Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My experience buying a new Time Crisis pedal from Betson  (Read 7539 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
My experience buying a new Time Crisis pedal from Betson
« on: January 13, 2021, 11:19:14 am »
Just wanted to let folks know that you can buy a brand new Time Crisis pedal from Betson Imperial for about $100. I chose standard UPS shipping. It took about a week to arrive and they charged me $30 to ship it from New Jersey to Wisconsin, but it's really heavy, about 10 pounds, so that seems reasonable. I should also mention that it took a few days before the purchase was approved and they sent the item. They also don't give you the shipping and handling amount upfront. I imagine that you might be able to call them and ask for estimated rates before purchasing.

https://www.betsonparts.com/amusement-redemption/namco-red-pedal-assembly-for-time-crisis-and-crisis-zone.html

No rust, no squeak, and not that much more money than what a lot of people are paying on ebay. I have an old playstation non-analog controller that I hacked the R1 button to use this pedal on my PS1 and PS2 consoles. I tried using it on my PS3 for Time Crisis 4 and unfortunately couldn't get it to work, although the controller functions through a USB converter.

If you do order one, be aware that you need a star bit screwdriver to open it up and the existing wiring is purple to Normally Open (NO), black is ground, and green is grounded to the metal body of the pedal.

I've been thinking about buying one of these for a long time, generally balking at the price, but I caved after seeing this YouTube video:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:17:22 pm by KenToad »

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: My experience buying a new Time Crisis pedal from Betson
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 04:35:32 pm »
Just wanted to let folks know that you can buy a brand new Time Crisis pedal from Betson Imperial for about $100. I chose standard UPS shipping. It took about a week to arrive and they charged me $30 to ship it from New Jersey to Wisconsin, but it's really heavy, about 10 pounds, so that seems reasonable. I should also mention that it took a few days before the purchase was approved and they sent the item. They also don't give you the shipping and handling amount upfront. I imagine that you might be able to call them and ask for estimated rates before purchasing.

https://www.betsonparts.com/amusement-redemption/namco-red-pedal-assembly-for-time-crisis-and-crisis-zone.html

No rust, no squeak, and not that much more money than what a lot of people are paying on ebay. I have an old playstation non-analog controller that I hacked the R1 button to use this pedal on my PS1 and PS2 consoles. I tried using it on my PS3 for Time Crisis 4 and unfortunately couldn't get it to work, although the controller functions through a USB converter.

If you do order one, be aware that you need a star bit screwdriver to open it up and the existing wiring is purple to Normally Open (NO), black is ground, and green is grounded to the metal body of the pedal.

I've been thinking about buying one of these for a long time, generally balking at the price, but I caved after seeing this YouTube video:

Hi KenToad,

I’m just about to place an order for two of these to have ready when my Sinden’s arrive and was happy when I saw you post about it on the YouTube review and then to find this thread :)

1. Is it an exact replica of the real pedal, in terms of measurements and weight, I’m guessing it is since you say 10 pounds.

2. Did the bottom have rubber feat attached so that it is stable on a wood floor without having to be pushed up against something?

3. Can you take a photo of the back so that I can see the connections, it’s not on the website and I wanted to make sure it matches an original

4. Are you still satisfied with it?

Too bad they don’t come in red and blue to match my gun colors.

Thanks l!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 05:28:11 pm »
I think it is identical to the original, as it is a drop-in replacement part from an arcade distributor. The switch is a cherry switch. I wired up a Playstation controller to it so I can use it with my PS1 and PS2. I just left the original connector and wires tucked inside.

I'll attach a photo of the inside from my phone after I post this from my desktop. Remember that you need a T25 star bit to remove the bolts.

The underside has metal raised areas that I've attached felt floor protectors to because I use it on a carpet, but you could just as easily attach rubber feet.

I still love it and use it often. It's built like a tank. I'd feel comfortable having my kids jump up and down on it.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 06:38:41 pm »
That’s great news, placing my order momentarily:)

Can you also confirm the back has the same connections as the original?

Like in the attached image:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 08:37:07 pm »
All of those connections are custom made by the YouTuber Boojakascha. In the video, he shows how he made it. At 8:01 in the video, you can see that the bare metal bottom and back don't have the custom connectors.

If you ask me, all those connections are crazy overkill, but I don't own 15 types of lightguns that work with Time Crisis. The original unit is just a microswitch, super easy to interface with a ps1 pad or nearly any cheap usb gamepad, if you don't want to wire it directly to a keyboard encoder. Naturally, you could wire it all three ways if you want.

*Edit* Also, I would suggest that, if you haven't ordered already, you probably only need one pedal. There aren't really any Time Crisis games that are all that great with two player simultaneous play, unless you have two PS2's and two monitors, or I guess one very large monitor and a PC that can run Time Crisis 2 and 3 with the split screen mode at full speed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:46:29 pm by KenToad »

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 09:17:43 pm »
All of those connections are custom made by the YouTuber Boojakascha. In the video, he shows how he made it. At 8:01 in the video, you can see that the bare metal bottom and back don't have the custom connectors.

If you ask me, all those connections are crazy overkill, but I don't own 15 types of lightguns that work with Time Crisis. The original unit is just a microswitch, super easy to interface with a ps1 pad or nearly any cheap usb gamepad, if you don't want to wire it directly to a keyboard encoder. Naturally, you could wire it all three ways if you want.

*Edit* Also, I would suggest that, if you haven't ordered already, you probably only need one pedal. There aren't really any Time Crisis games that are all that great with two player simultaneous play, unless you have two PS2's and two monitors, or I guess one very large monitor and a PC that can run Time Crisis 2 and 3 with the split screen mode at full speed.

Ok thanks for pointing it out that it was custom, I did watch his video but I must have glazed over that part, thank you.

Ok damn I did put in an order for two but it didn’t process yet and they actually only have stock for 1 and the other will be back ordered, I completely overlooked the whole dual screen thing.

That being said it’s for a pedestal build and therefore I’m planning a large screen, between 55-65” would dual screen be enjoyable at that size?

Lastly, I just found out Time Crisis 5 and 2 spicy are dual pedals per player, damn them! So if you tell me that 55”-65” won’t be enjoyable for two players then at least I’ll have dual pedals for those games, if you tell me it will be enjoyable then damn as I really don’t want to order 4! But I absolutely love gun games, I tried searching for dual pedals and didn’t see them anywhere.

Is there any hack to play TC5 with one pedal in a way that doesn’t ruin it? I’m guessing not, I know people were mapping buttons for left and right and I could see that making more sense than having one pedal, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:34:42 pm by Rockstead »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 09:42:31 pm »
I don't know if there is a way to play 2 player Time Crisis 5 yet. I got it running one player. Have you been able to test two player on your PC?

Time Crisis 2 and 3 would be your best bet to use the two pedals. If you can emulate at full speed with 2 players, it should be very playable with a 55 inch or bigger widescreen display. Time Crisis 4 on the PS3 plays fine with split screen on my 40 inch LCD, but it would certainly be even better with a bigger screen.

I would just test the games that you're thinking about playing using your current setup with 2 mice connected to simulate the lightguns and a shared keyboard interface. If everything runs well, then you're probably good to go. Otherwise, you should be able to cancel one of your pedals, especially since it's back ordered. I'd imagine that you could easily resell one of the pedals, if you decide later that you don't need it.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 03:25:02 pm »
I spoke too soon, so one got shipped and the other was cancelled and they don’t have plans to re-stock.

Who wants a yucky used and rusted eBay one next to this new red beauty.

Any suggestions on where to get another new one?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 04:14:04 pm by Rockstead »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 04:13:02 pm »
No idea where to find another new one. Looks like you bought the last one. I'm glad that I got one when I did.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 02:18:19 pm »
No idea where to find another new one. Looks like you bought the last one. I'm glad that I got one when I did.
And they confirmed that Namco won’t re-supply them with new ones, and the used ones I can find are so gross compared....

Given that I might just powder coat a used one so that it matches the Blue gun.

Is it difficult to restore the diamond plating to new like condition?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 01:57:05 pm »
And they confirmed that Namco won’t re-supply them with new ones, and the used ones I can find are so gross compared....

Given that I might just powder coat a used one so that it matches the Blue gun.

Is it difficult to restore the diamond plating to new like condition?

I have no experience, but it doesn't look easy based upon the videos I have seen.

Also, it looks like you can buy a new Time Crisis 4 pedal from the same distributor, but it's $400. That's pretty insane, considering that it is the exact same hardware with a different coat of paint.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:00:47 pm by KenToad »