Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GreenAntz RGB to component transcoder  (Read 18142 times)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:12:16 am
Re: GreenAntz RGB to component transcoder
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2021, 08:53:34 pm »
Very nice work!  :cheers:

Thanks Emphatic!

Many people ask "Can I use GreenAntz to turn a component TV into a monitor for an arcade cabinet?"

The answer is YES and I'll give a brief overview.

Firstly, you'll need some 500R (500 ohm) potentiometers in series on the RGB inputs to GreenAntz. This is to bring the higher voltage arcade RGB signals down to typical SDTV levels ~0.7vpp. I chose cermet multiturn pots for this as they are much better quality and easier to adjust than the standard cheap carbon film trimpots, which are very fiddly and break easily.

You can then run the RGBS+Ground signals through the pots and into the GreenAntz using a VGA (male) header with screw terminals. You won't need any resistors or pots on the sync signal when using the VGA version of GreenAntz.

You can do similar thing with the SCART version of GreenAntz, but you will need to put a resistor (~500 to 1000 ohms) on the sync input.

Secondly, depending on your GreenAntz power supply, you may see significant interference as the ground loop is shared with the JAMMA. Better power supplies minimise this issue, but the simplest solution is to take the 5v directly from the DC PSU instead! You can do this with a simple cable made from 2 wires with female spade crimps on the PSU end, and tinned wire at the GreenAntz end. Alternatively, you could use fork/U connectors instead of female crimps or a 4-pin molex header if using an ATX type power supply.

Pop a standard 5.08mm pitch 2-post screw terminal onto the GreenAntz (using the pads/holes that are already on the PCB), or even solder directly to the PCB. Make sure to mark the ground terminal with a permanent marker so you don't get the wires mixed up (I marked the terminal after taking the photos below, but you can see it marked in the middle pic above).

Finally, most arcade PCBs output composite sync, so you will need to enable composite sync input on the GreenAntz. In current versions you just flick a switch. However if you have a very early build of GreenAntz that doesn't support composite sync directly already, please refer to the FAQ above for info on how to make it work. You can also contact me directly and I'll help you.

If you have a SCART GreenAntz unit it supports composite sync already automatically (except you will need to add a resistor to sync input as noted above).

Here are a few gratuitous screenshots to keep you happy. for more information and screenshots check out my post on making the supergun with GreenAntz to test PCBs. Please contact me directly if you want to get a GreenAntz unit.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 08:56:18 pm by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:08:02 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2021, 05:10:13 pm »
A-ha!

Brilliant.

I remember you saying this was possible but I have been too busy to have time to try it.

Maybe soon I hope?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

marcelinho1979

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2021, 11:17:17 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2021, 04:47:17 pm »
Great converter!  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: I need one!  ;D

pixelss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2022, 10:10:18 pm
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2022, 11:08:07 pm »
finally found a solution to my upcoming cabinet that i will like to use my CRT tv with my desktop.

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 03:32:29 pm
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2022, 12:12:34 am »
Cool to see such creativy. Doing things others haven't.
Life is a Game and we are all being Played.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:08:02 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2022, 01:27:03 am »

Yes, and yes.

I have 5 and they just work.
Great support from that Zebidee guy too, if you need it.

Find yourself a component input tv and make your mame life grand.
Don't worry that it is coming from a far away land.
It will get to you (even if it goes through New Jersey on it's way to Hawai'i...?!)
 :lol
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2022, 01:51:36 am »

Yes, and yes.

I have 5 and they just work.
Great support from that Zebidee guy too, if you need it.

Find yourself a component input tv and make your mame life grand.
Don't worry that it is coming from a far away land.
It will get to you (even if it goes through New Jersey on it's way to Hawai'i...?!)
 :lol

Thanks Bobby!

I don't think the parcels really go to NJ. Bangkok port area has various "free trade zones" where foreign companies can operate with tax concessions and other investment incentives. Part of it involves being able to declare their warehouse as domestic soil, to a limited extent (not like an embassy, but for tax/duties/payroll etc.). Thus why the tracking may show a parcel going to NJ, even if it never physically goes there (or does it!!!!  :o   I'm just playing with your brain now).

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 02:13:07 am by Zebidee »

fsmith2003

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2022, 08:22:10 pm
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2022, 08:54:06 pm »
I must have one of these!  How do I get my hands on one?  I cant seen to send PM's on here yet I suppose because I am new to the forum.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2022, 11:01:42 pm »
I must have one of these!  How do I get my hands on one?  I cant seen to send PM's on here yet I suppose because I am new to the forum.

Hi fsmith2003 and welcome to BYOAC! The forum lets you send PMs after you have posted, so you should be good to go now.

retrometro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2022, 04:58:53 pm
    • Arcade, mame, retro... and the gp2x.
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2022, 04:56:35 pm »
How much is this thing?  I canít follow this thread

Special price for you Pbj (and other members), only US$45 + courier shipping ($15 to USA via USPS). Price for strictly limited time, basically until I can be bothered listing some on our favourite online marketplaces.

Hi, I just came across this thread and I love that there's another alternative to Retrotink's overpriced RGB2COMP.

Do you have a site to order and what kind of changes have their been since this mid 2021 post?
-------- gp2x and retro... play it forever! ------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0EE573E86D5A86E0
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2022, 09:02:03 pm »
Just PM me to order. Prices still same as above.

It is still basically the same as you can see in the latest pictures above. I've been tinkering with a SMD/boxed version, but it will be a while.

The RGB2COMP only has SCART input. This is great for consoles, but if you want to use it with a PC you still have to manage combining H+V sync and buy/hack a VGA-SCART cable together.

With GreenAntz there are both VGA (PC/Pi/PCB etc.) and SCART (console) input versions. VGA version "rolls its own" clean composite sync from your raw PC sync input, then slips it into the Y signal for your TV. This means to connect GreenAntz VGA to a PC, you just need a standard VGA male-male, which are cheap and available everywhere.

GreenAntz is also great for arcade cabs as the PCB legs make it easy to screw into place.

Kairamiel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2022, 06:16:00 pm
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2022, 05:43:29 pm »
This unit is exactly what i have been searching for! I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find without going through multiple adapters and cables...  I guess those of us who are interested in reaching this far back in technology must not be many. I will send you a PM to purchase if it's still available. Thanks for making this! :notworthy:

slowready

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2022, 06:25:47 pm
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2022, 06:48:45 pm »
Thanks Zebidee, will be PMing you to order  :applaud: