Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Manx TT  (Read 6772 times)

spunkyjnr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2023, 05:34:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Manx TT
« on: January 17, 2021, 09:26:00 am »
Good afternoon, I've recently come into the possession of a dual Manx TT. All the boards/CPU have been gutted..monitors too but the bikes,base and cabinets are all solid. I've spent the last two days searching for any information regarding linking this to a PC or ps4 so I can play the latest IOM, ride and motogp games and I've ended up here. After trawling through the pages all I can find are unfinished projects. I have some experience with electronics and my day job is a vehicle repairer so I have practical skills that I know I can turn to my advantage. What's confusing me the most from everything I've read is the struggle people are finding making the cabinet/bikes communicate with the PC/console. As a newbie, am I completely wrong in thinking I could disassemble a wired ps4 controller and re purpose the buttons sticks etc throughout the machine Instead of the standard original buttons/potentiometers?

I welcome anyone's help and knowledge as I know I can make a truly badass motogp/superbike machine

Regards Paul

MotoGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 01:14:58 pm
Re: Manx TT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 08:14:37 am »
Paul,

You can't direct connect the pots on the bike to a PS4 controller as the values will not be correct.  You can however adjust the values with an Arduino then back into the PS4 controller.  I'm doing the exact thing with my Namco 500GP Deluxe.

You need the following:

Arduino Uno R3
12-bot DAC

Also,  the PS4 controller is a bit trickier than the xbox 360 as for throttle and brake it uses a pressure button not a pot.  The PS4 also has some resistors, see attached.  Soldering the the board is not easy.

spunkyjnr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 04:27:31 am »
Thanks for the reply... I will get my internet research head on in that direction!

spunkyjnr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 02:59:50 am »
Turned out I was totally over thinking it, bought an old Xbox 360 steering wheel and fitted the loom and pots into the bike. Running ps2 emulator and it works.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:10:16 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 05:55:25 am »
I have a suzuka 8 hours bike interfaced with arduino in my garage

I wrote a full post years ago on another forum that is no longer online. I will post something here when I will get a chance.
I used an arduino leonardo with joystick library (combined with mouse library to dig game menus with bike controls only). You can use the same approach with any other arcade bike out there. I will share the code I previously shared in that dead forum if someone need it.
In case one want to play on ps4 or xbox360, he must hack a joypad. There's no need to place an arduino in between: just change the cabinet pots with other with the correct resistance value for the pad.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:00:59 am by baritonomarchetto »

spunkyjnr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 07:34:16 am »
Now the control interface is worked out, I've turned my attention to the bikes

rmwilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 04:39:29 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 12:09:09 am »
A project that I have wanted to do for many many years! If any one knows of or sees a Namco Gp 500 DELUXE for sale PLEASE let me know... I want to buy one.