Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovymame not loading anymore... generic_15 monitor, windows 10, ATI Radeon r5  (Read 4516 times)

SORHP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 09:49:39 pm
several days ago, my arcadevga died.

so I started with a newer pc (i3, 6gb ram) and added an ati radeon r5 230.
I got hyperspin, groovymame  working and ready, all was fine until I installed crtemudriver, now groovymame flashes a cmd prompt and doesnt load the gui, loading a game thru rocketlauncher does the same.

I did create the GM mame.ini

I made sure to deselect "extend display' or whatevr on vmmaker, EDID was turned on...    not sure what to do from here, can someone please help me get GM running?
I have been following these 2 guides:
https://web.archive.org/web/20201023102746/http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433

thank you
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:31:57 pm by SORHP »
Games: Super Punch Out, Fix It Felix Jr, DK, DKjr, DK3, PC10, UMK3, TRON, MS-Pac, Pac, Centipede (2x), Robotron, Galaga, Space Invaders, Street Fighter 2 CE, X-Men vs SF, BuckHunter HD, 2X Custom Vewlix, Custom Nintendo VS 3/4, Atomiswave

SORHP

• Offline Offline
Sorry guys, I dont know how to generate a log for mame, my mame is .227, GM is .227... I uninstalled the crtemudriver, mame works....  reinstalled emudriver beta15 12.6  mame doesnt work.

Games: Super Punch Out, Fix It Felix Jr, DK, DKjr, DK3, PC10, UMK3, TRON, MS-Pac, Pac, Centipede (2x), Robotron, Galaga, Space Invaders, Street Fighter 2 CE, X-Men vs SF, BuckHunter HD, 2X Custom Vewlix, Custom Nintendo VS 3/4, Atomiswave

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:31:45 pm
Instructions for creating a log are contained in footer to Calamity's posts:

Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

Make sure you follow the guides when installing (if the Geedorah site is up?).

Don't you need to run CRT_emudriver once first to get "test signing" active, and then reboot and install a second time? Then you have to run VMMaker and get it to 1) generate some modes and 2) install them.

Follow the guides. If the geedorah site and guides are not available right now they should still be there in the google cache and/or wayback machine somewhere.
Check out my completed projects!

SORHP

• Offline Offline
thank you very much,I had overlooked the log protocol on accident, I'll get on it

SORHP

• Offline Offline
the amdcleanuputility was used to remove old drivers, pc restarted, crt_emudriver 15_12.6 was installed, restarted pc, ran the installer again, but it says the driver already installed on the button next to the video card name.  ran mame, and the it flashed a cmd window briefly and closed itself.

attached is the Log of running a rom thru groovymame (mame64.exe)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:33:55 pm by SORHP »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
Did you run VMMaker.exe to set some options, generate and install some modes?

It'll be in the download package, folder something like "crt_tools_2.0_beta_15"

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
It looks like you downloaded the wrong Emudriver version for your card. Use 16.2.1 instead of 12.6.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

SORHP

• Offline Offline
Yes, each time I ran the full install of modes from vm maker

Late last night I discovered that my r5 230 needed the non-gms 16.2.1 driver.  So I ran the amdcleanup utility again , and installed the correct driver, still doesn’t allow mame to work

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Please post the log with the correct driver.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

SORHP

• Offline Offline
here is a new log

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
There's an error regarding ADL library initialization.

You're using the new version based on SR 2.0. Just to discard a problem with this, could you try the "legacy" GM, here?

Steps to create a log:

SORHP

• Offline Offline
ok, mame Loads! 
I connected my 25" k7000 monitor and I can get a stable picture, its at 768x480 60i (i tried 640x480 and it goes out of sync)
when loading mame, the resolution it switches to is out of range and is no good, at the top of the mame screen when I tab out to Arcade OSD says "MAME-No Driver Loaded"

I got mame into window mode and loaded 88games, the swithcres wanted 320x240, I closed mame and got back to a stable 768x480

So I used Arcade OSD to load 320x240 and the monitor goes out of sync, I guess my monitor cant handle all of the modes that switchres wants to use....

