Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jennifer has issues  (Read 14977 times)

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:00:54 am
Re: Jennifer has issues
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2021, 12:33:28 pm »
If anyone is curious, Those Star Wars templates as a print are massive and complex, and came out as a 3 layer file on 6 sheets... came in at 500.00 out the door and onto the workbench. The physical width will have to be adjusted depending on monitor choice, but that can be done later.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:47:08 pm by jennifer »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:08:47 am
  • I'm TRYing to build arcade controls!
« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2021, 11:44:28 pm »
Forgive me if my memory has gone, but I imagine this must be a cockpit cabinet that you are talking about?

I REALLY would like to make one of those one day
Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2021, 12:26:33 am »
Yes, Guess earlier in this thread while thinking out loud I was talking about a upright, but yes this wound up being the cockpit...It's basically a low tac (with transfer tape) sticker set for making templates at this point, it wasn't as cheap as I hoped, but it is a big cab, and thats only 75.00 (x 6) a sheet or whatever, so that seems fair.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #363 on: February 23, 2021, 12:29:44 am »
Come to find out, there is some interesting construction tactics used on that cab, that would be tricky to duplicate...Luckily I need to modify it some anyway for the bigger monitor and be less space themed and a little more WW1.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2021, 08:42:09 pm »
A while back I had stumbled onto a thread where someone very thoroughly documented a near complete disassembly of an original Star Wars cockpit.

I even pulled the whole thing onto my laptop so I could have it for when I had time and space to make one.

And then the laptop died- with no backup of that drive.
No clue now where I had found it either.

:angry:
Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2021, 09:31:26 pm »
I have seen that thread, it is here at the Byoac, and he did a nice job of the documentation for what he could, that canopy is like a triple clad mess he was having trouble getting apart for measuring and wound up being some curve math guesswork at the end I believe.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:34:15 pm by jennifer »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:24:50 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #366 on: February 23, 2021, 11:02:22 pm »
A while back I had stumbled onto a thread where someone very thoroughly documented a near complete disassembly of an original Star Wars cockpit.

I even pulled the whole thing onto my laptop so I could have it for when I had time and space to make one.

And then the laptop died- with no backup of that drive.
No clue now where I had found it either.

:angry:
Here are a few places to look.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Star_Wars_Cockpit
- Has links to several related threads.

modessitt - FINALLY! Star Wars Cockpit Measurements
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,66626.0.html
- Pretty sure this is the main thread for measurements.

Level42 - Star Wars Cockpit......SHE LIVES !!!!!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,68094.0.html
- On page 9 there are clarifications for several measurements, and there are back door measurements on pg 10.
- Looks like most of the pictures were hosted on another site, are no longer available from that site, and weren't captured by archive.org.   :banghead:
- Hopefully Level42 still has copies of them.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #367 on: February 23, 2021, 11:42:34 pm »
In anguish once a little while back I searched for this again and came up empty...

So why wouldn't it be Scott who can pull that up almost immediately of course?!
 :lol

Thank you kind sir.  :cheers:

Now that I see it again, I had found the last one you note (from a fan of one of my favorite bands I imagine) and also found the lack of pics disheartening.

If I get to build all the machines I would like to at this point it will require an outbuilding to house them all !
Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2021, 12:29:18 am »
Yes thats the one I was thinking of, Thx Scott...As for building cabs Bobby, I don't know how many you have actually done, but they get easier after every one and you start to learn the tricks of doing multiple builds...It does take alot of physical work however, to the point of exhaustion (in my case anyway) not really a weekend warrior thing but up day and night 24/7, a lifestyle...So with that on mind, it is best to do the dangerous things like tablesaws, and routers early in the day before you get really tired...Safety first.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:50:24 am by jennifer »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:30:02 am
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2021, 07:48:50 am »
...So with that on mind, it is best to do the dangerous things like tablesaws, and routers early in the day before you get really tired...Safety first.
Same here. I try to get my tablesaw and router work finished by 9am
Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2021, 12:27:31 pm »
...So with that on mind, it is best to do the dangerous things like tablesaws, and routers early in the day before you get really tired...Safety first.
Same here. I try to get my tablesaw and router work finished by 9am

I have so much crap going on that needs to happen while the sun is up that I rarely get to begin working on arcade fun until after 8 pm!
 :lol
Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2021, 12:58:06 pm »
Well in interest of multiple projects, Jenn may be a bit out in left field...I actually have a triple digit collection, (over 100 machines) and since there are only 52 weeks in a year, we'll you can do the math, But it comes down to long days, multiple day binging sometimes, and requires little to no sleep to work on such a collection (again a lifestyle).

