Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver multiple monitors  (Read 1507 times)

dth930

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2022, 01:24:17 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT Emudriver multiple monitors
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:40:35 pm »
Sorry for the newb question, but I'm trying to plan my cab update and want to make sure I have the correct video card(s).  I don't have the hardware setup yet to put the software through its paces and figure this out.

Using Emudriver, can I simultaneously run a 15khz CRT and an LCD, like for a digital marquee?  Or do I need separate video cards for each of those feeds?

Right now I have a Radeon 6670, which has VGA, DVI and Displayport outputs.
 - Dave

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: CRT Emudriver multiple monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 01:08:28 am »
Hi dth930,

To answer your question: Yes, you can run a 15khz CRT and an LCD simultaneously with CRT Emudriver, using the different outputs of the same video card.

BUT: the digital marquee idea might not work very well... specially if you plan to use an external program to control it (external to MAME itself I mean). I know some people do it however. I mean I wouldn't do it in my cabinet, I want nothing interferring with my video card in full exclusive mode, and definitely don't want my gpu to spend time drawing a pointless banner. Anyway you can try and tell us.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:45:26 pm

dth930

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2022, 01:24:17 am
Re: CRT Emudriver multiple monitors
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 02:52:01 am »
BUT: the digital marquee idea might not work very well... specially if you plan to use an external program to control it (external to MAME itself I mean). I know some people do it however. I mean I wouldn't do it in my cabinet, I want nothing interferring with my video card in full exclusive mode, and definitely don't want my gpu to spend time drawing a pointless banner. Anyway you can try and tell us.

That's a good point I hadn't considered.  I would agree that nothing good will come of complicating what the GPU is trying to do.

Though I'm not sure I'd call the banner pointless.  It looks nice.  8) But certainly it doesn't help improve gameplay at all.

I guess the safe bet would be to get an additional GPU just for the marquee, though that's unnecessarily complicated too.  Or use something like the Pixelcade DIY setup to drive the LCD.  That offloads all of the image processing and just needs to trigger video and images that are already stored.
 - Dave