitor weight also contributes.

The monitor (with requisite bezel and cover plexi) just barely fits- and that will be with a 3/16" fiberglass reinforced back skin for the rear side of the cabinet.
Since I knew I wanted to use a 27" CRT I also needed to make sure that the players could be as far away from the screen as possible- and still feel like they are sitting at the console.  It is a very comfortable viewing angle and distance as a result of the layout.

The initial concept for this idea (I actually use graph paper- I know- archaic) took those things into account and this was what I got that had curves I liked.

I think the angle of that picture and all the curves make it look very different than it is in person also.
The marquee(ish) zone there is actually only 4-3/4" tall presently.

I do really like your idea of pushing back that marquee zone though.
Initial plan was for the speakers to be up there facing down but if I can implement what you are showing here and not mess with the screen/bezel/speakers continuum I will do it for sure.

Thank you yamatetsu for the suggestions and for taking time to reply.

I have some more monitor support to sort out before I pull the screen out and begin on resin work.  Hopefully I can get started on that tonight.

Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 03:47:44 pm »
I do really like your idea of pushing back that marquee zone though.
Initial plan was for the speakers to be up there facing down but if I can implement what you are showing here and not mess with the screen/bezel/speakers continuum I will do it for sure.

You can mount the speakers under the CP, facing the player. I did that in my Pinup cab, works great and, since my CP is just fastened to some battens without a box, the bass from the car speakers even lets the CP vibrate (force feedback! yay!).

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 03:25:19 am »
Agree entirely about the sound feedback.  Definitely adds to the fun!  Jury is still out on the sound system she will get but I think a 2.1 channel using a cheap AC amp seems to work fine.

And since I did actually have some time to work on 'ehukai a bit I thought I would update.  We'll see if I have finally figured out how to properly link to pictures here.

I know from the commercial cabinets I have looked at that there really isn't much holding old CRTs in place- but I'm still nervous about the weight of those things and like to overbuild anyway.
Added some 2x4 bracing that is sitting on the base frame- so it is solid enough now to make even me happy.
Not exactly conveniently located but easy and functional.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386118;image

Conveniently I have a real deal bezel from the Global VR machine I got (for free!) which the termites had their way with- rendering it completely hopeless sadly- not to mention it had no computer in it anyway...
But hidden among that termite poo it had a functional monitor and bezel at least!
Using that bezel to mock up how this will all fit together has been massively helpful in parsing it down to the bare minimum to make it all work the way I want and get the dimensions and spacing correct ahead of time.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386119;image

Not only that, I will be able to use it as a mold to make the bezel that will go in this cabinet too.  That should actually be pretty fun to try out.

I think this picture kinda shows how tight all of this really is.
I will be bending a 1/4" sheet of ply and glassing it to hold shape and it will only leave 1/2" to spare over the monitor frame if I get it to properly follow the cabinet profile.
Other than that, I wanted to see if I can get background lighting inside the marquee area for something that has the feel of moving water but there really isn't much volume in there to play with still.
Hopefully I can pull off that design idea.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386120;image

Having that donor bezel also made it easy to sort out the framing that will carry the bezel I'll be laying up that will actually go in here.
I'm trying to make sure that I could get the monitor out without having to destroy the cabinet (if need arises) so a bit of forethought is going a long way at this point.
Plan, plan, plan...
I was also thinking that if I use the right buttons with proper spacing, then having coin, start and admin buttons up the sides of the bezel frame could be cool too.
Have to think about how it will actually look and how to implement that.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386121;image

Thanks for looking and appreciate any feedback!
Bobby

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 03:37:56 am »
Very nice Bobby! Very laid-back retro-post-modern design. Following!

Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 03:39:34 am »
Interesting lines.  I assume that it’s a sit down?  I can get behind anyone who builds with a CRT!  Is that 27”?  Following

I had wanted to make a sit down two player as it was and then I saw shaolindrunkard's - and I couldn't help myself any longer.
And yes!  27" (in reality) CRT it is.
I've been accused of hoarding them by everyone who sees the stash so I figured I need to start using them up.  :lol

That is a Kortek 2914 that came out of an otherwise dead Global VR machine with the 8000 lb helmet apparatus (which hopefully I can get functional and put in/on another cabinet eventually.)
Sadly, there were no other guts in the thing.  :cry:
It looked like it had spent a month at the beach but it turned out to be termite processed wood.