I loaded the crt tools again and went thru the process of loading the modes into the driver again, I now have 640x480 stable???  so I loaded mame and it was fine, I backed out of mame and loaded hyperspin, HS looks good, I went to load a game and the resolution went out of sync again, through a series of events Im back at windows with an out of sync picture I cant see the desktop, how do I load a resolution with out being able to see anything?

edit, I clicked on the windows screen and typed "arc" and enter, then I pressed "1" then loaded another mode from arcade osd, so Im back at square 1 now and can see windows, I load 640x480and it goes out of sync

edit: after loading multiple modes, it appears anything 57p, 57i, 54p is no good

30i, 59i, 58.7, 60i are ok

looks like anything between 58 and 61 is ok, Im going to try to figure out how to only generate those modes,

Edit:
How do I remove modes that are out of sync with my monitor, I have been searching, I cant seem to find the answer
also, 640x480 60i just wont stay stable, sometimes its ok, sometimes its unstable, nothing consistent

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 03:11:15 pm by SORHP »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
What monitor are you using this time?

A lot of SDTVs (and some monitors) can do modes close to either PAL or NTSC but don't like anything too far away from 50Hz or 60Hz, typically in the 53-57hz range though this varies. If you have a single crt_range in your monitor.ini preset that covers everything between 50 and 60 Hz, VMMaker can automatically generate these middle-muddle-50s modes, and switchres can choose them thinking that your monitor can handle it.

One way around the issue to to just stick with one, either 50 or 60hz, but then you lose a lot of potential.

Another way to get around the issue is using 2 crtrange presets in the monitor.ini - one crtrange for NTSC or 60Hz-ish modes, another crtrange for PAL or 50Hz-ish modes.

For example, here is a preset I setup earlier for my Chinese component-modded TV (though in this case I don't actually need to block out the mid-50s modes):

monitor "ChinaTV1", "China TV - 50/60 Hz", "4:3"
        crt_range0 15625.00-15734.26, 49.50-55.00, 1.500, 4.700, 5.800, 0.191, 0.191, 1.056, 0, 0, 192, 288, 448, 576
        crt_range1 15625.00-15734.26, 55.01-62.00, 1.500, 4.700, 4.700, 0.191, 0.191, 1.056, 0, 0, 192, 240, 448, 480

The numbers in italics are the vertical frequency ranges (you can tweak to suit your display), and the numbers in bold are maximum vertical lines. Grooymame will now choose from crt_range1 for modes up to 240 lines, and from crt_range0 for modes with up to 288 lines.

SORHP

• Offline Offline
Im using a WG k7000 25" arcade 15hz monitor.

it just will not let the frequency drop below 57.0 before it starts to go out of sync, I know this limits what I can do, but at this point I just need to get it working consistently, Ive been working on this project for 4 hours a day for 2 weeks (yes I had to start from scratch with hyperspin, but this crtemudriver is eating my lunch)

edit:
I need a little nudge in the right direction please

I created a custom video mode with 57.50-65.00 line copying the rest from arcade_15, but this didnt generate anything, literally only one mode with all zeros in vmmaker

how exactly do I omit all modes with frequencies outside of 57.5-62.00 so I can install them and switchres can pull from only what works?
I also need to omit a few 60hz modes, like 640x480 60i; it just doesnt work for some reason (even when edited to a different frequency).
i tried what was discussed here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=149636.0
but when deleting all modes, I can no longer operate, the resolution is too small to see the rest of vmm tochange settings or upload new files.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:57:48 am by SORHP »

SORHP

• Offline Offline
after vmm creates modelines, can I modify the ones out of modeline.txt that I cant use before I install them thru vmm?

Im out of EDID emulation btw

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
SORHP,

Before you try anything else, adjust the v-freq (or v-hold) potentiometer in your monitor's chassis. I'm pretty sure the k7000 can handle those refresh rates perfectly.

You should be able to find an adjustment that covers 50-61 Hz without having to touch it anymore.
Steps to create a log:

SORHP

• Offline Offline
when I adjust the v hold when in low resolutions, I get vertical foldover, then I have to adjust vertical size and get black bars on the top and bottom, I can live with this for now to get mame running properly. I may need to do some work on the monitor... I capped it years ago, I can rebuild it again later.

when I load mame, it seems to go to 31hz instead of 15 hz, so a mode is being thrown at it that causes it to go way out of sync.

attached is my mame.ini, and a mame log loading mario

EDIT: somehow, things started working, I dont know how, switchres seems to be doing its job, mame is loading, games are loading, mame does crash on a few games when I hit tab in the game to get the mame screen up, Ill investigate further.

now... i press the load button in hyperspin and I get 2 seconds of wait time, a flash of a command prompt with info on it, then another 2 seconds of wait time, then the game loads, any ideas here?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:26:55 pm by SORHP »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
SORHP,

Is there any reason that you're using a fixed resolution in mame.ini?

