Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Aero City  (Read 10575 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Sega Aero City
« on: November 17, 2020, 04:38:26 am »
I recently picked up a couple Sega Aero City's for a great price. One of them I'm going to keep, the other is going to a buddy.
Both cabinets are in decent condition, have working monitors, but are missing some of the stock parts that Sega released these cabinets with.  For example, the CP's were converted to north american controls so they're missing the original Control Panels and the surround housing. Both cabs also came with non-original marquees, as well as height risers to get these to be standing cabinets.
One of the cabinets has a working Moon Patrol board, while the other has a Centipede that seems to not want to boot-up.  This thread will concentrate on the plans for my cab -- the Centipede one.

First, I love this cabinet.  I think it's one of the most perfect cabs for shmup's and vertical games. The lines of the design being angular, the size being smaller than your average candy, and simplicity and ability to separate all the components and internals make for a wonderful cab to own.  It's got a cool 80's vibe to it, and I really love that the entire cabinet is made out of metal. This cab is a workhorse.

It's about 2 inches less in width, about a couple in height than my New Astro City. It also hosts a 26" Nanao CRT, compared to 29" in the NAC.
I will be dedicating this cab to mainly tate orientation.

The cabinet I'm keeping already has the monitor vertically mounted, but was also adapter to play Centipede, via a Sega->Atari Adapter, and a trackball North American panel was installed. I've got a replacement CP and surround housing on the way to me, as well as various small parts to get this bad boy back to stock.

At first powering it up, the monitor works, but the colors and brightness was very dim. After playing with the pots I was able to get it to show up a bit brighter, but I'm pushing it to the limit here. So a cap-kit and B+ filter cap are in order to start.

My plan is to restore this cabinet in Two Tiers:

Tier 1
Since the holidays is right around the corner, my money has got to be more strategic right now, so I'm considering the first Tier as a parts gathering, cleaning, paint touch-ups, and functionality.  That is, it's got to be cheap, but I wanted to make sure I got all the right parts installed as well as getting it bulletproof in function.

To break it down into goal pillars:
- Aero must have the necessary parts to be returned as close to stock as possible
- thoroughly cleaned cabinet and parts for in-house worthiness
- rustless
- paint and art must be touched-up and presentable
- Bright and beautiful vertical "tate" orientation monitor, suitable for shmups and classic games

Tier 2
In the new year, my plan is to fully strip this cabinet by means of sandblasting, then getting the entire cabinet powder-coated for a brand new finish. New reproduction side-art and stickers will be applied to it, and the wiring will be converted from the early Sega wiring to dedicated JAMMA.

This of course is a bigger financial investment than Tier 1, so that I'll save for when I don't have to buy a billion presents for friends and family. ;)

Pics and Details

In case you were wondering, 2 Aero City's fit inside of a Honda Odyssey minivan:

How they looked when I picked them up. Just sitting outside in the dirt and dust:

The seller had these stored under an awning outside of his home, for lord knows how long, so they accumulated a lot of Californian dirt and grime over that time:

You can see in the above picture the Moon Patrol harness was adapted to the Sega wiring. Here's the Centipede. All said, fairly tidy conversions -- no hack jobs:

Overall decent condition, considering where it was stored.  There are a bunch of scuffs around the cab, and scratches on the side-art. For now I'm going to razorblade the artwork to get the flappy tears flush, then fill in the blemishes with blue enamel paint to touch it up.  Same goes for the glossy white.
Also you can see a bunch of scuffs along the bottom at the base. That's gotta be sorted out to get those clean lines along the edges:

Hardware-wise there are a lot of missing torx screws around the cabinet, some panels are being held by 2/4 they should be secured with. But also, the monitor glass is also missing the thicker torx screws, and one of them was stripped. I had to use pliers to unscrew and completely compromising it. I'm going to have to find replacements:

Got all the original legs:

Inside the cabinet the monitor has a model sheet, and from all that I've seen on PCB comparisons it looks like this monitor is a Nanao MS8-26SG. I will need to further confirm this though:

This is going to be a great cabinet when I'm done with it. For a $400 candy cabinet purchase, who could resist? But if you've followed my restorations before you know I go all the way, and I try to do it quickly.
My goal is to have this up and running in 2 weeks time, at least that's what I'm shooting for. The main thing that's holding me up on this cabinet is waiting for parts to ship. As long as I keep making progress every day, I should be able to get Tier 1 completed in a good sprint.