Eeeeeewwww.....

And thanks for following!  :cheers:
Hopefully it turns out like I want it to and I can make it fun along the way too.

Aloha,
Bobby

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 03:41:56 am »
Very nice Bobby! Very laid-back retro-post-modern design. Following!

Thank you sir!

And my GreenAntz board arrived- mahalo nui loa!  :notworthy:

REALLY looking forward to trying that out on a few of the screens I have around this coming week.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 05:57:47 am »
And my GreenAntz board arrived- mahalo nui loa!  :notworthy:

REALLY looking forward to trying that out on a few of the screens I have around this coming week.

Cheers Bobby I'm keen to get some feedback on different installs/hardware too.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 09:29:03 am »
Great start - I'm really looking forward to see how you incorporate resin into this project.  The 27" CRT is sweet too. Games are really going to pop and even the 3:4 classics will look huge on it.  If you knew an artist (or ae one yourself) it would be super cool for someone to paint a wave on the side somehow for side art.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 01:43:52 pm »
Great start - I'm really looking forward to see how you incorporate resin into this project.  The 27" CRT is sweet too. Games are really going to pop and even the 3:4 classics will look huge on it.  If you knew an artist (or ae one yourself) it would be super cool for someone to paint a wave on the side somehow for side art.

Thanks for the encouragement!

It may get pigmented resin for color but my good friends Gavin and Jeannie have painted practically all of the coolest surfboards made out here since the late 70's so I really would like one of them/both of them to help me out with it.

I have an idea for some thin panels to add to the sides to add a bit of texture too (so that it looks more like a sculpture than a cabinet) but I'm still working through the ideas.

This is going to be a fun one to experiment with that way.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 06:25:40 pm »
I like the design idea and the way it looks like a wave already - going to be so cool for where you live.

Can I suggest that you slightly round-off the point bits/corners? Only doesn't need much, something like 1 inch diameter curve rounding (you draw a circle into the pointy corner/angles and take off what pokes out). I think that would make it look more friendly and "groovy". It will also make it a lot easier to fit T-molding as you can then just wrap a single piece around the whole side of the cabinet .

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 03:57:31 am »
I like the design idea and the way it looks like a wave already - going to be so cool for where you live.

Can I suggest that you slightly round-off the point bits/corners? Only doesn't need much, something like 1 inch diameter curve rounding (you draw a circle into the pointy corner/angles and take off what pokes out). I think that would make it look more friendly and "groovy". It will also make it a lot easier to fit T-molding as you can then just wrap a single piece around the whole side of the cabinet .

I've really been on the fence about the corners and tried what you are talking about with bull nosing and quarter turning in initial design phase.
I always failed to find anything that looked good to me and never figured out what it was that just rang wrong to me either.
It seemed like a no brainer because of the rest of the thing, but I can't get it to blend well.  :dunno

Since I was stuck with a flat on the bottom no matter what, it eventually felt like what I cut had some balance to it- 3 flats, 3 curves.
They aren't proportional of course, but it didn't seem to matter after staring at it a LONG time.

And since the control panel front face will follow the concave established by its planshape (and the marquee will mimic that also) the lines started getting into compound curves that I blend all the time with surfboard foam- but are just too gnarly to execute in plywood.  :hissy:

I played with the idea of blending ALL the panels with arcs (for fun, here is the first inspiration for this build!)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386157;image

-but it winds up with so many compound curves that it would have to built with a chicken wire cage and foam blowing some polyurethane into that (which may be in a future build?!)

Now that I have the bezel sorted out however, I am going to take a shot at mocking up a deeper sweep to the monitor curve that yamatetsu suggested earlier.

Maybe I can get your suggestion to blend in at that point also Zebidee but I don't think I can pull it off in this build and finish it anytime in 2021  :lol

I still need to play with it some more I suppose.

When it comes to t-molding at least, I decided before I even began that it wouldn't get any- and then I quarter rounded the entire thing already so I couldn't chicken out  ;)

I will be mixing some Q-cell and polyester resin to fill the plywood edge voids (here is where using MDF for something like this would have actually been a reasonable choice) and then I haven't decided if the whole thing will get a 4 oz layer of fiberglass cloth too or just a double hot coat of white pigmented resin before some artwork happens.

