Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 Player Pedestal Build  (Read 17587 times)

lomoverde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: 4 Player Pedestal Build
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2022, 01:42:55 pm »
Mike this one's for you.   ;D

I did some digging and found the cab I was talking about that I think did a great job making a retro theme collage from unrelated games and making it all feel very classic 80's.  It was posted longer ago than I thought.

You can see how he recreated the artwork to fit in a cohesive style.  I really like the look in the end.  It CAN be done!  :)

Would the scaling of those characters not do your nut in after a while tho ?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2022, 02:09:54 pm »
I like the colour.

All it need now is a flux capacitor and a Mr. Fusion    :applaud:
Check out my completed projects!

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:00:22 pm
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2022, 02:22:15 pm »
Definitely a cool look.  Just not the direction I'm looking to go.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2022, 01:29:30 pm »
Unrelated to all of the CP stuff, I have to give a huge, freakin huge shoutout to Andy at Ultimarc.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought a ton of stuff from Ultimarc last January and received it 11 months ago.  I opened the box but didn't really inventory everything to make sure I received what I ordered.  So, a couple weeks ago when I was putting all the joysticks, buttons, etc in the wood mockup I made, I went through everything in the box,.  Came to find out that I was missing an I-Pac.  I originally ordered 2 of them but only had 1.  Needless to say, I was crushed and feared I was out $100 to get another one.

Sent Andy an email about it and told him what happened.  I asked him if he would have any sales on I-Pac's coming up.  I didn't need the 2nd one today so maybe I could save myself $20 or something down the line.  Andy said no, it was their mistake and he sent me another I-Pac.  I needed a couple more $ inserts for buttons and told him to at least let me cover the shipping and buy the inserts.  Nope, in addition to the I-Pac and wiring harness, he sent the inserts and covered shipping.

If anyone reading this needs to buy hardware for a build, I wouldn't buy from anywhere else.  Not many companies or people would honor this and do what he did.  It was completely my fault for not checking the original shipment to make sure everything was there.  Side note..... don't do what I did and let 11 months pass before checking deliveries you get!

I don't know if I'll ever build another machine in my lifetime, but he has a customer for life.  I'm not sure if he's on this forum or not, but kudos to him!  Happy to share this story with everyone here.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2022, 03:00:59 pm »
Nice to have good news stories.

I've always found Andy to give excellent support. He responds quickly and takes the customer's side.

As a funny note, once he sent me a replacement ArcadeVGA card (days before CRT_emulator) and it somehow went to Austria instead (I was in Australia). I'd forgotten completely about it by the time it turned up! Other than that one time, whenever he sent stuff to me it would always arrive, in exactly 7 days, at the other end of the world.

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 11:08:50 pm
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2022, 01:02:30 am »
If I was building a pedestal again, I would delete the 7th button for player one and two.  I would also delete the trackball. 

Keep going with the build.  You'll get there.

I'm curious as to why?  Mortal Kombat gets a lot of play in my cabs, and so does NeoGeo.  I have a straight 6-pack with the 7th offset and I've found that to be the most useful for me.
for neogeo i just use the home consoles controller layout. "x" is unmapped for neogeo.
C D X
A B X

All the rest use a standard 6 button layout
1 2 3
4 5 6

for mortal kombat only buttons 5 and 6 need to swap as the default order 1-6 for mk is
hp, bl, hk, lp, lk, rn

Altho being a subzero fan i tend to put block in the middle on the bottom row so i can just hit the bottom 3 for his slide. last i looked it didnt seem like it would effect any other characters being that way.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 11:08:50 pm
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2022, 01:15:17 am »
Im not where near as far as you, but personally on my pedestal layout i have the side players at 90 degrees from the front players. this includes their buttons as well so they will stand on either side of the control panel. i havnt tried playing with the buttons on the sides being at any kind of angle. perhaps just a 30 degree angle.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

Billy_Goatfeet

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:00:07 am
  • Bleat.
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2022, 01:14:26 pm »
---fudgesicle--- me.
That looks ---smurfing--- terrible.
I am getting ready for work and that collage just wrecked my whole day.
Artwork should have a theme and a purpose.
Please start over.

:laugh2:
 :laugh2:
I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2022, 11:41:12 am »
If I was building a pedestal again, I would delete the 7th button for player one and two.  I would also delete the trackball. 

Keep going with the build.  You'll get there.

