Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Manx TT - Twin Cabinet - Question about Calibrating the controls  (Read 2782 times)

fortunasys

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2022, 11:47:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi altogether,

I have an arcade cabinet of the "Manx TT"-Game in Twin-Setup (two linked devices). The Game runs on two PCs with emulation software by nebula.
Everythings seems to run properly except for one thing:
The throttle of one of the two bikes doesn't work as expected. The speed of the bike ingame is way too slow.
When I swap the connections of the bikes it is always the same bike, that doesn't accelrate right.
I first assumed, that the potentiometer attached to the throttle is faulty. But some measurements showed correct values.

I have checked the manual: https://segaretro.org/images/0/00/ManxTT_Model2_Manual_Twin.pdf
It helped me to access the "test mode"... and this is where i got stuck:

Testing the inputs I was surprised by the fact, that "Throttle" and "Brake" are swapped (on both machines). I turned the "throttle"-handle but the value on "brake" changed and vice versa...
Anyway... ingame the bike reacts accordingly to throttle and brake.
Next step according to manual is the calibration of the potentiometers to set their limits. Seems to work as well..

The last step is to exit the test mode. It should then switch back to game mode, but it doesn't.
It just shows a screen on each monitor "Checking communication board / this is master controller" and "checking communication board / checking network! (blinking) / this is slave machine". I can't get them back into game mode and save the calibrated values.
After hard reset (turning the machine off and on again) the values are back to default settings..

Any advice or requests for further informations?  :-\

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:55:36 am by fortunasys »

spunkyjnr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2023, 05:34:00 pm
Re: Manx TT - Twin Cabinet - Question about Calibrating the controls
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 03:37:23 pm »
Unfortunately I cannot weigh in and help with your problem but I would love to know where you got the of set up from that you're using currently as I have an empty Manx double cab

Regards Paul

fortunasys

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2022, 11:47:35 am
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 04:05:47 am »
Thank you for your reply.

It is one of those cheap clones you can buy at made-in-china.com (unfortunately I don't know the exact seller, because I didn't buy it myself). If you search for "manx tt" you will find many variations of the classic sega game. Many on them don't have the force feedback or extra speaker in the exhaust pipe like the original. Cheap.. but it works  ;)

Update to my problem: It's seems that my device wasn't properly assembled. I made a simple change at the throttle-to-potentiometer gear and now both bikes seem to be at the same speed. Still I can't figure out, how to make changes (i.E. the difficulty of the game) in the test mode and succesfully returning to game, because the devices don't seem to reconnect after exit the test mode.
Also I don't know the function of a third button behind the coin acceptor (1 = service/free credit, 2 = test mode, 3 = ?? original: demagnetising of the screens, but this is obsolete due to the newer flatscreens)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:15:07 am by fortunasys »

MotoGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 01:14:58 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 10:40:52 pm »
Unfortunately I cannot weigh in and help with your problem but I would love to know where you got the of set up from that you're using currently as I have an empty Manx double cab

Regards Paul

If your interested in connecting this to a PS4, I have a Namco 500GP deluxe I just connected to a PS4.  My design will work with the bike form the MannX TT.  In a nut shell the bike (3 potentiometers) connect to an Arduino running a special code I wrote the connects to a PS4 controller motherboard.  I'm still testing it but it works like a charm.  I know it would work with your bike too.

Here is a picture of the setup I'm using.  I'm designing control housings for the handlebars in Fusion 360 to 3d print.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:42:25 pm by MotoGP »

MotoGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 01:14:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 10:45:34 pm »
here is the complete setup I'm using for testing.

I'd be willing to share my program with you, would be good to get some feedback.  I've been working on this for about a year and recently decided to take the plunge and disconnect my Namco 500 GP Deluxe
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:47:19 pm by MotoGP »