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: February 24, 2021, 04:33:14 pm »
Wish I had that much space (never mind the time!)

At this point I only (only- haha!) have two Rush 2049 sit down cabs (one completely disassembled because it was thrashed and the other in one piece but plays blind currently) and 3 other scratch builds in various states of completeness.

That modest amount consumes all free time as it is!!
 :o
Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2021, 04:52:32 pm »
What you got there sounds like a handful already...All I am saying is they will consume your life, Time, space, money,, and in extreme circumstances even relationships if you let it.

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2021, 05:24:34 pm »
With my Lady, I've started calling my workshop area "The Lab", to reflect that clever and innovative things go on there as well.

Having said that, The Lab is a fkn mess and busy trying to clean and sort ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out again, now that earlier mentioned carpenter has finally re-made the shelves I actually asked him to make (smaller, shorter, simpler, no filling at back, fits in closet!).

Chippie tried to price-in the extra work he'd done (knew he would), but I said NO and just gave him fair price for what I ordered. I moan about this guy's inability to follow a plan, but appreciate his ability to eyeball something simple and pump it out. So I've got him making wooden toilet roll holders now (we have 10 bathrooms here).

And I DO appreciate the shelves. Stacking stuff in there now, claiming the floor of The Lab back.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2021, 05:32:52 pm »
IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE !!!!...lol...All that extra floor space, Little jelious.

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2021, 05:49:37 pm »
IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE !!!!...lol...All that extra floor space, Little jelious.

"So, come up to The Lab... and see what's on the Slab. I see you quiver with antici..."

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2021, 07:08:53 pm »
So, I cleared away the boxes on the floor but I still can't find the new coil for my Stihl FS-44 brushcutter... ordered this 6 months ago but never got around to getting it fitted.

EDIT: just as I was thinking that my eyes randomly sat on a random plastic bag on another shelf. The coil!

The new coil isn't original, so see how that goes. Original part is rare as hen's teeth, just buy a new brushcutter. Now, I've played with motors a lot and I could try to fit it myself, can't be that hard... or I could take it into town and the guy there will do it for me for <$10. I'm thinking to let the guy do it for me because he'll have experience as well.

So when it comes to choices I'm not so sure. In Australia I'd do it myself, costs too much to take it to the shop. Shop guy too expensive, I would gain some experience. But in Thailand where the labour cost is low is not so clear, choice is more like 50/50.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2021, 07:52:47 pm »
Well, That could go either way I supose, But cheap labor wouldn't instill much confidence speaking candidly...As someone who tears things, apart, Everything new and old, working or not have come to find over the years that experience doesn't necessarily equal quality crasftmanship...Not quite sure what a brush cutter is offhand, but it does sound as if it would require some level of precision.

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #379 on: February 24, 2021, 08:06:56 pm »
The labour quote <$10 isn't cheap, fair priced. Local economy. They do this kind of stuff all day. If I was paying more I'd be getting ripped off.

You are quite right that experience does not necessarily equate to quality. I see bodgy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- all the time. Take this brushcutter for example, one time I took it to that shop for some work, used it for 45 minutes and had to stop because the housing was falling off. They hadn't done the screws up properly, they came loose and dropped off behind me. As you can imagine, finding three missing screws in several hundred square meters of freshly-cut formerly 60cm+ grass was a challenge. We found two.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2021, 12:22:50 am »
The labour quote <$10 isn't cheap, fair priced. Local economy. They do this kind of stuff all day. If I was paying more I'd be getting ripped off.

You are quite right that experience does not necessarily equate to quality. I see bodgy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- all the time. Take this brushcutter for example, one time I took it to that shop for some work, used it for 45 minutes and had to stop because the housing was falling off. They hadn't done the screws up properly, they came loose and dropped off behind me. As you can imagine, finding three missing screws in several hundred square meters of freshly-cut formerly 60cm+ grass was a challenge. We found two.

I hesitate to let ANYone touch most of my stuff at this point.
And it's not that I believe I am the best at anything or that I am super cheap or a control freak either.

It used to be that I was too broke to be able to afford most repair and maintenance work.
Hence the jack of many trades, master of none thing.

Now it is more that Hawai'i is rife with incompetence I suppose, and that I value what stuff I have presently.

Why'd you kick me?
Where's your brain?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #381 on: March 04, 2021, 12:43:18 pm »
It has been brought to my attention in recent days, some around here think Jennifer is ridiculous and doesn't even have any games at all or whatever, (Yes I don't get it either) However that creates a problem...The Templates for the Star Wars cockpit showed up today, hot off the press, And I was getting really excited to do a build thread on this, however...It is not going to be documented here at the BYOAC, in fact the 27" color vector part of it either, That has already been moved to a private build group. Sorry guys, I am just as disappointed...This one is just for the girls.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:17:44 am
  • card carrying purist
« Reply #382 on: March 04, 2021, 12:58:39 pm »
Because that makes much more sense than just posting some pics to shut up anyone who doubts you.

