Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Noob question going to an ipac 4  (Read 1110 times)

Montell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2022, 02:51:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Noob question going to an ipac 4
« on: November 22, 2020, 06:05:25 pm »
I am not good with wiring nor i am i much of an electrician, when i originally wired my cabinet it was with zero delay encoders and a raspberry pi. After getting an i7 2015 from work for 25 bucks and putting in a decent graphics card, i have gone to a pc. With that I am planning to now put in an ipac 4.

I have a friend who is good with electrical that could assist, but rewiring my cabinet i see the sanwa joystick connectors I need have a ground wire. Since its a 4 player panel that means 4 ground wires for each joystick using these connections, I posted a link below of the sanwa connection. I also have a mix and match of some .110 sanwa buttons but a few .187 buttons for start (I can only find those), so I am unsure how Daisey chaining will work, and how many ground buttons can be Daisey chained.

https://www.amazon.ca/JLF-H-Wiring-Harness-Joysticks-Seimitsu/dp/B01GE752BY

And I am looking at this wiring kit

https://retroactivearcade.ca/products/i-pac-4-wiring-kit-1

Obviously the ipac wiring harness has the Daisey chain loop but with only two ground connections, how would i ground the other joystick connections? Or what would i need to ask someone with electrical experience to do?

And how many ground connections can you make in the daisey chain loop? I have 36 .110 connectors and about 5 .187 connectors.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:44:40 pm by Montell »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Noob question going to an ipac 4
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:46:43 am »
You can link as many grounds together on the same pcb as you want.
Logic ground is logic ground.

Those joysticks have their own circuit board and the ground for every directional input is linked together for you already, so you have only 5 wires instead of 8.
One wire each for L, R, U, D, and a common ground.

For clarity you can daisy chain the player 1 joystick and all player 1 button grounds together and the player 2 joystick and all player 2 button grounds together- utilizing only two ground connections total on the Ipac.

You really could bond every ground in the whole panel together if it all goes to the same interface board and it wouldn't make a difference to the board.
Those impulses/loads are so small, short lived, and travel so fast that it doesn't matter.

If your friend is a real electrician he/she will tell you that you would NEVER do this in the wiring in your house.
 :lol
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.