Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pixel and frequency perfect NTSC emulation on CRT TV  (Read 1611 times)

robsmashed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2021, 10:24:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Pixel and frequency perfect NTSC emulation on CRT TV
« on: November 08, 2020, 01:04:33 pm »
Hello everybody,
I am fairly new in the world of arcade emulation and I'm probably missing something obvious.

I use GroovyArcade on my pc to which I connected a DisplayPort LCD monitor and a CRT TV (configured as an NTSC TV), my goal is to play with the NES (U) roms having an image and frequency identical to what I would have with a NES NTSC plugged in. The point is that I just can't figure out how to get this fidelity by starting the rom from AdvanceMENU Plus (and therefore from NESTopia) or from Attract Mode (and therefore from mednafen).

From what I understand I just need to set the resolution I want on Xorg and the frontend through switchres will try to start the emulator at that resolution, is that correct? I have tried several resolutions but I never get the result I want, for example the scanlines are always missing. Right now my intent is to play a specific NES game but this problem is general, for example a PS1 NTSC game (setting a resolution of 320x240 @ 60hz on Xorg) does not have the same image with scanlines that I would have on my real PS1 with the same NTSC game.

Thank you

robsmashed

• Offline Offline
Re: Pixel and frequency perfect NTSC emulation on CRT TV
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 04:44:26 am »
Nobody? What would be the practice? What resolution should I set on Xorg to have an image faithful to a NES NTSC? Or a PS1 NTSC?

silmalik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2022, 09:08:13 am
    • Mednafen emu4crt mod
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 06:34:28 am »
Hi robsmashed,

I'm no expert of Groovyarcade, but game resolution is a matter of emulator. So, you should probably have a look on emulator configuration.

NES games uses 256x240 video mode, so you'd better use a 256 multiply width (256x240, 512x240, etc..).

robsmashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 06:57:34 am »
Hmm, switchres switches to the resolution I set for Xorg, so the emulator starts with that resolution. Best I can do in emulator settings is selecting 1:1 for aspect ratio and scaling.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 03:26:59 am »
A few things to know :
- it all depends on the emulator you use. Mame can émulateur the nes I guess, so there would be no particular setting to do, just configure the frontend
- don't think "i need to set this resolution to play this system". This depends on several cases -> does the emulator natively handle switchres ? (Most chances are no unless you use mame as of today) ? Does this console have in game resolutions switches ? That's the case of psx. If my emulator can't switch to a good resolution, how to do that then ? Easy : launch the emulator using switchres. Switchres will set the required resolution then launch the emulator.