Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My 29inch CRT standup cabinet  (Read 8883 times)

GIRFT1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:11:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
My 29inch CRT standup cabinet
« on: November 16, 2020, 07:21:27 pm »
Hi
I would like to share my build project with this group as i have spent so many hours /days/weeks viewing the forums and learnt such a huge amount from its members. I first discovered MAME about 15 years ago and enjoyed being reminded of my youth - donkey kong, track and field, Raiden, street fighter. Life got in the way until I began thinking again about building my own cabinet for retro gaming.
I have limited computer / electrical  knowledge and didn't own a windows PC until 4 months ago, however I am keen to learn and know where to find help.
So about 9 months ago I began planning the build and buying some of the bits that I (thought) I would need.

I knew i would only be satisfied with the project if it had a 15 kHz CRT monitor so I figured I would try and buy as much glass space as possible and waited patiently for a 29inch sony crt to appear on ebay. I wanted a 29inch because i wanted to play vertical games and thought that would give the best fit. I bought a sony trinitron 29 inch 4:3 (KVA2942U) which is a "Super" trinitron - still not really sure what that means - i couldn't find very much information about this tv on the internet but now i'm fairly sure it is not a 100Hz model and thats about it. These units are very heavy!! This sat in my garage until i found a PC.

The PC i chose form ebay was a win10/ i5 / 256ssd / 1TB hd / and it came with an nvidia card which i swapped for and AMD R9 380 graphics card. I now know think this level card was unnecessary - i thought it would help with Bigbox front end use - but appreciate now that this is probably not the case. If i could choose again i would have gone for a faster processor instead of a better graphics card. I then began trying to connect the PC to my CRT. This link was crucial to my basic understanding of how and why and I read this many times - https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/arcade/m-a-m-e-emulation-projects-and-discussion/89704-a-guide-to-connecting-your-windows-pc-to-an-sd-crt-tv-pvm-or-arcade-monitor

I found an old SCART cable and created a VGA (screw terminals) socket  to SCART . After a bit more research I found that connecting one of the SCART pins to a 12v supply (from an unused PC molex connector) will make the tv power up on the correct AV channel without the need to reach for the remote. My old TV seemed to work fairly well, there is some geometry distortion - but i only noticed this when looking at a test pattern. The one thing that did cause me concern was the amount of flickering present especially when looking at large areas of white against dark colours. This however is not a problem when viewing 240p games and only really problematic when viewing webpages on 480x680. It may well be that all crt's suffer from this and i just hadn't seen a crt picture for so long i had forgotten. Setting up the CRT with CRT Emudriver was fairly easy and some of my problems were down to me not reading the guides properly- this one was also very helpful - https://cdcruze.com/2019/03/retroarch-and-crt-emudriver-setup-guide/

I then began looking into the software. I choose Launch box and payed for a year's worth of Big Box. I wasn't that hugely impressed with launch box form a visual point of view, however with BigBox applied the system it looks great and functions really well! I wanted to be able to play some early console games NES/SNES so spent some time with Retroarch (here  I lost many weeks!!!) and it was the most frustrating step of the project so far. I found retroarch kept messing up with the TV resolutions after the games had finished - I still feel I've a long way to go and perhaps stand alone emulators without retroarch are the way to go.

I finally got the the software setup at least part of the way there and began wanting to move on to the next step. I decided that i would decase the CRT - it somehow felt a much more professional way to do the project rather than simply placing the tv in the cabinet with its plastic bezel.
The TV was filthy inside with 25 years buildup of dirt and dust. I took lots and lots of photographs before i started to disassemble it prior to cleaning and even then there were points when i thought i wouldn't be able to put it back together again. I had read that you can place the circuit boards in a dishwasher - i wasn't brave enough and simply washed them in warm water under  the tap. I left them in an airing cupboard for a week or so before connecting them back up. The worst part was removing the anode cap from the tube I thought i had damaged the glass despite being very careful.

With the tube face down on a table i built a wooden frame around it - the tv i was using had four very sturdy brackets on each corner so it was fairly straight forward. I then made a tray for the chassis and strengthened  the construct with two metal struts.