Hopefully I get some free time this week!

Thank you all for chiming in.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 04:17:35 am »
Check out her gentle curves.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 05:02:58 am »
Aaahhh....
Gotta love a lady with curves.

And then I had another look just now when I went to turn off the generator for the night and had to say to myself-

"NO, you dope, THIS is what Zebidee was probably talking about-"

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386158;image

That'll teach me to post when I should be sleeping!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 05:32:31 am »
Aaahhh....
Gotta love a lady with curves.

Hmmmm noiiiice, probably wouldn't be too upset if you bumped into those curvy bits!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 01:47:11 pm »
it would have to built with a chicken wire cage and foam blowing some polyurethane into that (which may be in a future build?!)
Reading this reminded me of Le Chuck's Game of Thrones Pedestal build.   ;D

Scott

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 02:32:50 pm »
it would have to built with a chicken wire cage and foam blowing some polyurethane into that (which may be in a future build?!)

Wait - is this a render or did he build this?  If it's real got a link to the build thread?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 03:40:19 pm »

Wait - is this a render or did he build this?  If it's real got a link to the build thread?
It's an actual build with a 3-page thread with lots of pics and some spoiler tag fun.   :duckhunt

Like any quoted post, you can click on the "Quote from:" title to go to the quoted post . . .

. . . or here's a link to the thread.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,139064.msg1437898.html#msg1437898

Scott

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 05:38:51 pm »
How about doing the front curves in thin wood? You could split them in two parts, do a second CP board, put some vertical battens between them and glue/screw a thin board of wood onto them that follows the CP curve. The lower curve could maybe be done like danny_galaga did in his Jetsons cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,144934.msg1506840.html#msg1506840.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 07:06:57 pm »
How about doing the front curves in thin wood? You could split them in two parts, do a second CP board, put some vertical battens between them and glue/screw a thin board of wood onto them that follows the CP curve. The lower curve could maybe be done like danny_galaga did in his Jetsons cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,144934.msg1506840.html#msg1506840.

That is exactly the plan in fact!
I have used 1/4" masonite and the like for all sorts of bends in other things so I thought it would be cool here too.  Once you have the curve bent into the wood (or foam, or whatever) properly, a little fiberglass lamination makes it a permanent thing.

I traced the bottom sheet of the control panel from the upper one so they should blend nicely.
But I do want to make sure I can easily remove and replace the CP top for component replacement, repairs, or in case I change my mind in the future and want to redesign.
So it is effectively an integrated box with a removable lid.

The marquee area will be a bit more tricky to implement and blend that concave (compound curve issue again) but I have a plan.
Should be able to route a slot to bend a piece of plexi into and then use some filler to blend the upper frame piece into the cabinet back curve, which will be orthogonal to that concave.
Boxing that with so little room above the monitor is going to be tricky though.

Getting a curve into the bottom front wasn't something I thought about until you mentioned it, but once I have the base of the control panel glassed up and in place I will see if I can add a concave under the CP too (again, orthogonal to the adjacent curve!) as long as it doesn't cramp knees or toes.

Thanks for the link to danny_galaga's build.
I need to look that up!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 07:09:13 pm »

Scott

And this thing is unbelievable!
And highly motivational.
First I have seen of it also.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 08:35:30 pm »

Scott

And this thing is unbelievable!
And highly motivational.
First I have seen of it also.

ygtbfkm

I think I know why the pedestal is crying

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 03:03:49 am »
Unconventional is certainly the theme of this thread!
 >:D

I had some time to sort out the control panel bottom- and that is when I discovered that the whole cabinet is slightly racked- rrrrrrrrrrrr.

ComPLETEly forgot that the floor in part of the workshop is so not level that it should not be worked on or near  :banghead:

Mercifully, it is just 1/8" trim for a few parallelogram panels that will fit properly but it also really required making yet another control panel top- round 3.

Yeesh.  Easily hidden with some cloth and resin work shortly at least.

Maybe this picture will help illustrate where I have been heading with all of this finally.

