Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver 2.0 - Laptop to CRT TV troubleshooting - PLS HELP!  (Read 6297 times)

RikkTheGaijin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2023, 08:44:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello everyone, I registered to this forum just to ask for your help.
I am a complete noob, but I tried my best to follow the setup guide from Calamity on how to connect my PC to a CRT TV with CRT Emudriver.
But unfortunately I have ran into some issue. Instead of writing a long post, I decided to record a video to show my problem.
I apologize for the poor video quality.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:22:33 am by RikkTheGaijin »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: CRT Emudriver 2.0 - Laptop to CRT TV troubleshooting - PLS HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:18:51 am »
Hi RikkTheGaijin,

I'm afraid that TV doesn't have the required RGB inputs for CRT Emudriver to work. Those are RCA composite inputs. The cable you have isn't valid either, I'm aware these are sold in the internet but I believe they're thought for cards or hardware that are able to output composite signals through a VGA connector.

CRT Emudriver only works through RGB signals/connectors. Alternatively, TVs with component (NOT composite) connectors can take RGB through a transcoder box, which is equivalent to RGB in quality.

With regards to the laptop, definitely seems to be compatible with CRT Emudriver, it's working. Unfortunately signal is not compatible with the cable.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:18:03 pm »
Thank you for the reply Calamity.
So the TV is the problem here (and consequentially, the cable).

Well, right now I don't have access to any other CRT TV (I got this one for only $5 so I thought I'd give it a shot).
At this point my only option with this TV is to stick with the HDMI>RCA converter that I have. I know it will output 640x480@60Hz, but at least with that I can play on the TV.

I'll try to get hold of a TV with Component input, since the Laptop I have is compatible with CRT Emudriver.
AFAIK only PVM/BVM have RGB input, and those are hard to find at a cheap price.

What consumer TV (with component) would be recommended?

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 12:55:42 am »
I have one more question.
Most Japanese TVs (I live in Japan) have a connector called D-Terminal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Terminal).
Looking at the schematics, it seems like it's similar to Component..? It is, in fact, labeled as Component Input.
From my research, it seems its pretty rare to find the Blue, Red, Green Component connector in Japanese TVs, only an handful of high-end TVs had that.
If I get a VGA>YPbPr cable, and connect it to a YPbPr>D-Terminal, would that work with CRT Emudriver?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 01:23:22 am by RikkTheGaijin »

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 01:25:24 am »
UPDATE: I managed to find a 15 inches TV that has Component YCbCr Input (NOT YPbPr). It will arrive in few days.

In the meantime, I thought I would search for the correct way to connect the Laptop to that TV.
I thought I would just order something like this:

But then I stumbled upon an old message board, where one user wrote this:
A simple cable won't work because computers output RGB colorspace (one channel for each Red/Green/Blue), while 99.99% of consumer TVs Component inputs expect YPbPr (one channel each for Luminance/Red difference/Blue difference).

Calamity was talking about an RGB Transcoder box, but what's that? Can you give me any link?
Also, YCbCr and YPbPr are not the same? One is digital and one is analog, so does it means it won't work with CRT Emudriver?

Can someone please help me figuring out what do I need?  :-[

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 10:53:07 am »
Hi RikkTheGaijin,

I don't have much experience with compenent video because I live in the SCART side of the world.

Consider starting here: https://www.retrorgb.com/converters.html

Pull that thread and see where it takes you. I'd try to use that D1 connector, with a cable like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410327-REG/Canon_0976B001_D_Terminal_to_Component_Video.html
(not sure if it's bidirectional though)

In the middle, you'll have the transcoder. On the other side, you'll have RGB. But you still need to convert VGA to SCART, since the transcoders above all seem to take SCART rather than VGA. That's probably the easiest part, but you'll need a custom cable or a specific device like this: https://www.arcadexpress.com/es/convertidores-de-video/292-1977-umsa-adaptador-vga-a-scart-15khz.html

Unless you find I direct VGA->component transcoder (let's see if someone else can help here better than me).
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 07:33:03 pm »
Thank you Calamity.
It looks like the most difficult part will be to find a transcoder, because from my research there is nothing easily available on the market (I did find one but it was $300, so no thanks)
So you confirm that YCbCr will not work because its not YPbPr?
I will try with the D-Terminal and see what I can do.