Then came the moment of truth - i reattached the anode cap, applied some new silicone grease and ------- i couldn't believe  it powered up and i was able to view the tv menu - result!!!!  :)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: My 29inch CRT standup cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 02:33:12 am »
You'll be stoked you did the extra work to get a CRT in there!
Well done.
Now just don't mess it up with a frankenpanel
 :lol
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 04:57:05 pm »
Hopefully No Frankenpanel - although I can see how they might  happen by accident - keep adding thinking it will give a better experience. 2 player only possibly 4 admin buttons (plus player start and coin) -some might say this is part way there. At the moment im looking for reasons not to put a trackball on. I have noticed that the majority of projects on here seem to have one installed. I didn't play many arcade games all those years ago with a trackball.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 02:25:08 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 02:00:57 am »
  Very good progress! I find the trackball most useful for navigating Windows, occasionally for a game. If you solve running console emulators in 240p let me know.

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 10:59:01 am »

I then began looking into the software. I choose Launch box and payed for a year's worth of Big Box. I wasn't that hugely impressed with launch box form a visual point of view, however with BigBox applied the system it looks great and functions really well! I wanted to be able to play some early console games NES/SNES so spent some time with Retroarch (here  I lost many weeks!!!) and it was the most frustrating step of the project so far. I found retroarch kept messing up with the TV resolutions after the games had finished - I still feel I've a long way to go and perhaps stand alone emulators without retroarch are the way to go.

I run Bigbox as the front end solution for my living room console emu PC and I love it.  It strikes a great balance between usability and gloss and it runs fine on pretty low-powered systems (even an old Intel Atom based tablet I have). 

As for Retroarch, I feel your pain.  Overall it's a great project and I'm grateful to have it available, but it's got some idiosyncrasies that can be frustrating to say the least.  Video resolution seems to be a particularly weird area for Retroarch, as I too struggled with it for hours before just giving up.  I was trying to run RA on an old PC with NVIDIA video card and it worked like a champ on PC monitors and older 1080p TVs, but when I hooked the same PC up to my 4k TV via HDMI, RA kept trying to force the resolution higher which caused all games to stutter and become unplayable.  I'd go in and edit the CFG files and manually save, but the next time I'd load RA, it would revert to the  higher resolution and I'd have to manually change it again.  I believe it has to do with the "gl" video driver or something like that, I don't know - like I said, I just threw in the towel and moved the rig over to a 1080 TV where it is running fine. 

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 11:32:41 am »
Ive spent some time looking for cabinet designs that are similar to what i wanted to achieve. Eventually I found a silhouette that was close and imported it to Sketchup. The payed trail version was better than the free version as it lacks a fair amount of  functionality but it still gave me an idea for sizes and angles.

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 11:46:34 am »
The final design for the sides changed a fair amount between sketchup and marking the outline up on wood. I kept changing the angles until I was happy. I used various mugs/bowls/kitchen utensils to draw the curves. I went to a local arcade and measured the control panel heights and distance from monitor to controls. I aimed for a 100cm mid CP height. Ive now realised that using a 29inch monitor may have the disadvantage of being slightly too big as the player must be at a minimum distance away from the screen this then begins to dictate other distances/angles and shape of the cabinet.

This image is  fairly close to the actual cutline that was marked up on the wood. I still haven't decided how the CP will sit on the cabinet.

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 11:53:20 am »
Some delay in progress over Christmas. Also had an incident with my new router - the motor housing cracked when trying to remove a stuck router bit, it was reputable make and the company have now repaired the router with minimal fuss. I had bought a 1/4 inch palm router and in retrospect a 1/2 inch plunge router would have been a better buy for this project.

Ive decided on MDF with a black wood effect laminate. After looking at the quality of 18mm mdf in large uk DIY stores I wasn't impressed - edges seem very soft. I therefore went to a kitchen manufacturer and bought some pieces of "deep router MDF" the sheets are heavy and i had originally planned to route in channels for the back/ front and top panels  to slot into the side panels - however im now not convinced this is necessary and ive yet to see a build on this forum using this method. Despite the weight the mdf sheets look very sturdy and imreally pleased with the quality.

Cutting the first side went well i used a circular saw and a jigsaw with a new blade for the curves. I was surprised at how well the jigsaw cut the MDF with care it would be perfectly possible to use only the jigsaw but the circular saw definitely mad the straight cuts easier (and more fun)  :D.

The second side was made by drawing round the first side onto a fresh sheet of MDF and rough cutting (within 5mm) the second side. Then the two pieces were firmly clamped together and a flush cutting router used to create an identical copy. Well almost - I didnt take care which direction i was moving the router (there is clearly a right way and a wrong way) the wrong way can cause the bit to grab the wood and create a divot. Fortunately the T moulding will cover it up.

I havent quite decided how the CP will sit on the cabinet yet so the CP support section will be changed in time.

Standing both sides vertical was a great moment as i could see the shape of the cabinet for the first time.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 12:22:53 pm by GIRFT1 »

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 06:56:30 pm »
Started to build the base.I think having two recessed wheels at the back would allow me to manoeuvre the cab around the garage more easily and adjust its position in its final resting place. I was planning on two static adjustable feet at the front. The wheels should only add about 1cm to the overall height and allow for some downlighting to be fitted if i decide to.
Ive chosen wheels that many other projects  seem to have used on this forum. - for example Flynns arcade - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135116.msg1443363.html#msg1443363

During the routing I managed to break the router - probably my fault by using a bit with not enough shank to get the the depth i was after. The collet therefore some how became stuck and the motor housing cracked after attempting to remove the bit.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:02:29 pm by GIRFT1 »

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 08:15:27 am »
Here is an up date. This project is clearly going to take a long time. Ive completed the base - feels very solid. Wood working is definitely something that you improve with over time. I used a combination of screws / dowels and glue. ive also added some feet at the front , i used some old sofa adjustable feet i found lying around.

In between the woodworking ive bought various bits of coin doors and mechanisms and also an old PC speaker system - Cambridge audio 5.1. Although ive just realised that my pc has an integrated sound card with only one "line out" not sure if this changes anything but i was keen on using the sub-woofer in the base of the cabinet. i will have to connect it all up and check it all functions.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 08:36:41 am »
Your work looks very neat but I haven't seen your thread until now and need to ask:

Have you considered the issues that 100hz TVs typically have with 240p resolutions? I'm talking about colour bleeding (especially on red), digital "artifacts" and pixels that change colours? Have you experienced these issues? I have experience with Loewe 100hz TVs but not Sony 100hz TVs.

CORRECTION: I re-read your starting post and I see that it isn't a 100hz TV, my mistake :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:38:23 am by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 09:59:02 am »
Thanks Zebidee
I am 99% certain the sony 29 inch tv is not 100Hz model but i did find it very difficult to unearth any documentation regarding older tvs (the user guide does not really help) - i think the chassis is a non 100Hz one.

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 04:48:31 pm »
Its been a long time since any updates. Lots of reasons many centred around my garage work space being taken over by a group of insensitive  builders for storage of their cement bags. Anyway they have now left and i have been making slow but steady progress.
I have attached the cabinet sides, I used two temporary thick wooden struts to allow be to stand the cabinet upright whilst fitting the back and top woodwork.

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 05:17:37 pm »
Ive also spent some time gathering some other essential bits. I bought some old coin doors. I quickly learned that they are not all of uniform size - the first one i bought was a sega door and it didnt fit my metal frame so i had to buy a second. The sega door did however come with some well made and well functioning coin mechanisms (asahi). The mechs were designed to work with yen coins but after a bit of tinkering i managed to remove a small brass sizing lever and they now work well with a Polish Zlotty coin - which I happen to have a box of in the house.
I stripped the metal work down with paint stripper and applied a coat of spray can metal primer. I was really please with the result. The new door needed a bit of metal filler where there were extra holes made by the old coin mechs but after two coats of primer they were unnoticeable. Im considering whether to use a textured black paint or plain matt for the top coat. Im still on the lookout for a blank embossed lower coin door - they dont come up very often for sale in the uk
I also found an old Cambridge sound works pc speaker system and I'm hoping that the subwoofer and the two 4ohm 10w speakers will be sufficient. The system also comes with a wired volume / balance control that i hope to  fix through the top of the cabinet.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 05:20:25 pm by GIRFT1 »

