Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Force will not auto power on  (Read 6618 times)

gavinlew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:25:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Force will not auto power on
« on: November 25, 2020, 05:04:00 pm »
Hi

Ive picked up a Megatouch Force 2005 which I cannot get to power-on ; I suspect the PSU, but the red LED on the motherboard lights up as soon as power is plugged in.

The cabinet light also lights up immediately (I can see its fed separately and not from the power supply).

There was a similar thread which describes the same problem but with no solution ,  I do have another PSU on the way (20pin) but wondered if I could try anything else.

Many Thanks

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Megatouch Force will not auto power on
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 11:28:22 pm »
peel out motherboard so you can get at it...

short these pins together.... also, replace your bios battery and load the default settings in there.

(i believe this is the right motherboard.... i have a lot of pictures of motherboards... if not it's similar...just jump the power on position)

gavinlew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:25:16 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 01:21:37 pm »
Thanks,

I havent pulled the board yet, I just pulled a tangled up cable going under the Mobo and up to the IO board and cleaned up a few things, now its alive!

The LCD panel took a while to come into life and was dull until I cleaned the connectors, now the HDD is dead. Onwards and upwards :)

freshfitz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2022, 04:18:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 10:24:42 pm »
If you saavy these work great upgrading the CCFL backlight tubes to LED if you have a dim monitor. it may require tapping into the boards brightness control.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-24in-Wide-Universal-Backlight-LCD-to-LED-Upgrade-Kit-Adjustable-Light-Display/224202463202

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:32:42 pm »
iv'e done a few led conversions.

if i can say one thing... wear clean, non-powdered latex gloves...and do it in a clean area. use canned air to blow dust off as you reassemble. (don't just blow with your mouth...you WILL spit.)

every little speck of dirt or hair that gets in there...even a fingerprint on the backlight diffuser layers, will stick out like a gray thumb.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:43 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 07:39:53 am »
So... it could be the crystal oscillator on the motherboard.

While it’s all connected, get a flatblade screwdriver or something and short the two power switch pins.  If it doeesnt turn right on, mess around with it, wiggle screwdriver back and forth so you make contact then break contact, etc.  you might see the CPU fan spin for a second then stop, just means you turned it on then back off.  Keep trying, it took me up to a minute sometimes.

If you get it powered on go into bios settings.  Look at the clock in standard settings.. is it counting seconds too fast?  It so, oscillator is bad and it will no auto-power on, no matter what, and the time will be off perpetually.

I replaced with another force motherboard and everything powered right up and worked as expected.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 11:15:22 am »
in a nutshell...

typically motherboards don't just power on when you feed them power. the manufacturer expects you to install it in a case with a power button and whatnots, so you'd push the power button to turn it on... but give you to option to just power on again all the time (like what you'd want for a server)

so what they have done is have a "power on AC" or "on AC loss" (or the like) option in the bios that basically tells the computer what to do once the power to the power supply (and by proxy the motherboard) is turned on. by default this is set to "off". (so you'd have to push the power button to turn it on) you would need to se this option to "on" so the motherboard powers on as soon as the power is restored.

if your bios battery dies, the default for this setting is off, so the motherboard plays dead when you hit the power switch. if you kick start it with the shorting of the pins (as shown above) you can enter the bios and change the setting back to on.

I also believe some versions (ion?) of megatouch software automatically reset the bios options once it boots if they are found to be grossly incorrect, so you may not have to change anything besides getting it to boot up...where the software will take care of the settings for you.

if you do have to manually reset them, basically load the optimized defaults, then change the on AC power loss to ON, save and reboot. all should be good.