Anyone else have a link to a VGA to Component Transcoder?

hearttinker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2021, 07:16:03 am

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 12:41:26 am »
https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/rgb2comp
or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001346945702.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.68744c4dUe8oJI

Additionaly, you should make h, v sync to c sync, but it will be easy.

Thank you hearttinker for your reply.
I'm looking at the AlieExpress link, and that looks it accepts RGB Input and converts it into YCbCr Output.
I'm confused, isn't YCbCr Digital?
Also what do you mean with "you should make h, v sync to c sync"?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 01:02:54 am »
So you confirm that YCbCr will not work because its not YPbPr?

YCbCr is just the digital version of YPbPr, which is an analogue standard. They are the same yet different, and unfortunately the terms get used interchangeably a lot.

The "Retroscaler" (Aliexpress link) actually puts out YPbPr, the label on the jacks is incorrect. It isn't that big a deal though.

Neither that one nor the Retrotink one will generate their own composite sync. They expect a composite signal through the SCART input.

It is possible to get CRTEMU to output composite sync via the driver, so that is an option.

For connections - if you use the UMSA that Calamity linked to earlier, it has a good rep and I believe that it both generates composite sync AND gives you a VGA-SCART connection. You'd still need VGA-VGA and SCART-SCART cables though.

Instead of those 2 cables and UMSA, you could make or buy a VGA-SCART cable. To buy, better ones cost about the same as the UMSA. I make my own because when I got into this hobby over long ago there was no other choices! You can get them on ebay etc now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Vga-a-RGB-Scart-Audio-15khz-Euroconector-Arcadevga-Jamma-MAME/253144420758?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Most of even the better VGA-SCART cables give "composite sync" by just twisting H&V wires (VGA13+14) together, then running that smushy signal through a resistor to bring the sync from TTL to CMOS levels. This isn't normally something to worry about - "smushy" sync isn't perfect but usually good enough for most PC to TV applications. Having said all that some people do make VGA-SCART cables that generate proper composite sync on the fly with PCBs built into the head, but that is advanced stuff. 

Anyone else have a link to a VGA to Component Transcoder?

I'm going to post some very exciting news on that soon, around New Year, if you can hold on that long  ::) It'd be something to save you all the headaches I just talked about above.
Check out my completed projects!

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 03:52:16 am »
Thank you Zebidee for your reply.
Your post was a bit technical, I'll try to grasp what I can.

As I mentioned earlier, I live in Japan, so no SCART here (or at least it's uncommon)
Unfortunately I am unable to purchase these kind of electronics from Europe (most places don't ship to Japan)

Right now I have ordered the one from Aliexpress, it will take few weeks to arrive tho (usually it takes 10-20 days for the merch to arrive, but it's holiday season, so it might take longer)

Once I get it, I plan to use this cable from the Laptop VGA port:

into the INPUT of the converter box here:

And then using this cable:

from the box output:

into the D1 Component port of my TV:

If the D1 doesn't work, I will try the YCbCr connectors with this cable:

If all of this fails, I will probably give up. :(
You mentioned that even without a SCART, CRT Emudriver can output the sync, is that right?

Also, I'm curious about your product (you said you'll announce it around end of the year). I am very interested, as long as its not too expensive and it can be sent to Japan.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:42:11 am by RikkTheGaijin »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 07:33:17 am »
Your setup with those cables and the transcoder should work for colour-space conversion. I can't vouch for the transcoder as such, but I understand its design and yes it should work.

Unfortunately the problem you're going to have with that arrangement is sync - the first cable you showed (VGA-RGB) doesn't do anything with sync out from your PC, so you should get a picture but flickering in/out as TV can't get any sync signal. It depends a bit on your TV - sometimes it might seem to sync in for a bit, then lose it.