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 06:01:19 pm »
I tried my hand at mdf "Kerfing". There are several websites that provide calculators to predict cut depth and cut spacing. But i found the best method was to experiment on a piece of scrap wood. For a 12mm sheet of standard mdf I used 10mm cut depth with 9 mm spacing. For the sides and front of the cabinet i used 18mm deep routing mdf but I wanted sometihng lighter for the top and sides, i also wanted the top and back to look neat. Kerfing was actually easier than i thought it would be - i used a hand held circular saw and the curves ended up being smooth - definitely practise first.
I wanted the back to be easy to remove as i know that i will have to connect a secondary lcd monitor at times when the crt is fed an inappropriate video resolution or frequency. I used butterfly latches but had really wanted lower profile rotating latches (couldn't find any).

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 06:29:39 pm »
Finally ive attached the crt monitor. I used a cardboard sheet to get the hight and angle right before fixing the wooden monitor frame in place. ive spent the last few weeks playing arcade games all be it with a PS controller. im now planning the control panel and controls. I think im going to try a servo stik as i enjoy playing 4way games and see how it feels.

I had originally wanted to have a large control panel that sat onto of the horizontal side projections and overhangs but the reality is that this cabinet is large and most original cabinets had smooth curved panels that lay within the cabinet sides.I think i would have enough space even with a trackball (which i am still undecided on) and kerfing being simple as it was for the top i think i may try it for the CP.
I cant decide what to do about the buttons - I think fully illuminated would look wrong but i like the idea of a clear illuminated bezel and a solid plungers. (as in The Grid) Im also considering how to illuminate the joystick through a transparent dust cover.
Lots to think about but really enjoying this project even if its going at a snails pace.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2021, 06:58:54 pm »
29” Sony?  Damn, well done. 

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 07:06:03 pm »
Nice kerfing work!  I don't think I've seen a build do that in the back like that.  Gives it an interesting organic look.  :applaud:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:50:48 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 11:51:44 pm »
The kerfing turned out very nice.  :cheers:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 02:35:09 am »
Coming along nicely!
Thanks for sharing the kerfing portion.
Got a project myself that will benefit from learning that trick.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 03:13:03 am »
Nice kerfing. Curves are much sexier than angles  8)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 06:11:27 am »
Wow what a beast of a cabinet!  29” monitor is insane.  Even 3:4 games are going to look great.  The ServoStik is a great choice - I have a few of them and really like them.  I also think your cabinet is wide enough to not hang the CP over the sides.

Keep going!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 08:17:38 am »
Very good job! I too like the 29" CRT, but that box is going to be heavy (sure you already thought of that).
I like the way you bent that MDF. I must try that now, just hope mine turns out half as nice.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 08:47:13 am »
Do you intend to fill the kerfing gaps with glue?

GIRFT1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 01:13:04 pm »
Thanks for all the encouragement. Yep kerfing is easier than i thought - especially with a sharp new saw blade and a few trial runs. I wasn't planning on glueing the kerf - in fact i have changed my mind about glueing any of the woodwork as im worried the CRT may blow a capacitor at some point and if everything was glued up it would be impossible to remove the screen or chassis without destroying the machine.

Its good to hear a positive review for the servo stik - i think im shortly going to order one and have a play.

And yes the box is reassuringly heavy - so glad it has wheels at the back.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2021, 06:53:22 pm »
This is looking great. Nice attention to detail.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:52:26 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2021, 08:22:55 am »
Its good to hear a positive review for the servo stik - i think im shortly going to order one and have a play.

I have to second this recommendation.. I've been through every kind of stick including U360s and I absolutely love the servostik.  Some people will complain about the 8 way "feel" and that the travel is "off" becuase it's not an octoganal restrictor, but TBH I have had no issues.  It really is the best way to get 4+8 way games playable in a cabinet without having to have separate sticks for everything.  I went from frankenpanel to 2x Servostik + trackball and i haven't looked back.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:25:27 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2021, 09:25:09 am »
The servo stick is great unless you like playing video games.