Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cancer :/  (Read 5540 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
Cancer :/
« on: November 25, 2020, 11:15:38 am »
So three years ago I got really sick, I had a massive brain tumour that messed me up bad. I had surgery to remove it, and it was not cancerous. Turns out my DNA had mutated and my body didn't know what to do with this so it grew a tumour.

It wrecked my whole life, I woke up a new person and had/have major identity crisis issues. Got criplled all down my left side which makes me play musical instruments like a beginner. I nearly went bankrupt, all sorts of sad garbage that I don't want to type out right now because it's in the past.

Last week I was told that I have a new tumour growing, same spot, and that it is cancer. I have recently just scraped my life back together, got a new career in low voltage electricity, and now it's going to be taken away again. It really sucks and I am super depressed. Glad for the healthcare system in Canada, I am getting grief counselling and the like as well as treatments covered, and my job will move me to a desk job (when I'm able) until I'm ready to come back to the field.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Cancer :/
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 08:13:14 pm »
Not the news you were wanting, especially after having that last tumor removed.  Cancer today is not cancer 20 years ago.  My mom had oral cancer at 80 years old and the doctor said it was terminal.  We went to another doctor and had a second opinion and the results were the same but there was a chance of treatment and surgery.  She lost a third of her tongue (didn't shut her up) and experienced mind numbing pain as she is allergic to blood thinners.  She is going to be 91 next month.

Do not give up as I believe that your mind is a very important tool for overcoming cancer and the subsequent treatments.  Focus on your life goals, keep your arcade hobby active.  Fight tooth and nail.

You can beat cancer and go into remission.  If a 90 year old woman can do it - you can.

We are always here for you.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:58:37 pm by Vocalitus »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 08:52:27 pm »
Wow, sorry man.

I think it's ok to have a pity party for a while. I would assume it's totally normal. I definitely want to echo what Vocalitus said - you can beat it.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:52:38 pm »
man I am sorry to hear that. Dont give up and know it aint over till the fat lady sings, and i aint heard no fat lady sing.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:59:29 pm »
Good luck with everything. I know it's a lot, but you've shown that you've got what it takes to handle it. Keep taking care of yourself.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 05:00:59 pm »
Damn dude.

This year is the pits.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 07:48:56 pm »
I don't have the words.  Just know that your contributions on here and in the real world are appreciated and we'd like to continue having you around.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 01:41:17 am »
That is terrible news, Sorry you have to go through that!
You have already had to endure so much but that will only make you stronger to kick that C’s ass!!

Stay safe dude.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 03:02:17 am »
Been a while since last time I popped in here and saw this post.  Hold steady and keep pushing through fellow Canuck, you can beat this.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 10:55:24 am »
fellow Canuck, you can beat this.

You'd think, I mean I've gone through every other damn thing. Unfortunately I'm not so sure this time, it has been 7 years of bad luck, if you believe in that stuff. I don't think it's luck, I just happen to be having a terrible few years. Divorce, surgery to remove the tumour in the first place (which messed with my head really bad - literally woke up a different person), lost my house, lost my job but then regained it, then covid shut it down and I had to switch careers... I just think it's been too much and I don't have the strength to fight anything anymore.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I'll keep on keepin' on.

Here's what is happening:
In the next bit, I have to have CT and MRI scans, and have a mold made to keep my head in place. Around the 15th of Feb I will be having radiation therapy 2x a day, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. After that it's 6 months of chemotherapy, on a 5 days in a row then 23 days off rotation. After that, it's chemotherapy 1x a month for a year.

Healthcare is free in Canada, but there's only one center where I can do my treatments so staying out of town is likely going to bankrupt me. I'm really low on energy already, and working as much as possible because I'll be immuno-compromised and won't be able to do my job as an electrician working with the public. If the cancer doesn't get me, the stress will try it's best.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 12:02:12 pm »
Here's the latest update.

Radiation therapy is apparently the easier of the two, and I've finished the RT and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I start the chemo early next month, I will be using temozolomide.

I am so broke now. I was saving up money for something else when I found out about this, and travelling for 5 hours a day for 6 weeks fit into my budget but then gas prices went up significantly where I live ($0.30/liter) right when I started and although still cheaper than getting a hotel every day it was not by enough. They've taken my driver's license away for the meantime, I hope to get it back on May 5.

I don't have the strength these days. I'm not tired, I'm just weak. Not used to it for sure, I am otherwise in great physical shape. So what I've been doing lately is working on some apps for android and ios. Nothing overly exciting, but one of them is doing pretty okay in terms of sales considering I don't advertise them. I hope to get a bunch of tools out there for cheap and hope that they sell in large numbers because they are a buck and a half. My passion project is of course this app I've been working on since last July called TapTap!

I don't have my own kids but I do have a bunch of them in my life and what they love more than Minecraft on creative is singing and dancing and moving around. So I've got an app that teaches the movements to all those action songs: Head shoulders, Knees and Toes - Itsy Bitsy Spider - I'm a Little Teapot - Six Little Ducks. Those are the ones in the free version.

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.permanentrecords.taptapfree
iOS:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/taptap-lite-movement-music/id1552574184
Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/TapTapTheApp

The full version is a work in progress and has currently 20 songs but I have the sheet music for over 80. I've got 20 recorded (I am a professional musician and used to own a recording studio, but now it's all just in my apartment) and I hope to release it when I have the 20 videos complete. This pandemic is kind of making it so that I can't gather people to film, and I don't want to be in them personally. HOPING that when restrictions are revisited (May 25 here) I can gather some people and bust out the remaining videos. There's a lot of interest by the local school boards to incorporate it into their younger grade curriculum, and I know a lot of people in the daycare business who are eager to get more than the 4 songs on the free version.

Really that's what I've been doing with my time. I'm super depressed and the best  I can do is keep busy until hopefully I get it all over with.