Let's get started.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:44:14 am by opt2not »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Re: Sega Aero City
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 04:42:05 am »
First order of business: Gut it.

I gotta remove everything from the shell and take it apart so that I can give it a thorough cleaning.

Remove the CP and Monitor. I love how the monitor bezel just lifts up like a Delorean :D

I pulled my buddy's monitor to take a look at his chassis as well.  Man, I do have a lot of monitors, only 4 are in the background but there's another 4 hiding off camera:

Here's a look at the inside. Not too terrible, but still really dirty and grimy. Also, lots of spider webs and nests. So yeah, maybe kinda terrible LOL :lol :

Removed all the hardware inside, here's what nastiness I was left with:

Second order of business: Clean it.

After a good shop-vac I sprayed the cabinet down with a hose and simple green, and began scrubbing it from top to bottom, in and out.

Here's a look at what the insides look like now:

The cabinet cleaned up really nicely, and I was able to get rid of a bunch of scuffs and marks on the sides:

There was a bunch of rust building up along the bottom edges, and lot around the cash box door. So I removed the base of the cabinet, and took some sandpaper and scraped off the rust and made the paint smooth around that area so that I can apply the touch-up paint later:

Overall I'm very happy with the condition and cleanliness of the cab.  Since it got dark outside, and I couldn't start applying the touch-up paint (would rather do that during the day), I re-focused my efforts to the monitor.

Before I service any monitor chassis, I like to give it a good cleaning. Time for a bath!

Scrub-a-dub-dub, dirty chassis in the tub:

My method for cleaning monitor chassis' is to spray it down with warm water and simple green, then take a medium soft paint brush and use it to scrub the grime out. The long bristles help in reaching under caps, or in tight spots, but also is flexible enough that you can't apply too much pressure to damage anything.

After a rinse, I pat it down with a cloth, drying up as much of the main moisture as I can.

Once that's done to satisfactory, I blast it with some canned-air, especially in the small holes and connector ports that might keep the water inside.

Next, it sits in front of a fan overnight to dry-out even more:

This is where we're at right now. In the morning I will then put the chassis in the oven at 170F and let it sit for 30-40 mins drying out any moisture that is hiding under components or inside sockets.  This has been my tried and true method for years.

During the day my plan is to apply the touch-up paint to the glossy white parts, as well as the blues in the side-art. Stay tuned   :cheers:

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 07:33:17 am »
Subscribed!  And nice write up.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 07:53:05 am »
Nice pickup. I like the fact that these are all metal.

My Okay Baby is plastic.

Arroyo can tell you how hard it was to change the monitor orientation on my cab. The fact that it has a 29 inch monitor didn't help.

The Nanao in your cab is a much more manageable size.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 04:42:14 pm »
Thanks bros.

I baked a pie today:

170F for 25 minutes, then turned off the oven and let it sit in there as it cooled down. Once cooled, remove and serve. ;)

So fresh and so clean-clean!  Ready for fresh caps.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 11:31:15 pm »
Let’s keep the momentum going!

I hit the sides with some gloss white krylon, mostly on the blemishes and bottom edges. Also bent the bottom edge to get it more straight.

And of course, the coin box frame looks a hellava lot better:

Didn’t bother painting the footrest area because that gets covered by a bracket and rubber mat.

I popped out the coin door hardware and threw it in my drill chuck, spun it up and pressed it on some 120 grit sandpaper to shine them up.

I think it turned out well! It’s not a perfect match, the krylon is a slight shade brighter, but you can’t really tell unless you’re up really close.
Also, the krylon is not as glossy as the original surface so I plan on hitting this thing with some Novus polish and see if I can get it to look more consistent.