I've noticed that you've created all the resolutions by parsing MAME's xml and at the same time you're using super resolutions. This doesn't make sense, you either do one or the other thing. Super resolutions is the recommended method since the system will be lighter on game loading, etc.

I suspect your installation of CRT Emudriver isn't fully correct (I've no idea why), because the first GM that you tried, based on SR 2.0, didn't work, with an error message on loading. I've tested the same version of the driver (16.2.1), GM SR 2.0, and an HD 6450 on my cabinet and it's working fine, so that's odd.

Your last log looks correct anyway.
Steps to create a log:

SORHP

• Offline Offline
Thank you calamity, I guess I don’t understand, because I just unchecked the pull mame xml and only went for super resolutions, then when I emulate EDID, screen goes black and I get nothing,

edit; I had everything working, I went and started messing with things and messed everything up, now mame loads to resolutions that arent supported, looks like Im working on an all day project again  :banghead:  why does this have to be so hard on my end???
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:14:19 pm by SORHP »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
Thank you calamity, I guess I don’t understand, because I just unchecked the pull mame xml and only went for super resolutions, then when I emulate EDID, screen goes black and I get nothing,

I think you must regenerate and reinstall modes once you click the emulate EDID box

SORHP

• Offline Offline
yes, did that, I regenerate each time I start EDID.

I think Im generating them incorrectly, could you please post a solid tutorial on the exact options to select for arcade_15 or generic_15 , and what mame.ini should say exactly, switchres isnt working again either.

all of my modes in arcadeOSD are stable, but mame keeps switching to 31hz I think, because it keeps going out of spec when a game loads, unless I set a resolution in mame.ini.
this is really hurting my pride, Im the netwrok admin and Itech at my company for over 15 years, but I cant seem to get CRTemuDriver correct LOL!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:38:02 pm by SORHP »

SORHP

• Offline Offline
yup, when I set

Resolution    auto

in mame.ini, and I load mame, it goes out of spec.

when I set the resolution in mame.ini to any of the modes I have in arcadeOSD, it loads stable and sets the resolutions to the games to that resolution

EDIT:
switchres sent 384x240_60

when I go to arcadeOSD and I set that mode, it goes out of sync, bad

I loaded mk
same with 400x256, out of sync, bad

how do I remove those modes?

EDIT:

I reinstalled modes;  then tested the above modes in arcadeOSD, they look great.  I load up the games that use those modes, and they go way out of sync again, not just scrolling, but out of sync bad. 

EDIT:

just to be sure, I loaded several different scenarios and I get the same results as above, once I let switchres take over, the monitor goes out of sync, what am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:45:48 pm by SORHP »

SORHP

• Offline Offline
I’m starting to wander if it’s the jpac, I have 2 of them, I’m going to try the other...

Is there an alternative to the jpac, that will protect the 15hz signal ?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
I don't think JPAC is your problem

SORHP

• Offline Offline
Do you think I should try a different video card?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
I'm not sure what the problem is - I had a look at your log file and nothing jumps out at me, I'm hoping Calamity or someone will jump in and see something I can't.

Regardless, I don't think that the JPAC is the problem. It either works or it doesn't and it obviously does work because otherwise you wouldn't get any of those modes working for desktop, ArcadeOSD etc.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
SORHP,

Based on your description, I can think of 2 possible reasons:

- JPAC failing to sync. In order to discard this, launch any game with GM, and when it's out of sync, unplug the JPAC's usb and plug it again. If it syncs after this, then it's a common issue with JPACs and I'll tell you what you can do.

- GM/Switchres making modeline entries corrupt after updating them. This would be a very rare issue, I've seen it when playing with c-sync I think, it required reinstalling modes. The first thing I'd try is launching GM with the -nomodeline_generation switch (modeline_generation 0 in mame.ini). This forces GM to just pick the existing modelines in read-only mode. If this works, then it's definitely a problem in the modeline updating process.

