Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: IPAC vs Zero Delay  (Read 5188 times)

Drakkorcia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 02:37:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
IPAC vs Zero Delay
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:31:26 pm »
I have built several cabinets using zero delay encoders, the simple Sanwa style or .187 2 pin plug and play encoders and they have always worked great. With 12 buttons and the 4 plugs for each joystick direction per encoder, I would always just run two encoders; one for player 1 and the other for player 2. These days trackballs, spinners and flightsticks are USB so I am trying to learn about IPAC. What is the purpose of these more complex encoders that require more wiring, splicing, etc instead of just connecting a spade connector to a button and plugging a 2 pin connector into a zero delay?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: IPAC vs Zero Delay
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 04:18:02 am »
You will get responses all across the spectrum on this, and in particular instances, everyone is right  >:D

Lag discussions aside...

The zero delay boards only understand keystroke inputs (like what a regular old microswitch joystick and buttons will produce) so for a basic joystick/button panel they are adequate.

Interface boards from Ultimarc and GroovyGameGear for instance can convert the output from trackballs, spinners, potentiometer driven controls like analog joysticks and pedals, hall effect sensor joysticks, etc. into input that your PC or Raspberry Pi can understand.

These are things a zero delay board cannot do.

I can't speak to the actual speed/accuracy of Zero Delay boards and some of this depends on what you use for a computer and display anyway.

The zero delay and cheap joystick I bought for my first controls for my first control panel prototype were a horrible experience for me.
I abandoned those immediately for Ultimarc products and have been very happy with the results ever since.

Not only have the I-PAC2, Mini-PAC and U-HID I bought been problem-free, support from Andy (especially if you can ask very specific questions) has been stellar right on through and for what they are capable of, they are really easy to set up.

If you want to choose the right interface then you need to first decide exactly what you want to build for a control panel, i.e. what types of controls you want to use.

Exceptions would be a U-HID board or Arduino, because those can be programmed to mimic pretty much anything.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Drakkorcia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 02:37:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: IPAC vs Zero Delay
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 05:22:35 am »
Thanks, that was very helpful.