All’s done, I’m happy with this.
The monitor bezel needs the same treatment, that should be tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:35:51 am by opt2not »

AstroPanthera

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 09:15:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 04:14:00 pm »
These are going to be gorgeous. Awesome pickup!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 04:30:50 pm »
Thank you, AstroPanthera.  :cheers:

Last night I took the cleaned-up chassis and started mapping out the caps.

All the caps pulled.  The previous owner told me he did a cap replacement within the last 5 years, but that was only half true.  He replaced maybe 6 caps, but the rest were stock! :(  AND those caps he replaced were cheap low-end ones like Jamicon and Elna.

Here's the mapping. Sorry I didn't sort the list on the right by number, should have done that...oh well.

I found 2 damaged pads when I desoldered those caps. I for sure didn't damage them, as you can see one of them looks like a cold joint, but that's because that one side of the pad is gone. The previous owner must of torched them. Continuity still checks out, but they're hanging on by a thread! I might have to jump these connections for peace-of-mind.

Another annoyance is there's a whole lot of silicone glue/paste holding caps down.  Some of the glue is holding caps that have no business needing to be held, like the bigger 100uF caps that have thick legs and solder. Those things ain't going anywhere, no point in gluing them down.
It's like someone spunked all over this chassis.

I haven't nailed down what variant of the MS8-26 this is, because there are a lot of information out there that isn't clear.  There are a few known variants, MS8-26A, 26SU, 26SG, and 26SE?

I speculated that I have the 26SG due to the monitor model sheet inside the cabinet, but I wasn't 100% sure.  When cabs changes hands in it's history, you never know what was left stock and what was replaced. So I wanted to varify what monitor chassis this actually is.

After talking to Peter from arcadepartsandrepair.com he sent me a cap list of his kit for the 26SG.  I compared it to the caps I pulled from the chassis and neckboard and noticed there are some differences:

2 of the caps are at different values, and 1 of the caps is missing on my chassis.

I am not sure if the previous owner just put in the incorrect values on those caps that don't match, but what's weird is that my chassis is missing a C579.  The serial numbers on my chassis and the neckboard both match what arcadepartsandrepair have listed on their 26SG kit page. So I'm confused as to why these 3 caps are not consistent with that cap kit list.

Anyone have any information you can share so I can lock down this variant? I'm waiting to hear back from Peter at arcadepartsandrepair.  Hope he might know what's up.  It's so weird.

Later today I'm going to tackle touch-up paint on the monitor bezel. This train keeps rollin'!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 09:48:06 pm »
I heard back from ArcadePartsAndRepair about the SG kit and the discrepancies between the 3 caps:

Quote from: 'Peter @ www.arcadepartsandrepair.com'
That kit is probably correct for your chassis because that 22uf was upgraded to the 33uf and the cap that is missing isn’t uncommon to find and I would leave it out if the solder looks like it never had one installed plus if it was working.  Just add a note to your order to upgrade two of the 33uf caps to 250v just to be safe and someone here will change them in the kit for you.
I’m going to trust Peter and say this is an MS8-26SG. Cap kit ordered. I can’t recommend arcadepartsandrepair.com enough, lots of stock for our needs, and great communication and service.

In the meantime, there’s still more bodywork to do.

The monitor bezel was a bit rusty, so I took sandpaper to it then repainted it right at sundown, just before it got dark outside:

Turned out really nice.

While the bezel is drying I went back to the craft store and picked up a darker blue enamel that closer matches the side art.

The blue is definitely a closer match, if not just a hair darker, but you can’t really tell unless you were up close:

Tried to blend it as best I could:

The other side is a bit harder to hide. Lots more damage to the side art:

Tonight I’ve got to prep for tomorrow’s stream, so I’m probably only going to clean the dirty wiring I pulled from the cab.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 10:04:26 am »
Wish I had seen this before I stripped my Versus City. Lots of good tips. This is one hell of a restore. Wondering if leaving mine in "survivor" condition is worth it after seeing this. I knew when I saw who OP was that this would be quality posting and you did not disappoint! Loving this thread!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 04:26:21 pm »
Congrats on these. Great work so far!  :applaud:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 05:53:12 pm »
The service door was funky, especially on the bottom edge. Bunch of rust and scratches.