What is the purpose of posting the fact that you are not going to post?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:26:02 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #383 on: March 04, 2021, 01:38:25 pm »
Ill donate $10 to charity if she actually posts pics of this project.  You choose the one, Jennifer.

Extraordinary claims require pics or gtfo

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:53:01 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #384 on: March 04, 2021, 01:43:59 pm »
Ill donate $10 to charity if she actually posts pics of this project.  You choose the one, Jennifer.
Ill do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:02:15 am
« Reply #385 on: March 04, 2021, 01:46:38 pm »
Because that makes much more sense than just posting some pics to shut up anyone who doubts you.

What is the purpose of posting the fact that you are not going to post?

Its because he/she craves the attention.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: March 04, 2021, 02:00:40 pm »
No, it is because some around here were interested in it, Just wanted to give the update now that the Templates arrived.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:17:44 am
  • card carrying purist
« Reply #387 on: March 04, 2021, 02:07:04 pm »
Why would anyone be interested in a project that you won't let them see?

How long do we have to put up with this?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #388 on: March 04, 2021, 02:08:55 pm »
Now shes denying $20 to charity.

:cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #389 on: March 04, 2021, 02:09:42 pm »
Were more interested in seeing you prove youre not a liar.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2021, 04:35:31 pm »
This has been in the planning stages for quite some time, Dont know what planet you drunken trolls are from, but a scratch built Star Wars cab is kind of a big deal in my neighborhood, You think I wasn't going to document that? You guys may even be dumber than I think you are...Thanks for all the help.

Zebidee

• Online Online
« Reply #391 on: March 04, 2021, 04:48:38 pm »
It has been brought to my attention in recent days, some around here think Jennifer is ridiculous and doesn't even have any games at all or whatever, (Yes I don't get it either) However that creates a problem...The Templates for the Star Wars cockpit showed up today, hot off the press, And I was getting really excited to do a build thread on this, however...It is not going to be documented here at the BYOAC, in fact the 27" color vector part of it either, That has already been moved to a private build group. Sorry guys, I am just as disappointed...This one is just for the girls.

Nevermind the under bridge-dwellers. Planning to commercialize?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #392 on: March 04, 2021, 04:55:04 pm »
Hey guys, I have this cool new project that has been in the works for a looooooong time, involving many people. But I can't show it to you.  Believe me, it's so real.  :lol

Pop another oxycontin, Jenny.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2021, 05:24:43 pm »
No, it is because some around here were interested in it, Just wanted to give the update now that the Templates arrived.
So document your build here. Why do you care what people think? If anything, documenting your build will answer their questions.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: March 04, 2021, 09:00:58 pm »
That's quite true, and in the case PBJ, he even was helpful in my last build.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:17:45 pm by jennifer »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #395 on: March 04, 2021, 09:25:02 pm »
That's quite true, and in the case PBJ, he even was helpful in my last build.
Were ALL helpful. Rebuilding a Star Wars cockpit would be awesome. Wed all like to see it.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #396 on: March 04, 2021, 09:31:36 pm »
Well it is not a rebuild, a scratch build...Wicked ugly from a build perspective, I can see why few have ever tackled one, and why there is so little information available.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:33:46 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #397 on: March 04, 2021, 09:37:21 pm »
 Z/dee, And Bobby have been helping too...Just saying.😉
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:30:46 pm by jennifer »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2021, 12:14:33 am »
We eagerly await your build thread with photos.

:cheers:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2021, 01:14:34 am »
It is hard to say no to you and Yots at the same time...Well, I will try, and I am not saying that as a lie or whatever, I am saying that because I ran into a problem with my templates after trying all day to line them up, They are actually for a CNC and there are two sided cuts, triple panels and multiple angle corner bevels...There is remarkably little information on this cab, and I don't have a reference, It is crazy intense as a build goes and ridiculously expensive, and consequently quite slow because I am not a rich girl...And If that is not enough, I will have to make a few modifications to it since the ultimate goal is a big screen Red Baron...And the monitor project is already in a private build group which kind of takes that out of my hands as far as credit and ultimate design goes, I really want water cooled HOT transistors and processor but already been told that's unessary (we shall see 😒), And may have to modifiy a Battle zone AUX. Let me get some things in order and we will Start a thread do the templates and see how this goes.