I'm curious as to why?  Mortal Kombat gets a lot of play in my cabs, and so does NeoGeo.  I have a straight 6-pack with the 7th offset and I've found that to be the most useful for me.
for neogeo i just use the home consoles controller layout. "x" is unmapped for neogeo.
C D X
A B X

All the rest use a standard 6 button layout
1 2 3
4 5 6

for mortal kombat only buttons 5 and 6 need to swap as the default order 1-6 for mk is
hp, bl, hk, lp, lk, rn

Altho being a subzero fan i tend to put block in the middle on the bottom row so i can just hit the bottom 3 for his slide. last i looked it didnt seem like it would effect any other characters being that way.
I built a Neo Geo themed cab, so did a 7 button layout to get the Neo Geo 4 in a row.  After using it a while, I found that I REALLY prefer:

ABC
D

for the Neo Geo games.  Not authentic, but it feels more comfortable to hit the D button with my thumb than using a pinky or moving fingers over.

The more modern curved layout with convex buttons also causes me to lose track of where my fingers are on games with more than 3 buttons.  I find myself looking down to reset my finger positions more often.

If I were doing it over, I'd have stuck with the plain old "straight 6" layout with concave buttons.

FYI, most games in MAME are set up for a
layout.  Arranging buttons like that requires the least remapping.

EDIT:  I'll also add that I was going to add an analog flight stick, but realized that I don't care for most of the arcade games that used one. The exception would be Space Harrier, but it plays pretty well with a standard joystick.  I like the dual analog stick games, but those are more suited to a sit down cab.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:46:04 am by BadMouth »

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2022, 11:37:38 pm »
8 months later.... not much progress until the last couple weeks..... I scrapped my original artwork design and I'm sure some/most of you will appreciate that!   ;D

I really wanted to stick with old school characters and all.  I refined it a bunch more after the original image I posted but just wasn't loving the black, star background.  Both of my boys didn't love it either.  So, I searched and searched the net for high res images.  Spent hours just searching for something I could use....  Ended up finding a couple super high res images so I grabbed those.  Used one of them as the base and then cut/pasted some other images to fill in places. 

I think it's looking pretty good now.  I am still tweaking button positions.  Think I am going to rotate P1 and P2 a bit counter-clockwise.  I'm going to print this and try it out.  Let me know what you think.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2022, 07:22:04 am »
I just read the post where I said I wasn't going to comment any further.

Good Luck with this. I hope it all works out for you.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 07:49:32 am by Mike A »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2022, 09:20:45 am »
I also wish you good luck with this. That is some pretty exciting art.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2022, 10:40:41 am »
Well, you've got a glowering Ryu, so you're halfway there.  It lacks Dirk the Daring, though.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2022, 11:53:49 am »
Well, you've got a glowering Ryu, so you're halfway there.  It lacks Dirk the Daring, though.

Lacking Dirk the Daring should be a crime.  Obviously from my picture here I am not biased in any way, shape or form and can be trusted to be objective on this matter.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2022, 03:35:34 pm »

Lacking Dirk the Daring should be a crime.  Obviously from my picture here I am not biased in any way, shape or form and can be trusted to be objective on this matter.

Yeah... it's getting other things that don't have the same look into this without looking completely out of place.  The couple files I found were based on Super Smash Bros.... I've never played it, but my boys have and loved it.  That's what steered me in this direction.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2022, 04:22:08 pm »
Maybe something along the lines of this.  I tried to find a closer match to your art style.  This is a quick and dirty revision, so take it for what it's worth.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2022, 08:24:53 pm »
Don't put Dirk, with his sword out like that, right there. Eeeeew!

Also, if you are going to add Dirk, you also need to put Daphne somewhere.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2022, 02:11:37 am »
Oh dear...
I was looking for inspiration on a pedestal build at some point.

Less truly is more.
And when it isn't, there is a ratio of content to blank space that makes even intentionally busy/ecletic things still look good.

For anything purposefully overloaded, there is also a range of size variation across elements that should be kept within too.

And for anything with such an overwhelming color palate in elements the background color becomes a critical element also.

This is so far past manageably full to numbingly cluttered in every manner possible that I wouldn't know where to put it.

Even something as ludicrous as tokidoki bags wisely stay within at least some parameters and good illustrators are hard to come by.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2022, 04:15:15 am »
You've managed to avoid Joynicorns, and face-covering buttons, but P3 and P4 are pretty solidly in crotch-stick territory.   :embarassed:

Scott

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2022, 09:00:39 am »
Less truly is more.
And when it isn't, there is a ratio of content to blank space that makes even intentionally busy/ecletic things still look good.

For anything purposefully overloaded, there is also a range of size variation across elements that should be kept within too.