So I sanded it down the best I could and prepped it for a fresh coat of paint (making sure to tape off the stickers):

Also got the cash box door prepped for a refresh:

Boom!

Also threw some paint on the Control Panel base, getting ready for my top panel surround to arrive:

I pivoted from the painting while waiting for these pieces to dry, and concentrated efforts on the metal parts at the base.  They were suffering from some build-up from the elements, maybe water scum, mixed with dirt...who knows.

As the man of the house, I'm relegated to doing the crappy chores, like putting out the trash, or scrubbing the bathrooms.  So I know the best way to get scum off of the facets is to use CLR. You just spray the metals, let it sit for 5-10 mins and let the foam do the work for you. Then you just lightly scrub it away with a magic eraser and they come out looking shiny.

Mirror-like finish!

I really want to reassemble everything, so after my stream tonight I'm going to try to put all the parts back together and snap some pics.  Exciting!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 05:57:48 pm »
Wish I had seen this before I stripped my Versus City. Lots of good tips. This is one hell of a restore. Wondering if leaving mine in "survivor" condition is worth it after seeing this. I knew when I saw who OP was that this would be quality posting and you did not disappoint! Loving this thread!
Thanks, morton.  Honestly, these cabinets are so much easier to work on than stand-up woodies. Less messy. :D

Congrats on these. Great work so far!  :applaud:
Emph!  Good to hear from you, man. I was hoping a candy cab restore would bring guys like you out. ;)  Thanks dude.  :cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 06:53:01 pm »
I couldn't wait. Had to see how all these painted parts looked together.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 07:43:38 pm »
 :applaud:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 06:58:34 am »
Tonight’s task was to clean the topper that holds the marquee and speakers.

It was pretty dirty all-around, but there is no damage that needed touching up:

I took it apart piece by piece, which actually requires you to follow an order of disassembly to get all the parts out.

Simple Green again, and after drying it all off, it cleaned up very nicely:

For reference, this has a F15T8 “cool white” bulb inside.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 01:01:54 pm by opt2not »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 08:08:28 am »
Lookin good all around, you are a machine.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 10:07:28 pm »
The machine keeps runnin’!  :cheers:

Today I got the repro CP’s and Surround.

also got an original Sega-to-JAMMA adapter. My monitor cap kit came today too. Lots of goodies to get this done!

The CP Surround was a bit yellowed.

This is actually paint, so I sanded it down and prepped for a fresh coat. Fresh and clean!

I waited for the CP Surround to dry then attached it to the cabinet...

Also added locks to the doors. The service door came with a keyless lock. I like it for the convenience so I’ll keep it.

I attached the topper and the cleaned-up marquee holder. We’re at the home stretch!

We’re getting there!
Tonight I’ll recap the monitor, then install the wiring this weekend. I should also be getting the rubber mat for the footrest tomorrow.

Woo hoo!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 04:22:09 am »
Big strides were made in the last 24hrs!

I re-capped the monitor like I mentioned I would. Double and triple checked my work, no backwards caps, continuity checked out.

Nice new Nichicon caps from arcadepartsandrepair’s Nanao MS8-26SG kit.

Decided I should test and clean/balance the tube before I installed the chassis onto it.

All guns cleaned and balanced, everything is in  working order. This tube is thankfully healthy.

Top-shelf condition! Colors are back to being vibrant, brightness is great, and the geometry looks fantastic! I’m [size=14]super psyched[/size] right now!

I had to throw a game on this and the easiest board to hook-up was my Namco 20th Anniversary.

I’m so pumped! Happy that the monitor didn’t need much more than new caps.

Also got the last physical touches done on the cab.

New footrest rubber mat, courtesy of @'hoagtech', thank you sir. So I installed it with the newly cleaned metal brackets. The glass and monitor shroud was also cleaned up and reinstalled.

