Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1Up Video Marquee.  (Read 3157 times)

Vocalitus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
1Up Video Marquee.
« on: December 02, 2020, 05:07:02 pm »
I checked on Amazon and I am on the fence on getting this display.  Its cheap enough but the is a bit too dorky of a look.

Has anyone tried anything similar?  Yes I know its a bit small.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: 1Up Video Marquee.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 01:10:13 pm »
I checked on Amazon

IF you are not in a hurry to get it they are much cheaper from Aliexpress ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001704210802.html ) Same kit as amazon but $64 instead of Amazon's $116 !! Mine took about 2-3 weeks to get here from China so definitely worth the wait for the savings !

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 02:45:34 pm »
Ok my question would be why not just get a cheapo tv at walmart that's actually the proper width?  Yes it would be too tall, but it could be framed in such a way that it looks like a marquee with a topper on it and the artwork could be adjusted to match.  I saw a 24 inch for $99 the other day... that's almost wide enough for a full sized cab.  If I get time this evening I'll photoshop a little pic so you know what I'm talking about. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 07:16:15 pm »
Ok my question would be why not just get a cheapo tv at walmart that's actually the proper width?  Yes it would be too tall, but it could be framed in such a way that it looks like a marquee with a topper on it and the artwork could be adjusted to match.  I saw a 24 inch for $99 the other day... that's almost wide enough for a full sized cab.  If I get time this evening I'll photoshop a little pic so you know what I'm talking about.

24" would be too wide and tall - figure a 24" TV is about 13.5" tall while the A1U cab marquee is just over 5" - so would be a fairly tall topper - but the main problem would be the A1U cab is only around 18" wide ( 19" if you count the 2 1/2 side panel width)  and a 24" TV would be about 22" wide ( 22" TV is still too wide at 20" as well)  which wouldn't fit inside the marquee area - so would have to hang off the front of the cab as well unless you widen the cab.

Vocalitus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 10:30:16 pm »
I checked on Amazon

IF you are not in a hurry to get it they are much cheaper from Aliexpress ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001704210802.html ) Same kit as amazon but $64 instead of Amazon's $116 !! Mine took about 2-3 weeks to get here from China so definitely worth the wait for the savings !

Hi, 

I would but my luck isn't very good this year (I bet I am not alone) and returns to China vs Amazon....Well I have a quicker turn around if things go south.

I like what Howard says about putting a monitor up on the marquee area as the current mod slightly does this with the frame on, so I had a thought.

What if I bought one of these and use one of those magic wall hangers or cleat to attach on the front of the cabinet.  You can made it modular by placing a USB 3 extender.

It would be cheaper and fit better than something else that looks somewhat funky and costs nearly double.  Dimensions: 14.56 x 8.63 x 0.87 inches 3.5 inches surplus (its doable).

Windows thinks it is a second monitor.  But some of you will say:  "this is for text only".  USB 3 models can do basic animation, and no FPS gaming.   

I wonder if you could match the game art as a border on the display and have the marquee sit in the middle of the screen.

Thanks Howard, I'm getting one and see if it will work.  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:06:48 pm »

24" would be too wide and tall - figure a 24" TV is about 13.5" tall while the A1U cab marquee is just over 5" - so would be a fairly tall topper - but the main problem would be the A1U cab is only around 18" wide ( 19" if you count the 2 1/2 side panel width)  and a 24" TV would be about 22" wide ( 22" TV is still too wide at 20" as well)  which wouldn't fit inside the marquee area - so would have to hang off the front of the cab as well unless you widen the cab.

Lol they come in other sizes.  Also modding an arcade1up is polishing a turd.... if you are willing to spend 100 on a marquee first you should, you know, build a real cabinet to put it in.  Also I'm pretty sure I said the dimensions won't be correct and I explained how to use that to your advantage.