Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can multiple ultimarc input/LED driver boards be ran from powered usb hub?  (Read 1528 times)

deezdrama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html

I have a usb u-trak trackball, an i-pac4, and two led pac64's, im wondering if I could mount a powered usb 2.0 hub near my control panel to connect all of the above?
 That way I would only have to route one usb cable down to the bottom of my cab where the computer is instead of routing several usb cords? Also would make disconnecting the control panel for moving much easier.

Or would running all of the above through a powered usb hub possibly cause conflicts or issues?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:27:07 am by deezdrama »

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
Re: Connecting all my control panel driver boards to a powered usb hub?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 03:24:26 am »
Has noone ran any combo of pac boards and/or rgb driver boards on a powered usb hub?

Im in process of rewiring cab and at a standstill trying to figure this out. Andy has helped but mis-understood what i was trying to do and still waiting on a reply.

Basically i dont know if all my input/rgb driver boards need a dedicated usb port on the PC or if they will function fine connected to a powered USB hub that way i only have to have one usb cord going down to bottom of the cab where the pc is instead of 7?

1.... I-pac4
2... Utrak usb
3... PacLED64 #1
4... PacLED64#2 (both these powered by 5v 3a power adapter)
5... Mouse
6... Keyboard
7... Xbox wireless controller transciever dongle

I think Andy got confused because I mentioned using a "powered" usb hub.... I think he thought i was trying to power the 2 pacLED64 boards with the usb hub which is not the case. Im powering those with a dedicated 5v 3a power adapter.
I just mentioned it being a powered usb hub because some usb hubs are passive and not powered and can lack the necessary power requirements when alot of usb devices are connected. Powered hubs are just better and more reliable which is why i mention it.

My concern is reading that each of these ultimarc devices needs a seperate ID and Im not sure if running all these devices from a hub which connects to a single usb port on the PC would make unique ID naming of components an issue?
Or if there would be a data bandwidth issue have all these hooked up on a hub to a single port on the PC?

I figured lots of people would have ran 2 or more of these devices on a hub here  :dunno
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:36:09 am by deezdrama »

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
If no one here chimes in I would recommend just emailing Andy directly at Ultimarc.  He's usually very responsive and helpful to questions about his products.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
The boards may swap load order. So you'll have to figure out some way to specify which to load first by board ID or USB port id.... get a utility. Not fun when the order swaps.

Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I have and it is unwise (FPITA).  Better to get a dedicated PSU (walwart) with 3A (true output varies) for each device or use your USB 3 ports in your PC.

I did this in the last cab and everything had issues, to the point I thought it was the encoders.  Now everything USB is through the PC. 

I have 2x 2 TB USB hard drives, four encoders (1 Kade, 2 EG Starts, xgaming) and spinner, usb active extender (all switch boxed), Wireless Xbox dongle, Cronux Max, LCD TopGun, Dolphin Bar, and an AOC USB monitor going through a standard OptiPlex 3040.  It powers it all. Boots up every time no issues. 

Buy good quality USB cables. Your PAC LED might need more amps.  See below.

If you want to save some money you could use an arcade or PC PSU and wire it up directly with some buck converters.

Don't waste your money on expensive USB hubs.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:26:21 pm
Re: Connecting all my control panel driver boards to a powered usb hub?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 11:16:52 pm »
Or if there would be a data bandwidth issue have all these hooked up on a hub to a single port on the PC?

I think data bandwidth is your main concern, rather than power, as you are running separate power for the LEDs and using a powered hub.

Having said that, it is probably fine to run the IPAC4 and Utrak USB on same USB port as you're unlikely to be demanding too much of both at the same time. Likewise you should be able to run the keyboard and mouse from this same port/hub (unlikely to be using both keyboard/mouse at same time as ipac/utrak).

However I'd definitely run the LEDs controllers from another USB port.

Running 2 USB cables back shouldn't be a big deal - just ziptie them together to keep it neat.
Check out my completed projects!

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
ok thanks guys!.... Ill scratch the usb hub idea