Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame plays lower quality then previously did.  (Read 1727 times)

zebrazach27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 01:24:10 pm
  • Improving my own Mame cabinet
Mame plays lower quality then previously did.
« on: December 25, 2020, 12:49:39 am »
I recently upgraded my computer, and downloaded a new copy of mame and transferred the roms. I went to play and the video quality was much less crisp then before. All of my video settings are on auto (except the video output). I tried switching from d3d to OpenGL and there was no difference in quality. I use mame to play games such as galaga, so it’s not a very detailed game, yet the text and game itself seems much lower quality then before. The game plays fine, no skipping or anything. Any help? I was thinking it might be a setting I need to change, or something like that. Any response helps.

Thanks, Zach

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Mame plays lower quality then previously did.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 03:24:42 am »
Are you using on board graphics or a PCI-e add on, or...

Details of computer before and computer now are necessary for any helpful feedback (which I am probably NOT the best resource for- but you never know-)

Processor type and speed
Graphics card and display used
MAME build type and version # (and roms version too- which really need to match)
Etc...

A good emulation system is a cocktail that can taste awful after altering one ingredient.

And even the old 8 bit games (my personal favorites) are more demanding than you think (when faithfully emulated) and every update of MAME gets better- and therefore even more demanding.

Someone here wiser than me (most are) will chime in if you ask a question with details specific enough to answer clearly.

Happy Holidays!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 06:42:46 am
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 08:59:22 am »
Change "filter" to 0.

zebrazach27

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 10:15:02 am »
What file would I change this in? Mame.ini?

zebrazach27

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 10:18:17 am »
I am using a Lenovo 510a with a 8th gen i3, onboard graphics, a 27 inch 1080p monitor. I know this may make some people cringe, but I am upgrading from a core 2 duo optiplex that was able to (mostly) play the games in playing like galaga, and was much more crisp/high quality than atm with my new setup.

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 06:42:46 am
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 04:20:41 pm »
What file would I change this in? Mame.ini?
Yes