Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Console For Lightguns?  (Read 6640 times)

josepgoyl74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2020, 11:35:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Best Console For Lightguns?
« on: December 24, 2020, 06:06:59 am »
I've been looking to get into light gun games, but can probably only get one console and a bunch of games. I already have an old CRT, so it should work. What console is the best for light gun games, and has a decent selection? I mainly want arcade style games, but some story games would be alright. Also a few kid friendly (not scary) games, for my little cousins!

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 11:36:32 pm
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
Re: Best Console For Lightguns?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 09:26:32 am »
I've been looking to get into light gun games, but can probably only get one console and a bunch of games. I already have an old CRT, so it should work. What console is the best for light gun games, and has a decent selection? I mainly want arcade style games, but some story games would be alright. Also a few kid friendly (not scary) games, for my little cousins!
I'd say the PS2, since is has plenty of those games, and can also play PS1 games.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 02:34:00 am »
Ps2 is probably the best.  The Saturn has some good games as well. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 06:50:23 am »
PS2 with a HDD mod hands down the best lightgun solution with the biggest and best library.
Dont forget it can play PS1 to :D

Klatu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2021, 09:10:30 am
  • I Seek info without intimidation. Is it possible?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 06:11:36 pm »
I have Every light gun game available for the PS2, Saturn, NES, Master System and Genesis and it is true that the PS2 has hands down the best library with GunCon 1 & 2 and Konami Justifier compatibility, but the system I enjoy playing light gun games on the most is the MasterSystem. Although there are only 13 games (1 is 3-D as well), the Sega Master systems more responsive trigger and more accurate targeting makes it more fun for me. I found that none of the light gun games work properly on my 2 flat tube Sony Trinitron CRT TVs, but all work great on both my curved tube RCA and VGA monitor CRT.

Klatu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2021, 09:10:30 am
  • I Seek info without intimidation. Is it possible?
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 07:51:02 pm »
Quote from: Titchgamer: PS2 with a HDD mod hands down the best lightgun solution with the biggest and best library[/quote
I am a bit confused as to how an HDD mod is the best lightgun solution. An HDD has no affect on the form fit or fuction of a light gun game other than you can copy games to the HDD.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 12:01:35 pm »
I have Every light gun game available for the PS2, Saturn, NES, Master System and Genesis and it is true that the PS2 has hands down the best library with GunCon 1 & 2 and Konami Justifier compatibility, but the system I enjoy playing light gun games on the most is the MasterSystem. Although there are only 13 games (1 is 3-D as well), the Sega Master systems more responsive trigger and more accurate targeting makes it more fun for me. I found that none of the light gun games work properly on my 2 flat tube Sony Trinitron CRT TVs, but all work great on both my curved tube RCA and VGA monitor CRT.

I have a flat tube Trinitron KV32FS13 and I can confirm that it works with PS2 (GunCon 1 + 2), PS1 (GunCon 1), Genesis (Justifier), Master System (Light Phaser, using Genesis), and NES (Zapper).

PS2 is the king of light gun games, but PS1 is a close second. There are a bunch of patches for games that were Justifier compatible to work with the original GunCon. Since they're patched, the games won't easily run on a PS2, as I don't think Popstarter has good compatibility for light gun games, but I don't have experience with that, so someone may correct me.

With a swap disc or a modded PS1 with a GunCon 1, you can play:

Point Blank 1, 2, 3
Time Crisis
Time Crisis: Project Titan (excellent follow-up, BTW)
Gunfighter: The Legend of Jesse James (Spaghetti Western Time Crisis)
Elemental Gearbolt
Game Tengoku 2 (Shoot 'em up where player 1 controls the ship and player 2 uses a light gun.)
Judge Dredd
Maximum Force
Oh! Bakyuuun (AKA Ghoul Panic, the decent follow-up to Point Blank. English version is PAL release only, but I could not get the NTSC patch to work)
Project Horned Owl (GunCon patch)
Lethal Enforcers I + II (GunCon patch)
Crypt Killer (GunCon patch)
Die Hard Trilogy (GunCon patch)
Simple 1500 Series Vol. 24 - The Gun Shooting (In Japanese, I couldn't figure out how to get to level 2.)

Star Wars Rebel Assault II (GunCon patch worked, but Disc 1 crashed mid-game for me.)
Policenauts (GunCon and other patches seemed to work, but Disc 1 crashed before I got to a shooting segment, so I don't know if the GunCon patch truly worked or not)

I should mention that the GunCon patches don't always work with in-game calibration. A few of the games have to be played with adjusted sights, but it's probably still better than playing with the PS1 Justifier, given all the negative stuff I've heard about that lightgun's accuracy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:06:04 pm by KenToad »

exodus123456

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2021, 08:40:11 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 11:24:35 am »
PS2 hands down  :cheers:

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 05:26:02 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 08:44:15 am »
If you only want a console then PS2.

But if you get a decent PC that can handle somewhat modern emulators then you'll get PS2, and you can have hundreds of other lightgun games as well, and you can play PS3, Wii, PS1, Mame, Sega arcade games, Teknoparrot etc..

Time Crisis 5 only came to arcades, but it's fully playable on a PC with a lightgun through emulation. 99.99% chance you will never be able to play it anywhere else.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:46:45 am by Jayinem »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 01:35:28 pm »
Quote from: Titchgamer: PS2 with a HDD mod hands down the best lightgun solution with the biggest and best library[/quote
I am a bit confused as to how an HDD mod is the best lightgun solution. An HDD has no affect on the form fit or fuction of a light gun game other than you can copy games to the HDD.

On the form or fit no, But the Library it defo does :)

1) Yes you can copy games to the HDD but also play games from other regions.
2) No more wear on the Laser after all many PS2 lasers have already started to fail.

So not required for a ultimate lightgun setup per se but certainly has its advantages and has a very small cost associated.