Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for Pi Zero image that behaves like 60 in 1  (Read 7365 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
Looking for Pi Zero image that behaves like 60 in 1
« on: November 01, 2020, 08:41:01 am »
Trying to figure out what to get my father for Christmas.  He likes playing the cab I built for my nephew, but his mind is starting to go.
Any menu or bootup sequence beyond a basic list of games is going to be too much for him.
He remembers how to play the early 80's games, but is not going to remember how to do anything new.

He also turns things off by unplugging them, so a boot down process is too much as well.
(Every time he watches TV he has to wait for the satellite box to go through setup process because he unplugged it the previous time he was finished with it.)

I have an unused Pi Zero.  It already has retropie installed, but I haven't messed with it in years.  I was considering making a standalone control panel for him that plugs into the TV, but it needs to boot straight to a list of games which I've included roms for and nothing else.

Anyone have a Pi Zero image already set up to work that way?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:44:43 am by BadMouth »

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Looking for Pi Zero image that behaves like 60 in 1
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 09:27:08 pm »
Sounds like the safest route would be just to build a supergun for an actual 60-in-1. That harsh powerdown is going to kill the sd card in a pi zero no matter what you do.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 04:58:02 pm »
Thanks.  I'll try to think of something else for him.

Vocalitus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 10:42:08 am »
Build your dad a Lack arcade.  You can set the pizero for read only so powering off is easy or use a simple command in the config file:  dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown,active_low=0 and he can have a switch to power the unit  off or hit an admin button wired to the Gpio pin 5 and 6 I believe.  The pizero is not powerful enough for arcade gaming, maybe Atari 2600 type games or NES but that is it.  Get PI 2A for $25 or a 3B.  Target has them on clearance.  But if you have to and use the pizero there is a dedicated image from CASTLE on a site I cannot mention due to Rule 5, that works great running retropie and all you need to do is have it open on favorites or FBA on start.

My brother is the same, very technical intolerant, I made him a Lack table, and it surprisingly is still in his house.  You want something simple and accessible for casual play, but is not complicated or looks complicated.

Make sure the table is bland in color like a black or white depending of his home decor.

You might need a demo Lack table for getting the cutting right.  I got a $5 4:3 TV which solved a bunch of problems for sound.
But you are a veteran BYOAC'er.  You got this.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 11:16:24 am »
For what you are wanting the actual 60 in 1 makes more sense -- Since it will not get corrupted by the power down and it's doubtful he'll notice the emulation problems on them - any pi or pc build is going to eventually wind up with problems that require maintenance or troubleshooting.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 08:15:21 pm »
For what you are wanting the actual 60 in 1 makes more sense -- Since it will not get corrupted by the power down and it's doubtful he'll notice the emulation problems on them - any pi or pc build is going to eventually wind up with problems that require maintenance or troubleshooting.

he could also build a dos box with an old copy of advmame.
you can yank the plug on that.
you can also run it on 95% of the PC's found in someone's basement.

or you can just get a 60 in 1.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 01:35:48 am »

Not really you can have the pi read only or put a power switch, which will power down the pi and not touch the SD Card.  60-1?  Yuck!  At least with the Pi you can see the original rom and not a butchered version. 

Heck you can cut the power on a original xbox and it will keep booting and playing after 15 years..  :lol
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 01:37:52 am by Vocalitus »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 11:33:26 am »
I can get a 60 in 1 delivered from a major retailer in 2 hours for $35 here.

:dunno

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 01:13:46 am »
Like Vocalitus said you can set an SD image to read only or even just boot from a USB with no SD at all with a RPi 4.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 11:21:54 am »
I've played with my Pi a fair bit.

If all you want is 60in1, that's gonna be easiest. Pi has much more potential but you need to put some leg work in. If you tinker lots it may be beneficial as you'll learn lots of things that apply to stuff outside arcade projects. It's not perfect and not exactly guaranteed to be set and forget.

60in1 sounds like it'll be harder to screw up, and if it's wired for Jamma in the cabinet I feel like there is added value.