I can confirm that we (it is a collaborative effort with a friend in Australia) are planning to release a VGA/RGB-component transcoder soon which will make current options obsolete, oversized and/or overpriced. it'll do everything you need and only require standard cables that are available everywhere cheaply (VGA-VGA, component-component + USB or other for 5v power). I am just waiting for the new PCBs to arrive so I can build final prototype/demonstration model, something worthy of pictures. It is designed with consoles/PC/SCART/CRTEMU in mind but should work with almost any analogue RGB input.

If you are interested and can wait a couple of weeks, you could be one of the first users and maybe be able to test/review it, show some pics of it in action? PM if interested.

The good news is that you'll be able to use some of those component cables you bought (the component-D1 and the component-component you showed) to connect it to your TV.

I'd like to go on more, but had better wait until I have something to show.

hearttinker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2021, 07:16:03 am
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 03:53:14 pm »
RikkTheGaijin, Your plan should be revised.

YOU MUST USE RGBs CABLE to connect transcoder which I linked.

SCART is not used in Japan. I know well.
RGB21 will be familiar to you.
RGB21 is other type of RGBs connector similar with SCART

Video signal from your PC is RGBhv.
You should make RGBhv signal to RGBs.

There are various options you can choose.

1. VGA-to-5BNC cable or VGA-to-5RCA cable.
In these cables, 3 lines are RGB and 2 lines are h v sync.
You should make h v lines to c sync (s in RGBs) line.
Use 74HC08 IC chip.
Very easy and do not need 5V line.

2. Buy VGA-to-scart cable.
In this case, You must check sync type.

I recommend choice 1.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:57:31 pm by hearttinker »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 05:15:57 pm »
RikkTheGaijin, Your plan should be revised.
1. VGA-to-5BNC cable or VGA-to-5RCA cable.
In these cables, 3 lines are RGB and 2 lines are h v sync.
You should make h v lines to c sync (s in RGBs) line.
Use 74HC08 IC chip.
Very easy and do not need 5V line.

hearttinker, I suspect that is beyond Rikk's capabilities, and you haven't even provided a circuit diagram! In any case not ideal because that IC uses AND logic gates. Main problem with AND logic derived csync is that it will lose H sync pulses during the vertical sync period, meaning that some TVs will lose horizontal lock. Some TVs will be fine, some will get a funny zig-zag at top of screen, some will flicker, some might not work at all.

Rikk would probably be better off just twisting H&V together and soldering a 1k resistor on the end, then feeding that in with an RCA plug. It would most likely work "OK", but if it doesn't then low investment involved. Note that although the Retroscaler doesn't generate its own csync, at least it uses a lm1881M IC (I think) to "strip & clean" the sync, which will tidy it up a bit.

However, in my opinion, *best option* is to wait a couple of weeks and get a VGA-component transcoder from me. It will deliver better quality, clearer signal and colours. It will be a game-changer for people that want to use component TVs for retrogaming. It'll just plug in and work as it generates the composite sync using onboard XNOR logic (superior) directly. It will give component video comparable to RGB in quality.

EDIT: Looks like my PCBs will arrive today or tomorrow so the VGA-component transcoder will be available very soon
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 05:24:31 pm by Zebidee »

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 08:23:22 pm »
Thank you for Zebidee and hearttinker
Like I mentioned, I am a noob and I do not have any knowledge of electronics behind what's commercially available.
Since I have already purchased a bunch of cables and that Aliexpress converter, I will give them a shot.

I am very interested in Zebidee product, and I would be honored to test it out.
I am sending Zebidee a PM, like he asked.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:30:49 pm by RikkTheGaijin »

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 09:56:40 pm »
Hello, just a quick update.