I swapped the coin insert from the fairly divoted metal one to a white plastic I had laying around for a long while. Also put the 2L6B Aero panel on there. I wanna get a 1P panel soon as well.

It’s now house worthy. The eagle has landed!

I’m going to rearrange this room to fit in the new cab.

Next up is to bring the wiring and monitor back into the cab. I’m so close to being done!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 06:35:29 am »
I think that's the first time I have seen anyone actually take the time to do that correctly...You have not only restored those guns, but have also restored my faith in humanity.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 06:15:51 pm »
Took a couple days before posting the last few tasks to be done (for now).

After bringing it into the house, I had to rearrange my office/game room to accomodate my new cab, so that took a bit of time to moving things around and hook-up everything again.

For the cabinet I finished off cleaning the wiring and re-populating it into the cabinet.
One of the things that bugs me in these japanese cabinets are these cable ties.  They tend to lose their stickiness in the pads, so you have cables dangling around willy-nilly.

I replaced the double sided foam tape on all the ones that were worn out and put them back into their original spots:

Clean and organized:

The rubber grommets came in, which fit perfectly.

I also repainted the black screws holding my monitor down. The darkness!:

Here's pro-tip for people putting cabinets on carpet and want to be able to slide them around when re-positioning. When I used to play ice hockey, I used to get really bad blisters and calices on the bottom of my feet from my hockey skates. One of the tips that a teammate gave me was to tape my feet up with duct tape.  Not kidding.  The duck tape is not only strong and sticky enough to stay on your feet, but also reduces the friction inside your skates, lessening the amount of chafing and rubbing on your feet.  This is a tip for hikers too, it greatly helps keep your feet from blistering.

I applied this same knowledge to the feet of my cabinet so I can slide it around on carpet if need be.

I only had white Duct tape on hand, Silver is the best because it has the more slippery contact, but this will do for now:

Cut-off the exccess:

Done, protected cabinet feet from blisters and calices ;)

I put everything back together, but I still wasn't satisfied with the monitor.  The convergence was off, and couldn't get it to align properly after fiddling with it for an hour:

Turned out it needed just a bit of a rejuv on the red gun, so I hit it once and saw those satisfying cleaning sparks in the neck, and was able to easily converge it after.  Super sharp and better brightness/contrast now!

I'm really happy with the way the monitor turned out.  It's super nice, and my tracking reading show that the guns are still really healthy, so I should be able to get a few more decades out of this tube.

I wired everything back up, including the CP.  I'm not going to show the wiring just yet because I wanna build a brand new harness for it. It's really hacked up, but I need it playable for tonight's stream.

Got everything back up and did some test runs with a couple oldschool favorites. Here are the glory pics:

I really love how the marquee light shines upwards into the topper, lighting up the flyer art i have in there:

This concludes the bulk of the project.

A couple things left I want to do with it over the next few weeks are...:
1. New CP harness
2. Acquire a 1 player panel
3. Apply the CP art to the bare metal surround once it arrives from Gateninety
4. Re-solder a new Jamma loom onto the Sega fingerboard. these adapters are so short and frail, you can barely reach a mounted board. I got a fresh loom I can use till i do a proper JAMMA conversion later on.
5. Install an audio amp. not being able to adjust the volume outside of the game PCB sucks

I will be streaming from this fabulous cabinet tonight and giving a small tour of it.  Feel free to pop-in and say hello!
6pm PSThttps://www.twitch.tv/gillaxian
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 06:17:24 pm by opt2not »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 10:43:46 am »
Man, a CRT rejuvinator is something everyone in this hobby should have access to.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 02:22:06 pm »
Man, a CRT rejuvinator is something everyone in this hobby should have access to.
Agreed!  If you're working on monitor repairs for your cabinets, a rejuvanator is a vital tool.

Small update, I got around to building a longer Aero City-to-JAMMA adapter using a spare NOS Sanwa JAMMA loom I have been holding onto for a long while.
This loom will eventually be used for the full JAMMA conversion I do to the cabinet in the future.