And for anything with such an overwhelming color palate in elements the background color becomes a critical element also.

This is so far past manageably full to numbingly cluttered in every manner possible that I wouldn't know where to put it.

Even something as ludicrous as tokidoki bags wisely stay within at least some parameters and good illustrators are hard to come by.

I hear you, and realize this isn't for everyone.... apparently most of the folks on this board.  I'm OK with that.  I did not set out to build some specific theme with simple art approved by the overwhelming majority of this board.  I wanted a collage and my boys wanted something like that too.  In the end, people are going to be looking at a TV playing games and will pay less and less attention to artwork.  I'm sure everyone will love all the RGB buttons lit up too when I get to that point  ;D

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2022, 09:06:14 am »
At least you are a shoe in for the Multicade Hall of Shame on KLOV.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2022, 09:07:27 am »
You've managed to avoid Joynicorns, and face-covering buttons, but P3 and P4 are pretty solidly in crotch-stick territory.   :embarassed:

Scott

I'm not sure I totally follow-up about crotch stick...???  You mean the corners to the let and right hitting your crotch while playing the P3 and P4 positions?  I have tweaked the positions a little bit compared to the mockup I made.  I've stood in front of it numerous times with my boys checking positions and don't think there's a problem.  I have thought about round those off instead of the angles/corners.... not sure it I will do it or not.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2022, 09:10:24 am »
At least you are a shoe in for the Multicade Hall of Shame on KLOV.

That's been my goal since I was a kid!!!

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2022, 09:44:10 am »
Your artwork is positioned so that the p4 joystick looks like a giant dick.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2022, 10:13:14 am »

This - Ok.

Cartoon Frogs - Not ok.

???

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2022, 10:15:26 am »
Duh... I should of been able to figure that out, especially since you posted a picture of it.... not enough coffee for me this morning.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2022, 09:36:40 pm »
i had one of those too...red... :dunno :lol

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2022, 03:29:03 pm »
Major progress over the past few weeks..... finished up the CP layout and contacted a local shop to laser cut the acrylic.  I also had them cut the wood for me so the acrylic and wood matched up perfect.  If someone is in the Raleigh area and wants details, let me know.  Cost me under $300 to get that done and I'm very happy with it!

Started making the CP box next.  My wife was out of town all weekend so focused on moving things along.... Bought 1x6's for it and ripped them down to 4 inches.  Probably could of used 1x4's but had originally bought 1x6's for some reason.  Decided to use angle brackets instead of cutting and making a bunch of wooden pieces like some others have done.  Used Gorilla Glue for the joints.

Set everything on the base

Drilled 4 holes to anchor the board to the base.  Drilled a couple 1 inch holes to feed cables down below.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2022, 03:35:29 pm »
Next, started with outlining the trackball and joysticks to get the areas routed.  Used a speed square to make sure I had the trackball straight.  I am using the bevel with it and had it installed underneath to make sure the ball was in the right position.

Marked the holes with a small screwdriver

First joystick installed

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2022, 03:46:11 pm »
Next, wanted to get the T-molding slots cut out.  I took care of the top and decided to let my 16 year old do the base.  Was a bit nervous because it was his first time using a router....  Happy to report, no mistakes!  (Not sure why he's stretched...???)

Drilled holes on the bottom of the base and put on some adjustable feet.  Nothing exciting there...

Painted the underside of the CP

Decided to go with magnets to hold the rear access door instead of hinges.  It sits on an angle and with those 2 magnets, it holds in place just fine.  Need to add a handle to the door though.

Moved the CP to my basement to start the wiring and everything else.  You will see that I drilled all of the insert holes completely though.  If I had it to do over again, I would of filled those in.  Once I applied the vinyl, you can see 2 or 3 of the holes.  Most are perfect, but if you look close in a couple areas you can see it.

Painted the base

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2022, 03:58:38 pm »
I am using the illuminated joystick balls from Ultimarc.  I swapped out all of the joysticks with the LED's.  Somehow, after I installed them, I damaged one of the connection jacks on the bottom.  No idea what hit it or how, but I gotta order another one from Andy.

I applied the vinyl, installed the acrylic, buttons, joysticks, etc...  I know some here hate the artwork.  I like it, my kids love it.  Wife loves it.  That's the key  ;)

All of the Goldleaf buttons had to be removed and I had to chisel some of the wood out. The threads on the nuts were barely grabbing the buttons.  Would of been much nocer if I would of just routed it at the time.  I checked and thought it would be OK as it so I took the shortcut.  Luckily no one will be looking at it.... except those of you here.