I have received the converter from Aliexpress suggested by hearttinker.
Well, like Zebidee said, I get an image on screen but no synch... :banghead:

I have tried clicking on the "Enable Composite Sync" from Video Mode Maker control panel, but it does absolutely nothing.
Why aren't the CRT Emudrivers taking care of the synch? :banghead:

I did purchased the GreenAntz transcoder from Zebedee, but it seems the package is lost in Bangkok, no idea when or if I will receive it.  :'( :'( :'(

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 10:19:58 pm »
As last resort I have ordered this VGA to 5RCA cable with adapters, and see if makes any difference...  :-\

This one should have the Sync connector and I will plug it in the Sync-In port of the Aliexpress converter...

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 04:55:13 am »
I have received the converter from Aliexpress suggested by hearttinker.
Well, like Zebidee said, I get an image on screen but no synch... :banghead:

I have tried clicking on the "Enable Composite Sync" from Video Mode Maker control panel, but it does absolutely nothing.
Why aren't the CRT Emudrivers taking care of the synch? :banghead:

The main problem is the there is absolutely no sync connection at all from PC to the Retroscaler. There is physically no connection. CRTEMU composite sync comes out on VGA pin 13 (otherwise used for H sync). The cable you have only connects VGA pins 1,2,3 (RED, GREEN, BLUE) and ground, nothing else. So there is no way to get sync as there is no connection, no cable to carry the signal.

I did purchased the GreenAntz transcoder from Zebedee, but it seems the package is lost in Bangkok, no idea when or if I will receive it.  :'( :'( :'(

In addition to New Year holidays and other madness, Bangkok was (is) under lockdown due to a COVID 2nd wave. Goods and parcel traffic slowed to a virtual standstill over New Year. The pipelines are moving again fortunately, which you and a few others waiting for their GreenAntz will be glad to hear.

Rikk, your GreenAntz is definitely on its way to you now 8)  I PM'd you some more details.

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 09:26:39 pm »
UPDATE: IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The VGA>5RCA Cable works flawlessly! I have connected the RGB+H, and then used the drivers to do the V sync, and it works perfectly!

I can't believe how good it looks! (as you all know the photos don't look good, but in person is incredible)

Now, since I have purchased Zebidee's GreenAntz converter, I will do a comparison once I receive it, although I think it will probably look the same, since this is already the highest quality possible, but its good to have something to compare it with.

For now tho, I'm super happy! After spending over a month doing research, and buying all sorts of useless crap, now I finally have it working. ;D

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
I noticed from the posted info screen you were running SFIII in 640x480i. You can make it look better with CRTEMU settings (so Groovymame/switchres can select a more appropriate video mode or super resolution in say 240p). That just comes down to your setup using VMMaker and mame.ini, which is mostly covered with the stickied posts and guides.

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
I noticed from the posted info screen you were running SFIII in 640x480i. You can make it look better with CRTEMU settings (so Groovymame/switchres can select a more appropriate video mode or super resolution in say 240p). That just comes down to your setup using VMMaker and mame.ini, which is mostly covered with the stickied posts and guides.

I'm not quite sure to understand what you mean, do I need to regenerate the resolution list? I did it when I installed CRT Emudrivers the first time, was that wrong? I followed a guide on the CRT Emudriver officila forum, but now its on Mantainance I cannot check it  :(
Can you elaborate on what I need to do?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
You can see what modes are installed with ArcadeOSD, which comes with VMMaker. You would expect to see some low-res arcade modes with 240 - 288 vertical lines.

When you run VMMaker, click on "Edit Settings" and it brings up a window and you get to choose a monitor preset at the first tab. Choose say "Generic 15.7khz" if you think TV can do either PAL or NTSC, or "NTSC" if you want to be conservative, not sure what your TV can do. For now, it doesn't really matter which.

Go to the last tab and make sure to tick the box "Export monitor settings to Groovymame" and use the browse window button to locate your Groovymame executable.

Click OK and the window will disappear, and you'll be back in VMMaker's command line - style window. You'll see a message above the cursor saying "exporting settings to mame.ini" - that is VMMaker directly editing the mame.ini file, telling Groovymame what it thinks your TV can do! This is based on the monitor presets you chose earlier, and a few other options in VMMaker.