Now if I can get the marquee sorted then i can finally pull the screen and start making a mess with some resin!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 05:38:18 am »
Made a little more progress.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386276;image

Hopefully this is the only one I forgot and shot portrait.
Got tired of waiting for a better plan and just took a saw to a Dremel chainsaw sharpener attachment to make something to make this arcing rabbet cut.
It actually worked.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386277;image

Front panel for the control panel box actually bent to shape reasonably well (after a LOT of shaving with a Sureform anyway.)

Took a lot of back and forth (and three pieces of wood to get it right!) but my plan of using 1/4" ply for these bends seems to be working out.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386279;image

Of course to get the bends to hold shape and not get cracked or deform will require... fiberglass reinforcement!
I couldn't find my stash of fin rope so had to improvise by pulling a handful of warp strands out of a scrap piece of cloth to pile up to make a proper fillet blob.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386280;image

Not my best work of course, but it's tight in there with all the wood in those corners and this is hidden obviously so doesn't need to be really that pretty- just strong.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 05:58:27 am »
Lot of motion tonight finally.

While I was waiting for the resin to kick on the control panel front i figured it was time to swiss cheese the control deck.  When most of your favorites are such a ridiculous assortment of games as mine (the Pac-Mans, Centipede, Stargate/Defender, Tempest, Missile Command, etc....) controls just get stupid- but I can't help myself.
I worked at this layout a LOT before using it and it panned out great for my cocktail.  It's pretty busy with controls (especially with the dual joysticks for P1 and P2 here) but it is still comfortable to play from.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386281;image

Countersinking the holes for proper Missile Command buttons requires some fancy forstner bit work though.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386282;image

After all the drilling (when I finally figured out the trackball and joysticks will play nicely together underneath!) it was time to lay out some fabric.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=159740.0;attach=386283;image

I love how once you get going on glasswork that things really start moving quickly.
With the humidity rising and temp dropping tonight it made guessing catalyst mix kinda tricky though.
Rather be lucky than good.

Threw the panel back in just to look at it while it kicks overnight  ;D

It will need another hot coat but the last layer gets wax mixed in so it will really harden up and can get sanded to a nice glassy finish eventually.
Yeehaw!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 03:38:23 pm »
Nice work Bobby

You can get those pics you posted to show up by putting image tags around the links or select link and use the shortcut button above. I also like to specify width as well so the images are consistent size and don't blow out too much. Just click the quote button to quote me and you'll see what I mean

Countersinking the holes for proper Missile Command buttons requires some fancy forstner bit work though.

After all the drilling (when I finally figured out the trackball and joysticks will play nicely together underneath!) it was time to lay out some fabric.

Still fits!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 05:13:02 pm »
Nice work Bobby

You can get those pics you posted to show up by putting image tags around the links or select link and use the shortcut button above. I also like to specify width as well so the images are consistent size and don't blow out too much. Just click the quote button to quote me and you'll see what I mean

Still fits!

Appreciate the tip sir!
Been trying to figure out how that works for over a year now probably

Maybe I will be able to do it NOW?!
 :laugh2:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 05:14:21 pm »
Well...
I suppose I AM trainable-

No matter what my girlfriend says

;D

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 06:11:34 pm »
Well...
I suppose I AM trainable-

No matter what my girlfriend says

;D

:laugh2: :duckhunt

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2021, 02:51:33 pm »
Finally had a little more time to devote to 'ehukai here so thought an update was appropriate.

Taking pics when working with resin is kinda tough.  On a good day if you mix it right you get 7 minutes of working time with a batch of polyester resin- and the humidity has been so nuts lately that it is closer to 5- so in progress action without your own personal photo geek pretty much ain't gonna happen.

Suffice to say that I was kinda lazy with taping things off and wound up with lots of fun drips to grind off later.

Overall thus far I am stoked with how it is coming out.
It is going to need another round of pasting the edges just to white out the plywood lams.
PITA

Trying to make it so that it retains a marquee kinda thing, has room for speakers and a little bling in there, and still is possible to remove the monitor if need be (without having to cut the cabinet apart) while keeping it as short as possible has been tricky.

Had an epiphany about it finally after being away from it for a week plus!
Bezel and cover plexi will be removable through the top, allowing for monitor to be squeeked out the front (with control panel removed also.)

