Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovymame on component TV with GreenAntz transcoder  (Read 3099 times)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:27:21 am
Groovymame on component TV with GreenAntz transcoder
« on: December 28, 2020, 07:18:43 pm »
We have released the GreenAntz RGB/VGA to component transcoder.

The transcoder is has been designed with CRT_emulator/Groovymame/GroovyArcade in mind, but can take RGBHV inputs from a wide range of sources. GreenAntz allows you to use a standard CRT TV with component inputs is same way as you would use an arcade monitor or TV with RGB inputs.

It makes doing 15khz arcade or other retrogaming with component TVs very easy. It is the simple solution many have been waiting for.

I posted in more detail on the Monitor/Video forum branch as that seemed the most logical place. However also posting this "heads up" on Groovymame branch as it is very relevant here too. More details on the other post:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164245.0.html

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:32:12 pm by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!

Substring

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:52:09 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Re: Groovymame on component TV with GreenAntz transcoder
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 04:17:21 am »
I see that Shadow over Mystara was converted from 304x224@59.637406 to 304x40@59.940, any reason to this ? Because of the TV or GreenAntz ?

In other words : on what frequency range can GreenAntz work ?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 06:24:25 am »
I see that Shadow over Mystara was converted from 304x224@59.637406 to 304x40@59.940, any reason to this ? Because of the TV or GreenAntz ?

That's probably because he's using the "ntsc" monitor preset in GM. I bet the board can handle the "arcade_15" preset just fine.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 06:28:59 am »

Awesome job Zebidee  :applaud:
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:44:51 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 09:46:01 am »
Very cool, nice work!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 12:48:35 pm »

That's probably because he's using the "ntsc" monitor preset in GM. I bet the board can handle the "arcade_15" preset just fine.

Calamity is 100% correct - though in this case I'm actually using two "crt_range" presets, with both NTSC and PAL available (in this case it chose a mode/timing from NTSC crt_range). It is just a default/conservative setup of mine. I have tested other monitor presets with GreenAntz before and it works just as well with the generic_15 and arcade_15, and can handle difficult timings like ~55hz.

GreenAntz itself doesn't care one way or the other as it does nothing to your video mode timings. Transcoding the colour space doesn't touch these, nor does the composite sync generation (which just takes the timings given to it). It introduces no new limitations and can handle any "normal" frequencies/video modes you throw at it. You have the same flexibility you'd expect if using RGB.

Hmmm, maybe i should install some other monitor presets and take some pics to demonstate this.

A caveat to that is GreenAntz will probably not work with all modern HDTVs. This is not GreenAntz fault - Some HDTVs do not display lowres modes like 240p properly (or at all) and it is a common problem for console retrogaming in particular. Only worth mentioning here because some of these HDTVs have component inputs intended for a Wii or DVD/Bluray players. Console players get around this with scalers that multiply the video mode lines to effectively make it 480p/720p/1080p. You could use a scaler with GreenAntz to get around this issue, just like you would with a console. 

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 01:00:42 pm »

Awesome job Zebidee  :applaud:

Thank you Calamity :D :notworthy:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 12:05:35 pm »
GreenAntz RGB/VGA to component transcoders have just been upgraded to accept composite sync input via VGA (in addition to default separate H+V sync input).

For more details, including simple instructions on how to upgrade older GreenAntz units to take composite sync, please refer the thread posted on the monitor/video forum branch.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164245.msg1734209.html#msg1734209