Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GPU tips for CRT Emudriver 2.0 + Demul + Model 2  (Read 2528 times)

littlemegagamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2023, 12:12:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GPU tips for CRT Emudriver 2.0 + Demul + Model 2
« on: December 15, 2020, 09:10:56 am »
Hi guys,

I would like to ask your recommendations for a GPU to use with Demul or Model 2 emulator,
and if I need to follow a different setup from the one that I did to install CRT Emudriver 2.0 and Groovymame following your guide. Do I need to install any further stuff like DirectX or similar? Thank you!

Currently, I use Groovymame running on Win10, i5 3.2GHz, AMD HD 4350 512Mb, and CRT Emudriver 2.0 beta 15 (Catalyst 12.6),
I tried to lunch Demul and I have got an error relates to the "GPUDX11", and an error relates to the "d3dx9_42.dll" trying to lunch Model 2.
After that I found your "CRT Emudriver 2.0 - Emulator compatibility list" and I got that I need to have an "AMD HD 5000+" to run those emulators. Could anyone confirm that and give me some tips? Thank you.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: GPU tips for CRT Emudriver 2.0 + Demul + Model 2
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:27:15 am »
Hi littlemegagamer,

Indeed, you need a card supporting DX 11 for Demul to work. But don't go for a basic HD 5000 series because it'll probably be too weak. Go for something newer, at least from the 7000 series. I can't give you an exact model, you'll probably need to google: demul crt emudriver site:http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

littlemegagamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 12:26:12 pm »
Hi Calamity, thanks for your tip, I have opened a topic as I couldn't find any good discussion about it around the web.

Once I get a good GPU, can I just follow the Groovymame and CRT Emudriver installation and that's it? Do I need to install anything else (like DirectX) or doing any specific settings? If I remember well the Naomi or Model 2 resolutions are already supported by the CRT Emudriver. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:34:37 pm by littlemegagamer »

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:45:26 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 03:29:41 pm »
Hi I use a hd7970 and an r9 380x. For me 7970 is better.

I use the 7970 on a 25khz config and I run model2 and model 3 @ 1024x384 @60khz  P and demul @640x384@60khz P

I use r9 380x on a 15khz-lcd multy monitor setup... I run demul and model2 model 3 on my 15khz crt @ 640x240p

littlemegagamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 05:03:33 pm »
Hi xbrunox, thanks for your comment.

Do I need to create customize modelines or doing particular settings for these emulators?
or It's fine just install the CRT Emudriver 2.0 and that's it (as I did for the Groovymame)?
Do I need to install any DirectX pack or similar?

Thanks

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 05:52:31 pm »
I'm on windows 7 I've installed all the direct and the visual runtime pack all in one. And I've installed the custom resolution 640x240@60 and 1024x384@60 with vmmaker

littlemegagamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 06:42:49 pm »
Thanks again xbrunox! It's more clear the things now to me... I might ask for some help to create the custom resolution once I get a new graphic card and star this new experiment...
Another question please, Did you install the direct and the visual run time pack before or after to install the CRT Emudriver? thanks

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 03:02:45 am »
Hi so..

I usually install CRT emudrivers and after direct X and visual runtime.

remeber some things:

Demul don't switch resolution before launch a rom and demul run at yours desktop res in full screen, so u must set desktop resolution before launch demul and for use these strange resolution and maint a correct 4:3 aspect ratio u must enable stretch options

supermodel can switch resolution before launch a game but for 4:3 aspect u must enable stretch options

model2 emulator can swicth resolution before launch a game but unfortunally don't have a stretch options so... for use these resolution u must set 640x480 res in model2 ini setting file. set desktop resolution at example (640x240) and use a directx wrapper like DXWND or dgvodoo for a correct 4:3 aspect ratio.

two last things:

remember that supermodel run very slow with adrenalyn crt emudrivers u must use crimson beta 15 version.
and remember that if u want after crt emudrivers installation u can instll only CCC ATI options for example enable vsync, enable antialias or overclock a bit yours ati card. (there's a topic here)

at the end..... if for u interlace fliker is not a problem u can run all these emulators @ 640x480 I at 15khz!

littlemegagamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 04:40:31 am »
Thank you very much xbunox, you are very good!

..I can't wait to start this new experience.. and I will try to follow all your recommendations... thanks
I don't know about the interlace flicker and of course, I would like to get the pixel-perfect even with these emulators, but hopefully, they will run fine even just at 640x480@15khz that more/less is close to the native resolution of these games... than I will be probably just so happy to see all these retro games on a CRT! thanks

littlemegagamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 09:18:24 am »
Xbrunox,

just some update and a few questions for you (thanks):
I have installed the Visual C++ pack and the DirectX9 (I cannot install the 11 with my current graphic card) and I was able to run the Model 2 and Demul with my poor HD 4350 512mb (yeah!). I tried a few games on Model 2 and it seems all fine (unbelievable). I could run Demul just using the DX11old plugin but run very slow (like 30fps). I set the desktop 680x240 in both cases as you suggested.

Considering keeping the current hardware of my old PC, the best graphic card that I could install is an HD 6850 1Gb (probably), so do you think will be enough for Demul?
I found an old post where you suggest to install Demul on a RamDisk, do you still suggest it? If yes, do I have to create a RamDisk for the whole Demul folder or I could keep the "roms" folder on the normal HardDisk?

Thanks

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 04:06:42 pm »
Personally I've 16 gb ram...

My demul and my dolphin too are on ramdisk because they use schache and the access is very fast.

littlemegagamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 04:17:06 am »
Thanks for your reply xbrunox,

Sorry, I didn't get if you have installed Demul with its all roms library into your Ramdisk or just Demul software that picks the roms from a normal disk. Have you got 60fps solid with Demul?

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 05:00:19 am »
SO..

my demul roms are in my c:\demulroms

and my demul install with scache dir is in my d:\ that is my ramdisk.

littlemegagamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 07:13:56 am »
understood thanks ...