Finally starting to look like it will actually work!

Next is pasting the rails and any other thin spots with pigmented resin again and making my fiberglass bezel.

Aloha!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 03:42:32 pm »
Taking pics when working with resin is kinda tough.

Especially when you have a distracting view like that!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2021, 11:27:39 pm »
Taking pics when working with resin is kinda tough.

Especially when you have a distracting view like that!

I would agree that it is completely ridiculous.
You can see to Waimea Bay from the front deck of the house (nirvana for a surfer idiot like me.)

I literally stalked this property before it was even for sale- cost me everything I already had and will continue to cost (nearly!) every penny I make until I am pushing up bananas-
And then the kids will have to pay it off!
 :lol

I succeed in making enough mad money with side jobs for arcade machine fun thankfully.

Everything else goes into the ground!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 07:03:18 am »
I'd be jealous, except that our place also has waterfront views (big-ass river). I can see it from the pool, dinner table, even my desk. We even have a beach and islands! Surf not like Hawaii's though.

Love swimming, miss body surfing. Maybe we can swap houses for a month if you feel like a tree-change? Not sure you'll like me playing with all your arcade stuff though  :laugh2:

You cab is starting to look very nice, BTW. Honestly, I wasn't sure when I first saw it, but it has grown on me and I feel it really suits the Hawaii / surf culture environment. It reminds me of a wave about to crest. The fact the you use surfboard fibreglass to make it is even better.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 12:16:00 pm »
Your place sounds great fun too.

You would be welcome to come stay in the guest house (when I can get it built out that is) but a house swap may be more than you want!

This place comes with responsibility for 6 goats, 5 chickens, a budding aquaponic system (hopefully operational next month?!) 6 meowing mouse killers and an ocean of grass, some of which can grow 2" a day in the right conditions.

Maybe you should wait until I can get all these machines built!

Your collection puts mine to shame.

And thanks for the compliment on the new one.   :cheers:

I look forward to terrorizing my 11 year old at some Smash TV and Total Carnage
 :laugh2:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2021, 02:09:09 am »
A few more developments...

A second epiphany on bezel and cover plexiglass.

Done properly, I can make disassembly happen with only removal of the control panel.  There is enough room to lift the bezel and cover up and lift out.  It will be pinned in by the bottom panel of the marquee and the control panel otherwise.

As we say here, way mo bettah.

Had to figure out how to route out the slot for the marquee panel (whatever that will wind up) to fit into since there will be no frame and it needs to be removable.  Glad I bought this Milwaukee router last month since it had the perfect attachment in the box already.

I blew it by glueing/glassing the top marquee box panel in already so had to get fancy with making a channel.

Top channel is deeper than the bottom one so that with a suction cup, you will be able to lift the plexi up and slide it out- with a little effort.
Gravity and friction will hold it into that bottom slot.

If this were a commercial cab you obviously couldn't get away with this.

Next is taking a shot at using the commercial bezel I have from the empty/termite eaten VR cabinet to make a bezel for this machine.
I may not get away with this technique.

I'm trying to use saran wrap to keep this resin from sticking to the original (don't want to ruin it just yet) but this route may require some real mold release to pull it off
Pardon the pun!
Or not
 >:D

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2021, 09:29:50 pm »
Been on the slightly injured list so had a little more time to think through some progress.

Got my act together with starting the back panel, which will be something since it is a continuous curve.
I came up with the idea to brace by sinking some dowels in the right places since they are solid enough to anchor to but won't induce flat spots.

Upper part of the back panel is actually built into the cabinet.  I will be warping another piece to cover the remaining area which will be removable of course.

Also got some time to get the shape of the marquee insert worked out.
Amazing how easy it is to work 1/4" ply edges with a sureform.

Now I just have to figure out what in the %#!*!? the artwork/graphics/whatever that marquee will wind up with is actually going to be.
I had an idea that it would have a background of flowing color but I am at a loss how to pull it off well.
Not much room up there since I shrunk that cab a bit from initial design.

mourix

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:56:52 pm
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 05:19:20 pm »
I actually really love the design of this one, and you definitely got good workmanship :applaud:

Just hoping to get surprised on the control panel layout, as it looks hella uncomfortable..