I pulled the fingerboard off the adapter that came with the Moon Patrol PCB and cleaned it as best I could.

Started soldering the newer wires, following the pinout specified in the Aero City manual.

...and Done!

Now I don’t need to be struggling with that short original adapter.    :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 07:53:15 am »
This thing turned out great.  Your speed in getting ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- done is mind boggling.  I love candy cabs, and you did this one justice!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 08:17:07 am »
That loom looks great, I wish the Chinese made looms you can get on eBay had proper wire gauges like that.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 03:48:26 pm »
That loom looks great, I wish the Chinese made looms you can get on eBay had proper wire gauges like that.

Yeah me too.  I really wished I bought more of these looms when they were available. I got this spare a while ago on ebay, the seller had a few available but they were expensive so I only grabbed one. I shouldn't have been so cheap and picked up multiples!  They're the best looms I've seen.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2021, 07:31:10 pm »
My apologies, i didn't close off this restoration.  The cab is completely done now. Here's the last bit of progress made a couple months ago:

I re-crimped a new and updated 1-player control panel harness with nicer QD’s and a joystick JST connector used on most modern joysticks now.

Ended up Receiving a repro panel, and I gotta say, this is the highest quality repro you’re going to find out there right now.

The Sega Logo and silver lines are reflective!!

Incredible quality. The bottom is also very clean and reflective, plus the mounts are properly placed and gives you a lot of versatility in different mounting plates you can use. I highly recommend alberto’s panels!

I applied the surround overlay using my vinyl art technique when I restore wood cabs. Really easy to go on:

I screwed up though. I should have painted the surround first to get the overlay to look brighter than the print. I didn’t realize the print was a bit translucent, so it took on a darker tone when it was applied to the bare metal.

No matter, it doesn’t look too bad when on the cabinet.
added my choice of yellow controls with an oversized 45mm balltop (standard is 35mm dia)

Wiring is a hellava lot cleaner than before:

I wanted a subtle bling to it, so I added a led start button to p1 and wires 5v up to it to power on.

AND that’s about it!

all that’s left is to get some wheels that are missing for the back of this thing, but I’d say this restoration is pretty much complete for now!

thanks to all that followed along. This is a glorious cabinet now.

Here's a few more glory pictures of it running. 

I've been doing twitch.tv streams from it as well, if anyone is interested in dropping by to say hello.  I stream regularily on Thursdays at 6pm - 7:30pm PST, and late night streams on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 10:30pm PST till whenever I get tired.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 11:37:35 am »
Looks amazing. I agree on alberto's panels, they are amazing. May I ask, why the 45 mm ball top? :cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 12:43:04 pm »
Looks amazing. I agree on alberto's panels, they are amazing. May I ask, why the 45 mm ball top? :cheers:

LS-58 + Big balltop + kowal short throw mod + extended shaft + 1.5lbs spring feels pretty good as a shmup stick setup.
The 45mm ball has a bit more weight and surface area for my big mitts.

I’m current tryin a bunch of configurations for optimal shmuppin, including a battop right now.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 03:59:26 pm »
for my big mitts.
Gotcha.

I’m current tryin a bunch of configurations for optimal shmuppin, including a battop right now.

I've tried so many sticks, Seimitsu, Magstick, SUZO 500... - mods up the whazoo. I've finally landed on SANWA JLF (unthinkable at first) with just a bigger actuator and a tougher spring. I have those in all of my panels now. Did you try mounting it lower? That affects the throw as well, I guess. I bought KOWALs short throw mod for LS-56 at one time, but never got around to trying it before trying/loving the JLF/actuator mod.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2021, 08:52:45 pm »
Did you try mounting it lower? That affects the throw as well, I guess.

I wouldn't mind trying this. I could add a spacer between the bracket and the mounting plate.

I'm going to use a bat top for a little bit to see if I like the feel of it. For shmups mainly.  For fighting games and brawlers I gotta still use a ball top.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2021, 09:25:43 am »
This really is a perfect job :applaud:

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:33:55 am