Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: kortek Touch Screen  (Read 3377 times)

Gazzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2023, 04:10:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
kortek Touch Screen
« on: December 30, 2020, 03:26:35 pm »
I have managed to obtain an old pub jukebox / games machine. It has fitted a Kortek 17” touchscreen, can’t find much info online. It seems to have a serial interface but not sure of the type of driver or what company to use. Existing hard drive not much help as it seems to be of Linux origins and I have trouble accessing at the moment.

Any assistance would be appreciated as I want to set this back up as a jukebox with a new motherboard and software. I could add buttons but it would be a waste of a touchscreen.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:20 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: kortek Touch Screen
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 04:29:58 pm »
peel'er open and see who actually makes the controller for the touchscreen. (you are going to need to know exactly which one it is to get proper drivers anyways.)

it's likely a 3m microtouch EX series, as that was the most common in the 17" era, but i've seen about 4 or 5 different manufacturers used in my time.

open it up and take a pic of the board (that way you can zoom in and whatnot) and gargle up the numbers on it.

Gazzer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 05:08:12 pm »
peel'er open and see who actually makes the controller for the touchscreen. (you are going to need to know exactly which one it is to get proper drivers anyways.)

it's likely a 3m microtouch EX series, as that was the most common in the 17" era, but i've seen about 4 or 5 different manufacturers used in my time.

open it up and take a pic of the board (that way you can zoom in and whatnot) and gargle up the numbers on it.

Thanks, looks like screwdrivers out tomorrow, camera on zoom and google at the ready. I’m more at home building jukeboxes with buttons than using a touchscreen. But this cost me a whole £20, which included screen an old PC and coin mech which attached to PC via an pci card. Two hard drives in PC one corrupt but now reformatted and has been running for 3 days with no issues, the other seems to be Linux based. So not a bad investment considering hardware within.

Gazzer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 09:45:33 am »

Well looks like you were spot on, chip is a EXII, will look for drivers tomorrow.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 01:16:49 am »
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/touch-systems-us/resources/3m-touch-drivers-and-kernel-patches/

it's quite common to not be able to find drivers for a particular OS. you might have to shoehorn XP drivers into windows 7 or something like that... but luckily 3m have carried driver support out to win10 so your application whatever it may end up being should be covered.

Gazzer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 02:49:33 pm »
Well for some reason when connected via 9 pin to 9 pin serial lead screen not recognized. USB to serial detected on COM 3. Found a collection of 3M drivers at https://www.touchwindow.com/c/3Mmicrotouch.html which I then by trial and error got the right XP drivers. But first time it loaded everything the dreaded failed to install correctly window appeared, but as it had finally recognized a screen was attached I swapped back to the direct serial connection (usb out) and reloaded driver and action a working screen. But the touch was miles out. A quick run of the calibration program and we’re up and running. Took 5 minutes to adjust jukebox software and now I have a lovely touchscreen jukebox. Many thanks lilshawn for putting me on the right track.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:29:06 pm by Gazzer »

Gazzer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 03:15:20 pm »
Finally after working allowed, screen fitted back in and works a treat.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 03:46:53 pm »
that's not a half bad looking kiosk cabinet.  :cheers:

glad you got it sorted.

Gazzer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 05:54:57 am »
that's not a half bad looking kiosk cabinet.  :cheers:

glad you got it sorted.

Thank you for your help, I picked the case up for £20 with the screen and an old PC inside. Got screen working but PC wasn't in great shape but salvaged some parts from it. Now has a customised PC case with Windows XP running the show. It has a miniature wireless keyboard which can be used as a remote control.

It has SK Jukebox & DW Jukebox loaded. SK still having a few issues with skipping songs and a couple of error messages after songs finished playing so need to look into this. Funny works ok on another hard drive that I have with another copy of XP?