Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to achieve this aesthetic??  (Read 4997 times)

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How to achieve this aesthetic??
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:16:02 am »
Hey everyone, hope you're all keeping well.

I am finishing up some stuff on my cabinet and now dealing with things I put off for too long, and want to see if anyone had some suggestions for what I am trying to do.

I want to make a panel to top my control panel that looks like the old Taito Space Invaders Cocktails... The silver/metal plate with black anodizing or paint:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images4/1/0616/07/1979-taito-space-invaders-japanese_1_0b201ea27bc2163480c6a2178f915c24.jpg

Apologies if against rules for posting that link. But it shows what I am after.

Originally was considering just a rear mounted print using black and silver on a piece of plexiglass. Thought about a transparent overlay on top of a metal panel. Someone suggested a vinyl stencil, and use paint but I fear it will be too delicate even with clear, and the fine details will be hard to make out.

I know a guy on another forum sold anodized replicas of the SI panel, and it wasn't cheap to get done, so it's likely not gonna be an option for me. Tho it would be nice. Maybe it can be DIY'd but it seems like a lot of learning etc to perfect.

Needless to say, I am at an impasse and there are lots of great ideas born here... was hoping for some inspiration or coaching.

TL:DR - am looking to do a control panel that has a look similar to the Taito Space Invaders Cocktail cabs without going to too much extreme.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: How to achieve this aesthetic??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 12:39:24 pm »
The link is showing "forbidden". Can you post the image here?
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:44:14 pm »
Is it this one?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 12:50:57 pm »
Worst case scenario you could get a CPO printed at GameonGrafix (or wherever) with some some shinies added via photoshop. It doesn't truly capture metal... but its inexpensive and evocative of what you want while still being durable.

I can think of some paint applications as well, but none would really look much better and certainly wouldn't be as simple to achieve.

if I were you...  if a vinyl-ish cpo isn't close enough, I'd consider dropping the $$$ on exactly what you want  and get it custom done.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 12:56:40 pm »
The two images attached  remind me of the look you're going for... a bit. The original space encounters panel was aluminum with screen printing. I made an alternate panel that captures the same look. Itmixes the use of silver paint and vinyl CPO. Sometimes I forget its not the original part

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 03:44:37 pm »
Sorry for the bad link... But that photo is it.

My control panel as it stands is made of MDF and my plan was to either top mount my sticks just below the surface in the wood itself and then have a larger cutout for the button area, and mount snap in Sanwas into the panel of metal/plexi. If I used metal, I suppose I could also mount my sticks on the panel too. Then the panel would just go on-top of the wooden CP base I have now. I apologize if my explaining is terrible.

I think the vinyl over the aluminum you replicated looks good and that will definitely be my backup plan. I just feel like given the overall look of the cab, going too synthetic or modern with a black and silver would come off looking like the Vewlix Control panels. Not a terrible thing, but like the old aesthetic and rounded corners etc.

As you said, if I want it to be perfect then the expensive way may be only way.