Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AtGames - Legends Pinball  (Read 5882 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
AtGames - Legends Pinball
« on: January 01, 2021, 12:49:41 pm »
Competitor to Arcade 1up - 1080p, larger screen, more tables

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
Re: AtGames - Legends Pinball
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:06:30 pm »
madlittlepixel reivew - 22 games, online play, haptics, glass cover

later

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 06:00:57 am »
At this stage of the game, would it not be easier to get a coffin and a $200 TCL and build the rest yourself?

Are we not BYOAC or what?   :w00t

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 11:09:24 am »
At this stage of the game, would it not be easier to get a coffin and a $200 TCL and build the rest yourself?

So, is the question: is it easier to build a cabinet or buy one and put it together? lol

BYOAC = Buy Your Own Arcade Cabinet? ;P  Some would say we haven't been building arcade controls since we quit hacking keyboards for encoders and mice for spinners. For what it's worth, I enjoy the build, I enjoy playing, but I don't enjoy working harder if I don't have to, which is why I use ipac or Zero Delay encoders.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 01:08:31 pm »

it depends on if you have the tools, enjoy building stuff etc.

this opens up the market for virtual pinball fans, the same way that arcade 1up has sold millions of cabinets already.

it won't sell that many, because less people are into pinball, and the pricepoint is higher.

but there will still be tens of thousands of sales of these.

later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 04:15:37 pm »
Well if you don't have the tools and enjoy building stuff then why are you on this site?  Seriously that's kind of our whole deal here. 

What I will say is pinball parts are expensive, so you have to keep that in mind. 

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 03:53:09 am »
Well I am not saying to go out and buy MDF and make your own (you could) but lets start out simple and buy a few parts a pinball Duo, mod it for the PC [/url], cheap monitors from goodwill, spare PC from the basement.  Done.  $350 and you can do what you want - blank canvas.  I'd go for the extra $120 for graphics.

Which would be better?  Locked in with awful blah SW tables for $550.00 or $350.00 neutral black cabinet with PinMame+VPin.  BYOAC the rest.  Legends Pinball is $700 and you get Gottlieb pinball games....

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:58:29 am by Vocalitus »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 09:24:00 pm »
So far, that hasn’t been the trend. Buying and modding is the way of the 1upper. At least, for most of them.

I really do think it’s not a one to one comparison, configuring tables, front ends and what not is a lot of work and know how required.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 02:27:34 am »
No it's not because those star wars tables suck, where you can get recreations of real tables via vp/fp.  ;)   Sometimes the extra work is worth it. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 09:42:59 pm »
Trash

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 11:35:27 pm »
^^^

This.

What wouldn't need replaced on this machine to make it decent?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 02:00:54 pm »
I would argue that video pinball is a poor substitute no matter what you throw at it. For me, video pinball is a non-starter. Make it as nice or crappy as you want. It isn't in the cards for me.

If the question is, how does this video pinball machine stack up to other video pinball cabinets? If history is any guide, it will be easy to acquire, build, configure and use. It won't have near the bells and whistles, durability and will not offer a lot of configuration options. If the question is if it is a good base for upgrades to get it to a level you would enjoy? No idea - your call. 

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 03:03:16 pm »
I would argue that video pinball is a poor substitute no matter what you throw at it. For me, video pinball is a non-starter. Make it as nice or crappy as you want. It isn't in the cards for me.

If the question is, how does this video pinball machine stack up to other video pinball cabinets? If history is any guide, it will be easy to acquire, build, configure and use. It won't have near the bells and whistles, durability and will not offer a lot of configuration options. If the question is if it is a good base for upgrades to get it to a level you would enjoy? No idea - your call.

One of the reasons would be the ability to move a video pinball around than a traditional one. 

I've decided to order one of the mid size table kits from GRS.  Their customer service is awesome.  Not sure about coffin artwork, so I am going for the standard look.

I hope I won't get any grief asking questions in the Pinball thread.  :lol

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 07:02:09 pm »

i take it you're talking about the arcade 1up ones.

the atgames one, has tons of options, configurations, online play, and bring your own tables,

which most of the prebuilt ones don't even have, and if you built it yourself, you still wouldn't have
all these options.

later

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:35:42 pm
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 11:44:09 am »
Late to the show on this, but enjoyed the posts.

I picked up one of these on sale, grabbed the interface board and the haptics upgrade kit. I gotta say, the footprint is pretty good, I was about to make a full sized pinball table, but the spot I had for it wouldn't take it, and an internet journey landed me at the legends pinball and as luck would have it, they had one sitting in a box in a local store (in a tiny town).

I used to build virtual pinball into my cabinets, and the one big cab I kept still has the flipper buttons, but it wasn't the same as the vertical table. I thought this was a good way to jump back into it. (plus as an added bonus PBJ doesn't like them, in fact, they come up a couple of notches for that, sorry Jim) ;)

The only thing I plan is to upgrade the backglass and install a permanent micro pc. I haven't even tried the PC interface yet (renovating the basement around it), so tons of potential. It's perfect for a ski chalet up in the mountains, as it sits over the wet boots. :)

Overall, it's not a bad option for a starting point, hell add in the price of wood/materials lately and it's maybe even an economically sound base.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 02:39:52 pm by Zakk »
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.