Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can I have your opinion on this used Initial D unit I might get for a project  (Read 3543 times)

Rockstead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Do you think it’s worth taking this on as a restoration / Mame conversion?

It bothers me that the seats are cracked, but I’m told that product can be applied and it can be repainted, is this feasible and would it look factory?

I don’t like the fact that the shifter is on the left, I’m assuming this is a European model that was converted?

Do you think it’s feasible to have the shifter relocated to the right, or even a replacement shifter place on the right? Then I wouldn’t know where the buttons would go

I keep googling version 2 builds and I’ve never seen a red seat, what’s up with that?

Any other advice?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 07:03:37 pm by Rockstead »

fablog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 10:30:06 pm
What's the price?

Envoyé de mon LEX722 en utilisant Tapatalk

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
It's got that basic sega racing cabinet design, which is great.  You can buy a right handed dash but it would probably be quite expensive.  My suggestion... if you think you can do some basic bondo work just mount the shifter on the right and cut and patch the plastic shell to make it look nice.  You'll also need four "view" buttons as well.... Install those in the metal plate and swap out that shifter for a 4 pos one and you can basically play every sega racer you can emulate.  I'm not sure about the seat tbh. 

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
It's got that basic sega racing cabinet design, which is great.  You can buy a right handed dash but it would probably be quite expensive.  My suggestion... if you think you can do some basic bondo work just mount the shifter on the right and cut and patch the plastic shell to make it look nice.  You'll also need four "view" buttons as well.... Install those in the metal plate and swap out that shifter for a 4 pos one and you can basically play every sega racer you can emulate.  I'm not sure about the seat tbh.
Howard,

What would be the perfect layout to include non sega racers as well? Like how many buttons, and which steering wheel, shifter, and pedals would you swap in there? And where would you place them?

I’m guessing some of the newer wheels might have paddles and buttons on them.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Yeah it should work well for a lot of games.  Midway games sometimes have additional buttons but most aren't necessary for gameplay.  I would look into some of the projects out there to convert sega wheels into directx wheels before I'd start swapping stuff out.  Other than that both thrustmaster and logitech make good wheels. 

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 01:51:33 pm
The wheel mounted on an original cab is way better than any PC wheel you can get (at least if you have not more than 1K euros to invest...). If you are going to end with an original cab and a pc wheel, leave the cab out of the equation directly ;)

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
Yeah it should work well for a lot of games.  Midway games sometimes have additional buttons but most aren't necessary for gameplay.  I would look into some of the projects out there to convert sega wheels into directx wheels before I'd start swapping stuff out.  Other than that both thrustmaster and logitech make good wheels.
It only has an up/down shifter, wouldn’t I need to swap that out for games like Daytona so that I can play manual?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
No, there is no need to replace the shifter: supermodel3 emulator supports sequential shifting. Model 2 emu does not, but there are utilities to "fix" that

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
No, there is no need to replace the shifter: supermodel3 emulator supports sequential shifting. Model 2 emu does not, but there are utilities to "fix" that
So it’s been a long time since I played Daytona, but I remember the skilled players would play manual and downshift to a very low gear to drift corners, does that still translate properly when doing it with just an up/down shifter.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
Oh well, from a pro point of view you have no other solutions other than a 4 positions shifter, but if you are a average to good player a seq shifter will work 100% ;)

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
Is the Initial D cabinet I posted the same design as Daytona?

It has to be stripped down, And I was thinking Daytona color scheme and decals would be nice.

Also, where were the speakers and sub generally placed, I see some seats have speakers in the head of the chair, could a non speaker chair be converted?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
I wouldn't spend all energies in converting an initial D to daytona. Speaker position, colors, plastics integrity and so on are only details. Start thinking how to interface your cabinet and learn how to have it working. You don't want to end with a nice looking but unplayable project.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
I wouldn't spend all energies in converting an initial D to daytona. Speaker position, colors, plastics integrity and so on are only details. Start thinking how to interface your cabinet and learn how to have it working. You don't want to end with a nice looking but unplayable project.

Ok I thought these Sega cabinets were all identical? Is that not the case?

So I figured painting the Daytona color scheme wouldn’t be that much additional work.

In terms of the controls I’m pretty much decided on

Start button, 4 views, coin in with real coin and coin reject.

G29 steering wheel/shifter/pedals, so that would give me paddles and buttons on the wheel for games that need it.

Shifter would be 4-way and hi/low compatible from what I read and have buttons.

Not sure where people are putting the exit button, I don’t see a need for pause on a racer.

Another consideration is using the dimensions of the Sega Cabinet posted in the driving cab thread, along with the Gozer Sketchup of Daytona 2 and have it built from the ground up to match Daytona.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 02:15:14 pm by Rockstead »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
The cabinets themselves are typically identical or very similar but their internals (wheel, dash bezel, shifter, ect) can be very different.  I think that cab is a good base.  I'd get it and tackle one problem at a time.