Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY microswitch foot pedal  (Read 2994 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
DIY microswitch foot pedal
« on: December 02, 2020, 11:50:20 am »
I got this idea from a YouTube video for using folding cupholders as pedals and it works well.

There are a bunch of these on Amazon, but here is the product I used (not affiliate): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDQR4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't find the original video, but I'll update if I find it.

The springs are C-702 9/16 x 1 x .054 Utility Comp Spring sold in pairs for a couple of bucks at my local hardware store.

You could use this pedal as a free floating device. The original YouTube video did that. He was demonstrating Pole Position with a Spintrak wheel attachment and just showed the pedal for a few seconds as an aside.

I attached the microswitch by threading 2 zip ties, attached to each other, through the bottom of the cup holder and the lower hole in the switch. I suppose that you could use a glob of slicone adhesive, if you're worried about stability, but I haven't had any issues.

The foot pedal works well for Time Crisis, games like Forgotten Worlds if you don't have a push spinner, and of course arcade racing games, many of which used digital pedals. It's not the greatest for games that require rapid button presses, but using the pedal for firing works fine if you don't have a better option for Tron, Assault, or other trigger stick or top fire joystick games where you can't easily reach a normal button.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 01:19:11 pm by KenToad »

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: DIY microswitch foot pedal
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:35:19 pm »
Curious, Did you hot glue the micro switch or can it move around? Are you using these as accel/brake pedals? Neat idea :cheers:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 01:20:05 pm »
Curious, Did you hot glue the micro switch or can it move around? Are you using these as accel/brake pedals? Neat idea :cheers:

Thanks! I updated the first post with the answers to your questions.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 01:37:37 pm »
Thanks for your build description Ken. Seems like an easy solution for a quick pedal.

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:54:36 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »
I found myself an old PC Pedal, just connected the ipac/keys to the POTS and also added a shorty Leaf Switch/Button.

It's removable just a quick ps2/connection cable.

Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 03:23:53 pm »
I found myself an old PC Pedal, just connected the ipac/keys to the POTS and also added a shorty Leaf Switch/Button.

It's removable just a quick ps2/connection cable.

That's pretty cool. You just have the POTS connected to digital keypresses?

I wonder how easily the other foot pedal you linked to on Amazon could be hacked to connect to a keyboard encoder?

Thenasty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 04:11:06 pm »
if you see the product in amazon, it states its only a momentary switch. It is a microswitch with  NO NC connectors.

No need to hack this one. Just connect the wires.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 04:14:12 pm by Thenasty »

Free VGA Breakout Cable

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 04:24:01 pm »
When using digital inputs in place of analog ones, there are tweaks available under the analog controls section in MAME's in-game menu (TAB) that can improve the gameplay.

For example in Pole Position:
Map the pedal switch to Pedal INC
(do not map the analog input)

Then under analog controls:
Digital Speed affects how fast the virtual pedal depresses after you trigger the switch in your pedal.  Adjust it so the tires do not spin or else you will not get far in Pole Position.
Auto Center Speed affects how fast the virtual pedal goes back to not being pressed when you let off the switch in your pedal.

Tinkering with these, you can keep the virtual analog control in a certain range by tapping the digital control.  (example: keeping the car in Cruisin USA turned slightly right by tapping the joystick right in a steady rhythm.
Once upon a time I had planned to see how many analog games I could get playing well on a standard joystick cab, but I never got around to it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 04:35:33 pm »
if you see the product in amazon, it states its only a momentary switch. It is a microswitch with  NO NC connectors.

I hacked a sewing machine pedal that had a similar looking wiring scheme and was simply a microswitch pedal, but the wires didn't connect directly to the microswitch. There was a small pcb in there, so it wasn't as easy as it should have been. I ended up having to throw out the old guts and use my own microswitch. I'm guessing that this is similarly put together, but I'm not sure, obviously. Also, I didn't fully understand how the pcb worked. If you know how these things work, then maybe it's easy, but I doubt it's as easy as just wiring up the included wires to a keyboard encoder. You'd at least have to open it up and make sure that there isn't some other nonsense going on in there. Still, it could be an even better option than my cupholders.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 04:37:34 pm by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 04:39:43 pm »
When using digital inputs in place of analog ones, there are tweaks available under the analog controls section in MAME's in-game menu (TAB) that can improve the gameplay.

For example in Pole Position:
Map the pedal switch to Pedal INC
(do not map the analog input)

Then under analog controls:
Digital Speed affects how fast the virtual pedal depresses after you trigger the switch in your pedal.  Adjust it so the tires do not spin or else you will not get far in Pole Position.
Auto Center Speed affects how fast the virtual pedal goes back to not being pressed when you let off the switch in your pedal.

Tinkering with these, you can keep the virtual analog control in a certain range by tapping the digital control.  (example: keeping the car in Cruisin USA turned slightly right by tapping the joystick right in a steady rhythm.
Once upon a time I had planned to see how many analog games I could get playing well on a standard joystick cab, but I never got around to it.

This is great advice. Thanks!

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 05:07:21 pm »
Wow, I second that. Thanks Badmouth, will have to check that out!

Thenasty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 05:56:51 pm »

I hacked a sewing machine pedal that had a similar looking wiring scheme and was simply a microswitch pedal, but the wires didn't connect directly to the microswitch. There was a small pcb in there, so it wasn't as easy as it should have been. I ended up having to throw out the old guts and use my own microswitch. I'm guessing that this is similarly put together, but I'm not sure, obviously. Also, I didn't fully understand how the pcb worked. If you know how these things work, then maybe it's easy, but I doubt it's as easy as just wiring up the included wires to a keyboard encoder. You'd at least have to open it up and make sure that there isn't some other nonsense going on in there. Still, it could be an even better option than my cupholders.  :cheers:

It states is a MOMENTARY SWITCH and it even has NO & NC

Just like the switch you used (it's MOMENTARY), it has NO NC connections and all your ARCADE BUTTONS are all MOMENTARY switch.

I don't know it it's hook up to NC but probably not.
It's probably default to NO connection.

Easy check with a multimeter.

Free VGA Breakout Cable

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 04:32:01 pm »

It states is a MOMENTARY SWITCH and it even has NO & NC

Just like the switch you used (it's MOMENTARY), it has NO NC connections and all your ARCADE BUTTONS are all MOMENTARY switch.

I don't know it it's hook up to NC but probably not.
It's probably default to NO connection.

Easy check with a multimeter.

The sewing pedal I used had a momentary swich inside, although a very cheap looking one and, like I said, the wires didn't connect directly to the switch, but rather through a PCB. I couldn't tell what was going on in there (probably should buy a multimeter one of these days), so I threw out the wired stuff and just wired up my own switch in there.

If anybody has hooked the above linked "industrial controller" foot pedal or a similar pedal up to a keyboard encoder, please report if it was as easy as wiring up the included connections to your keyboard encoder. It could be a better solution, although I think the form factor is a little small.

I appreciate your input on this thread, Thenasty.  :cheers: