Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CNC Cabinet build from Classic Arcade Cabinet plan. HELP !  (Read 6544 times)

Denicio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 03:13:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CNC Cabinet build from Classic Arcade Cabinet plan. HELP !
« on: November 09, 2020, 11:31:08 am »
I have found a local CNC shop to cut me a cabinet for a reasonable price.

NOW…here is where my OCD brain locks up.

Looking at these plans I see Mrs Pac Man at 85% accuracy with NO ONE having cut a cab from the design.

https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/ms-pacman.html

This Galaga cab has had a cab cut and is at 92% accurate…BUT the ..crv “Does not create tool paths” which I have NO idea what that means.

https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/galaga.html

I plan on using THIS control panel which I have been told by Steve requires a Midway/Namco cabinet. 

https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/520/multicade-upright-panel-complete-trackball.htm

So my questions are:
1.   Which plan from this site would you feel most comfortable going with?
2.   Isnt the Pac Man, Mrs Pac Man and Galaga cabs all the same?
3.   Do I need ‘Tool Paths” for a CNC woodshop to do their job?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: CNC Cabinet build from Classic Arcade Cabinet plan. HELP !
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 01:15:41 pm »
I wouldnt worry about those percent ratings, they start out low as new files, generally they are stitched scans that will lose a couple percentage points because of size, not usually a problem, build what you want...I am not a CNC girl and usually would print that on transfer tape and plot cut it as low adhesion stickers, I do that for allowances on modified cab designs and generally not necessary, but ya, tool paths for CNC.

Denicio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 03:13:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 02:58:17 pm »
I wouldnt worry about those percent ratings, they start out low as new files, generally they are stitched scans that will lose a couple percentage points because of size, not usually a problem, build what you want...I am not a CNC girl and usually would print that on transfer tape and plot cut it as low adhesion stickers, I do that for allowances on modified cab designs and generally not necessary, but ya, tool paths for CNC.

Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply.

Bonecollektor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 07:13:29 am
  • It's time to kickass and chew bubblegum...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 07:45:19 am »
The crv file could be a format used by Vcarve Pro, Aspire, or something similar.
For instance, if I design something in Vcarve Pro I have to setup how I want the machine to cut the material (type of bit, speed, where to cut - on the line, outside the line etc..- and some other parameters. When I'm satisfied with everything I then export the file to gcode. There are other formats a cnc can use so you might ask your cnc shop what format they prefer.
They might even be able to just use the crv file and set up the cut the way they want.
Let me know if you have any other questions. 👍🏻