Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie needs help  (Read 5452 times)

craig1122

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2021, 02:36:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newbie needs help
« on: January 20, 2021, 06:09:51 am »
Hi all. I've just started building my games room and the wife has told me we need a pub style touch screen multi game. And I was thinking about using the new pi4. Is it up to the job of running this style game with a touch screen or would I need a pc?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: Newbie needs help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 02:02:31 am »
Pi works fine with a touch screen. The trick is getting software that works with touch input. Not all of it does, but probably anything that would work with a mouse (on linux) would be fine.

Here's a larger touch screen that works with the Pi.

https://thepihut.com/products/hannspree-ht161hnb-15-6-touch-monitor

If you're looking specifically to do a Fruit Machine emulator, you might need to run Windows. I'm not sure if MFME or something like it is available on linux. Since a touch-screen project is a little more niche, and your topic is "Newbie needs help" it may make sense to buy a PC that can run Windows. You'll likely have more options on the windows side of things. You can likely get a used pc for dirt cheap, or build a lower-powered one for not much more than a pi. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:06:56 am by mahuti »
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

craig1122

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2021, 02:36:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 02:00:22 pm »
Hi mahuti
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I had a feeling that would be the case. I've seen you can run windows on a pi I just wasn't sure if they could handled windows and the emulator. I've got a old desktop and gaming laptop stashed away somewhere I just fancied using a pi. Guess I'll have to dig out the desktop. Thanks again for the help

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 05:33:52 pm »
I have fun messing with Raspberry Pi, but its less than equivalent, hardware wise, than the computer i used back in 2003 to run MAME. I did run an old copy of windows on it once, but for modern stuff it's just a lot easier to use a better pc.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.