Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Elite Dangerous Free?  (Read 2093 times)

Vocalitus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Elite Dangerous Free?
« on: November 18, 2020, 06:47:53 pm »
Yes Free

Epic Games will release Elite Dangerous with Horizons for free on the 19th November to 26th.

If you haven't played it, its good and you can mod it for an arcade cabinet too with voice attack.

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
Re: Elite Dangerous Free?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:14:35 am »
Thanks for the heads up.

I have good memories of playing the original Elite, and was really looking forward to playing Elite Dangerous when it was first announced. However, Braben then broke his promise to provide a DRM free version that didn't require an internet connection. Sadly, that was a deal-breaker for me, so I never bothered buying it.

I generally don't touch any software that has DRM with a bargepole, and I'm presuming that this "free" version will still have some type of DRM embedded in it. However, if it's not going to cost me any money, I might make an exception in this case.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:57:23 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 12:38:41 pm »
Can be a little steep of a learning curve as Elite Dangerous packs a lot into it from a simulation perspective.  I play on the Xbox with a HOTAS.   Not sure that I would like it as much on an arcade cabinet.  Great game and somewhat reminiscent of playing Wing Commander or Privateer way back when.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:30:30 am »
Bought a couple months ago for $10 and haven't played yet.  :(