I don't know the reason why the modes would get corrupt. I'd try using a shorter mode list, since you're definitely in the driver's limit (which should work fine anyway though). So just try using super resolutions and see if then modes get correctly updated. You do this by checking "Get video modes from user list" in "User modes" tab, picking "user_modes - super.ini", and unchecking "Get video modes from MAME XML" in "MAME" tab. This will produce a short mode list with just a few entries. We do have a short guide for setting super resolutions but unfortunately our site is temporarily down.

EDID emulation only needs to be enabled once by the way, after that you simply create and install modes each time you need.

I'm still worried about your first issue with GM/SR 2.0 failing to start. That would point to a driver's installation issue. I prefer to think it's that rather than a compatibility issue with the new implementation, to be honest. This is certainly not your priority now, but once you get this up and running, I'd appreciate that you tried GM/SR 2.0 again to diagnose the problem.

By the way, is that Windows 7 or 10?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:39:03 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
- JPAC failing to sync. In order to discard this, launch any game with GM, and when it's out of sync, unplug the JPAC's usb and plug it again. If it syncs after this, then it's a common issue with JPACs and I'll tell you what you can do.

Curious - is this a problem with more modern JPACs? Or a USB issue? Mine are older and I usually use them via PS2 because seems to work more reliably that way.

SORHP

• Offline Offline
Thank you gentlemen,

I’m using windows 10,
I have 2 jpacs, one of them is newer and has the usb plug installed, the other has the ps2 only plugs, both are giving similar results, the older ps2 jpac is giving much worse jpac related problems to the monitor.

I will spend some time today trying out all of the ring you suggested and get report back,
Thank you calamity , thank you Zebidee

Sereosh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:27:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
You probably already did it multiple times but if I were you I'd start all over again, clean. Only focus on groovymame for now. If I read right, you have both groovymame and regular mame on your system? The guy on the video also does this, there's no point in having both, just get the latest groovymame. No need to overwrite files like shown in the video.

Boot into safe mode, get rid of the installed drivers with DDU.
Reinstall crt_emudriver.
In VMM select the Arcade 15.7Khz preset, select the user_modes-super.ini in "user modes", in "MAME" find your groovymame mame64.exe and tick "export monitor settings". In "Video Card" select your display and correct output and press "Enable EDID Emulation".
If you were on an lcd you'll lose sync now and this is when you should switch to your arcade monitor, press OK. Click on Generate modes and Install modes and you should be set. (I like to do a restart after the modes are properly installed but I'm pretty sure it's useless).

Now your desktop should display in 480i as it should, groovymame menu will also be 480i until you start a rom, then the resolution will be switched accordingly.
That's how I've been doing it on multiple systems and monitors and it's been working perfectly so far, but if I omitted something I'm sure someone will point it out. I found it weird how you had so many modes installed in the first place.

SORHP

• Offline Offline
Sereosh, I did as you advised, I only have groovymame installed as well, there are not 2 versions of mame, only the one that Calamity provided at this time

Calamity, I changed modeline_generation to 0
that allowed switchres to change the resolution without making the sync go bad, so this works....  does that mean I need to fix something else? or just leave modeline_generation 0
I imagine something else needs to be fixed to get modeline generation back on

please advise,

Im so glad to finally actually see a stable screen

glewis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 02:57:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I also have a k7191/k7000 and I noticed the odd behavior when I get too far from 60hZ, for me I capped the monitor which made things look better, but oddly the problem persisted through hyperspin which is how i play the games. I then ran mame from the command prompt (not how i use my cab  :D) with or without switchres kicking in and I get a great stable image for Mortal combat finally.  Without switchres 400X254@54.70Hz, 400X256@56.6Hz looked great, with switchres ntsc 400X256 @54===>2560X480i @59.940 looks great with some artifacts. I am happy with this, Now i need to figure out why hyperspin is ignoring the mame.ini in my mame folder and selecting some other mame.ini or equivalent. Any help on how to approach this.

FYI, i am not 100% certain that the cap kit fixed this issue because it exists when i use hyperspin. but i was not able to run these games (54-56HZ without sync issues (WOBBLY IMAGE)) even from DOS.
running win 7