Flipped the board over and started wiring.  Gotta say, getting the harnesses and all of the wires already terminated is such a nice thing!!!  I'm about 2/3 done as of now.  More grounds and cleanup to do.

Just ordered my power supply, fans, surge protector, power switch, etc... I need to start computer shopping and figure out what front end I want to use, where to get the games, etc.  I haven't read much about that stuff yet and have some work to do for sure.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2022, 08:07:41 pm »
I know some here hate the artwork.  I like it, my kids love it.  Wife loves it.  That's the key  ;)

Yes

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2022, 10:45:59 pm »
Looking good Shookie!   Don't worry about the art opinions.  As long as you like it, all is well.  More important then that, I hope the panel plays well for you!  Curious what you all think after some intense games of marble madness.

Greenman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2023, 03:59:00 am
  • Made in Australia
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2022, 10:55:53 pm »
I like the artwork.  Keep building it the way you and your family want it.   :applaud:
My previous projects:

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2022, 04:37:12 pm »
Question for everyone.... I added 2 buttons next to the spinner and am not sure where to wire those on the IPAC....???  I've searched and searched the site and couldn't find a definitive answer. 

I found 1 post where someone mentioned splitting the wire to P1 Button 1 so that 2 buttons go to the same input on the IPAC.  I have some spare connections since I'm not using 8 buttons for any of the players.  I assume it can be mapped correctly for games like Arkanoid, but I'm not sure.

Appreciate input on this from anyone here, thanks!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2022, 07:30:27 pm »
You can wire 2+ buttons to the same IPAC input, no problems

Using the IPAC software programming utility, you can also program 2+ inputs to the same keyboard code.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2022, 09:20:13 pm »
You can wire 2+ buttons to the same IPAC input, no problems

Using the IPAC software programming utility, you can also program 2+ inputs to the same keyboard code.

Perfect, thank you!

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2022, 11:51:43 am »
Pretty much done with all of the button/joystick wiring.  Set the CP on the base and am happy with it!  Pictures below....

Next steps are getting the power switch installed, USB hub installed, finish wiring, etc.  I am probably going to poly the base as well to provide some protection against the paint getting chipped.  Will probably add some graphics to the base at some point as well.

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2022, 05:15:03 pm »
Bought my PC today as well.... my wife gets points through her job that allows you to order merchandise, travel, etc.  So, we are kind of getting it for free.  This allowed me to upgrade and get a PC that will run pretty much anything I throw at it.  It has a Ryzen 5 5600G processor and Radeon RX 6600 graphics card so that should handle just about anything.  I had to convince my wife a bit on why that much computer is needed, but was able to pull it off  ;D

Here's a link to the exact machine
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-5600g-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-6600-500gb-ssd-black/6489032.p?skuId=6489032

Shookie

• Offline Offline
  • This one goes to 11
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2022, 05:46:55 pm »
Took care of all the final cuts in the cabinet.... decided to put a fan on each side to exhaust warm air out of the base.  On the sides, they will be covered up by the CP and less visible so I decided on that location.  The fans are 90mm size and I am using a couple old phone charger bricks I had to run them.  Both run at 12 volts.  I can also wire up to the transformer I installed if I want.  I drilled a couple 4 inch holes in the base to allow air into the base.

I mounted the transformer up in the top section of the base.  It's got 5V and 12V outputs on it with a pot to adjust the voltage.  I dialed it in at 5V exactly before hooking everything up.  I plan on checking it out once all the lights are on to see if there's much of a drop.  One of the fans is to the left of the transformer.  I figure there should be some air flow there to help remove heat.

Since I am using 2 IPAC Ultimates, there's a different setup to ID the 2nd IPAC as #2.  There's separate firmware to update the 2nd IPAC.  There's a video online of how to do this so I followed it and it worked just fine.  When I plugged in my laptop and ran the WinIPAC software, the right half (P2 and P4) lit up.  Was pretty cool to see.

I hooked up to both IPAC's and got all the lights on.  It just cycled through some different colors and kept doing it.  Probably old news to a lot of you, but this is my first build and it was refreshing to see!  Every light worked too...  no wiring issues that I had to chase down and that was a relief!  I downloaded a keyboard test program and verified all the buttons and joysticks so all good on that front as well.

I have some reading/learning on what to map each of them to.... watching various videos and the directions and buttons are mapped to different letters/characters.  Like I said, I haven't read up on it but I assume this has to do with what frontend there is?  The corresponding letter/character has to be right for the software to understand the inputs I guess....???