At this point you can choose to re-generate your video modes and then install them using the buttons at the top. If your monitor preset is the same and you are happy with the modes then you don't need to. But if you've changed settings then probably a good idea to reinstall, otherwise Groovymame and switchres will be working on the wrong information.

Then run your game in Groovymame. Hopefully it chooses a better resolution. If problems persist, you can try running Groovymame from command line and generate and post a game.txt log. Follow instructions in the footer to all of Calamity's posts.

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
I've done all that, and now I have everything screwed up  :banghead:
First, now Windows resizes to a ridiculously small resolution, I can't even see the windows...
I managed to run Mame, and now it starts like this...

If I try to run any games, I get this:

How do I fix it? It was perfect before....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:03:59 am by RikkTheGaijin »

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
Ok I managed to make it going back as it was before.
The resolution is now again 640x480i
Honestly I don't notice any difference... Is there a way to force the game to run at a specific resolution?

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 07:27:22 am »
@Calamity, I have attached the .txt, can you see if there is any problem?
Why can't I run the games at the correct resolution?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 07:50:21 am »
You don't have any modes available for GM to pick except the one that's enabled in the desktop (640x480i). That's the problem.

You need to install some modes:

- VMMaker->Settings->Video Card->Device drop-down menu: make sure it points to the correct output
- VMMaker->Settings->User modes->Get video modes from user list->Browse and select "user_modes - super.ini"
- Generate modes
- Install modes
- Run GM
Steps to create a log:

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 08:01:42 am »
That's already exactly as I have it

When I generate the modes it generates 120 modes, and then I install them.
The only thing I can think of is that the "user_modes - super.ini" is not in the Mame folder, but in the folder where I downloaded it. Is that a problem? Does it needs to be in a specific folder?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:10:16 am by RikkTheGaijin »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 08:10:34 am »
Have you clicked the "export monitor settings to groovymame" box on the 4th tab in VMMaker, and selected/browsed to your groovymameXX.exe file?

EDIT: I see that you have in your screenshot
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:14:12 am by Zebidee »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 08:12:58 am »
DO NOT check the box "Get video modes from MAME XML"

Nor "Generate XML from MAME executable"

DO NOT Check the box "Add modes from mode list" in the EDID emulation dialog (I regret having implemented that option)
Steps to create a log:

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 08:24:11 am »
DO NOT check the box "Get video modes from MAME XML"

Nor "Generate XML from MAME executable"

DO NOT Check the box "Add modes from mode list" in the EDID emulation dialog (I regret having implemented that option)

Ok I have unchecked those, and regenerated the modes.
Now it only generated 15 modes:

And when I start a game (lets use SF3) it goes like this (on the TV is stretched, and it says 2560x240p

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 08:36:17 am »
I forgot to uncheck "Add modes from mode list" in the EDID emulation dialog.

Now I'm back to this:

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 08:50:50 am »
I found on another website that they recommend to disable AMD External Events Utility so I did it, but nothing seems to change.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 09:16:39 am »
15 modes, that's perfect.

You're not cloning the desktop, are you? You must never clone the desktop.

EDIT: by the way, after you touched the EDID emulation box, you need to repeat the process of generating and installing the video modes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:24:23 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 09:41:01 am »
You're not cloning the desktop, are you? You must never clone the desktop.

I am using virtual desktop on another PC, I thought it was a smart thing to do in case the display went south..
Even if I don't use the virtual desktop, the game starts again at: 2560x240p

Is this correct?  ???
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:42:34 am by RikkTheGaijin »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 09:44:13 am »
Now it's correct (your last pick)
Steps to create a log:

RikkTheGaijin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2021, 09:45:38 am »
In any case, I must clarify that once the game starts, it looks perfect, no matter what resolution it says at the beginning.
I cannot perceive any difference whatsoever between the different resolutions. It looks like despite what the emu screen says, the game runs at pixel-perfect resolution...?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 09:49:28 am »
Super resolutions, that's what they're called.

Compared to your previous 480i, it'll look sharper, with clear scanlines and no flicker.
Steps to create a log: