Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Will this high Rez monitor support GM?  (Read 2052 times)

SORHP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 09:49:39 pm
Will this high Rez monitor support GM?
« on: January 12, 2021, 09:15:35 pm »
I have a high resolution Macvision wei ya m2929d4g-ts

Can I install groovymame and have it do it痴 thing to get these low resolutions?

Thank you all
Games: Super Punch Out, Fix It Felix Jr, DK, DKjr, DK3, PC10, UMK3, TRON, MS-Pac, Pac, Centipede (2x), Robotron, Galaga, Space Invaders, Street Fighter 2 CE, X-Men vs SF, BuckHunter HD, 2X Custom Vewlix, Custom Nintendo VS 3/4, Atomiswave

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Will this high Rez monitor support GM?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 09:50:09 pm »
the MAKVISION M2929 will do 800x600 res. (SVGA)

not "low resolution" as far as arcade goes.

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 09:59:32 pm »
Yes, I知 able to do 800x600 60hz, and 640x480 60hz

So, I知 wandering if I go through groovymame to get the correct arcade resolutions and hz?

I知 guessing I probably should stick with 800x600??
Games: Super Punch Out, Fix It Felix Jr, DK, DKjr, DK3, PC10, UMK3, TRON, MS-Pac, Pac, Centipede (2x), Robotron, Galaga, Space Invaders, Street Fighter 2 CE, X-Men vs SF, BuckHunter HD, 2X Custom Vewlix, Custom Nintendo VS 3/4, Atomiswave

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:24:50 am
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 10:22:38 pm »
After you install the CRT_emudriver, just use the appropriate monitor presets for your Makvision when generating/installing video modes with VMMaker and Groovymame will work based on what your monitor can do (or at least what you've said it can do in the monitor presets).

You won't need low-res modes because GM will scale up the games to the modes your monitor supports.

Check out my completed projects!

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »
The Macvision M2929 monitor will not sync to 15khz but Groovymame can still help by outputting to custom resolutions that it can sync to and will look better than just scaling everything to 800x600 or 640x480.

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:50:52 am »
Thank you guys!

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 10:25:17 pm »
Since I知 using GM, and I知 at 800x600, do I still need an ati card to utilize switchres?
Or do I swap in an ati card and then generate modes.???  Ack, I知 not understanding

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 01:43:20 pm »
i think people are confused as to the function of the "arcadevga" product and i THINK that's what you are alluding to here.... so let's just get a little informational here and out of the way since this has been a thing a couple times now in the past few months.....

for starters, yes, it's a video card...for playing "MAME" arcade games... on 15khz monitors.

if your monitor is 15khz (like a k7000 or or something like that) you would normally be unable to smash the computer resolution down low enough to be able to  to display anything on this kind of monitor. (typically VGA (31k) is as low as a computer can go)

thus the arcadevga was born. it's a video card with a custom rom firmware installed on it that has these low 15khz CGA resolutions listed in it's capabilities.

if your monitor is capable of vga or SVGA (As is the case here with the 2929 or a 3125.)  you don't need any arcadevga cards cause the monitor will happily take vga/svga that modern computers dish out by default.

in a nutshell, if it runs svga, set it to svga and scale up your games as needed to fill the screen. you mileage may vary, no warranty implied or suggested.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 02:36:32 pm »
For what it's worth I ran this same monitor in my cabinet for years with Groovymame. While 3D polygonal games looked nice on it (stuff that natively ran in the 640x480 range and various console emulators), I was never pleased with the look of classic arcade games. The dot pitch just felt weird.

When mine started to exhibit the signs of impending vertical collapse, I ended up switching back to a 15khz std res monitor instead of repairing it.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:24:50 am
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 06:45:06 pm »
Since I知 using GM, and I知 at 800x600, do I still need an ati card to utilize switchres?
Or do I swap in an ati card and then generate modes.???  Ack, I知 not understanding

You don't actually need an ATI/AMD card, or to install CRT_emudriver, to run Groovymame.

However to get max benefits from the mode generation, especially the "super resolutions", you'll want to have the ATI/AMD GPU and driver installed.

Check out my completed projects!

SORHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 02:00:45 pm »
thank you everybody, Ill jump down that rabbit hole, I just received my ati card for this particular machine, so Ill dive in soon
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 04:42:31 pm by SORHP »