Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jennifer has issues  (Read 75073 times)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:52:37 pm
Re: Jennifer has issues
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2021, 04:58:43 am »
And this is today's project - fitting a relay to my vertical cab so I only have to press one momentary button for everything to start.

cheap chinese relay doesn't have mounting holes, so I had to improvise with scrap wood and zip ties.
Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2021, 04:59:18 am »
Great insulator I suppose!  :lol
Then again I'm not sure most people have otherwise beautiful slabs of... merbau? at their disposal for project beds.

I'm happy that your soldering is far nicer than mine.

:applaud:
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2021, 05:51:13 am »
Local hardwood - I know the Thai name but not the farang name. We bought out all remaining stock at the local sawmill (it was closing) before we built our house(s) on this land. Still a lot left, but all small pieces. Also I rarely throw out offcuts, so often have bits of scrap around.

We got lucky. Thailand used to have lots of wood but all the easily available stuff is now gone, and most of what is left is protected within National Parks.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2021, 12:01:32 am »
Well I'm happy right now - my relay based power to vertical cab works! Worked first time even! Actually no, worked 2nd time. I thought the 5v relay signal pin needed to be pulled high, but apparently it likes being pulled low (GND).

One switch (PC power on) to rule them all...

Put a PC-style power inlet at the back as well, so I can use PC power cords and remove them as necessary. No need to worry about stashing power cables!

Got Loewe TV to automatically turn on once power applied by putting a 100uF capacitor across a momentary switch built into the power button. I've spent ages trying to get it to turn on automatically via service menu etc, no luck. turns out a capacitor worth a few cents does the trick.

Other than the 5v relay that came by courier (~60 cents each), everything I used came from ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- already in my shed except for 1 thing - I had to get a 10A fuse from local shop for the power inlet, price ~20 cents.

Overall this project has cost me less than $1 if you exclude cost of stuff I had anyway, but even then total cost well under $10

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2021, 10:48:49 pm »
Thank you for your kind words Jenn. I'm not always the smartest person in the room, but sometimes I can be very creative.

Unfortunately my cleverness has undone me - I have a nice power button to use and drilled a hole, only to realise the shaft is a tiny bit too short for the locking ring to screw on. I could router out behind but there is a CRT in the way. So I have a hole to fill (fortunately at back so not very visible) and back to using a standard arcade button for power on/off which is not very satisfactory but will have to do for now.

Must be nice to have a new stove in the middle of winter. Does that exhaust fan go anywhere?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2021, 12:50:16 am »
Very nice. As always just very slightly jelly of your metalworking skills, but mostly just impressed.

After I went and lay down my head for 30 minutes and ate some breakfast, the solution to my button woes appeared in my mind.

Located a NOS degaussing button recovered from old arcade machine long ago. It is bright red, momentary, with a reasonably firm pressing action, ~1/2 inch or 13mm square at front and the shaft behind is only just over 10mm wide.

Then dug out an arcade button blank (that they use to fill unused holes with) and drilled a hole in the middle for the degauss button. Mounted button into the blank and viola! My arcade now has a decent on/off button.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2021, 12:54:14 am »
I can't help myself - keep pressing the button to turn my cab on and off. Wheeeee!  :dizzy:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2021, 02:33:49 am »
We have a lot of wood even nicer than that through the entire place here. Got a lot of furniture out of it too. Used all the big pieces from the sawmill buyout. Still have a 4m x 8m shed full of smaller pieces.

Reminds me, better finish this project off and go find my carpenter. He's useless at making arcade cabs (or anything else to a plan) but is good at making chunky furniture out of undressed/poorly dressed timber.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2021, 03:44:58 am »
Adding to my dramas, the switch turned out to be faulty. Connection plate inside was loose and moving around, giving false presses. Luckily I had another almost identical switch, though this one is black. It looks a bit rougher than the red one, but I think I like black better.

Please excuse how skanky the area around the switch looks - it is at the back, so not visible normally. I will clean up the whole area again soon, but first I need to bog up a couple of things. Then a repaint.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:48:25 am by Zebidee »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2021, 06:22:12 pm »
I got myself a Aoyue soldering/desoldering station (it has both) last year and it is pretty useful. Keeping it clean and sucking properly is the trick. That Hakko one looks nicer (and more expensive of course), I like the transparent waste chamber so you can see if it is full and working properly.

Hot air also works well for desoldering ICs esp SMD stuff where suction won't help much.

I also still use a hand/manual solder pump sometimes, even with the desoldering station. There is a trick, a timing to using it properly and yes they get clogged very easily, but great for removing solder blobs. The action can be a bit violent, so take care with sensitive parts. Is easy to burn the tip with your iron as you need them pretty close to manage the swap n suck motion, but my solder pump still has the same tip from over 10 years ago.

Not really fond of solder wick, though sometimes there is no other choice. Have ripped a few pads/traces off by accident with it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:32:42 pm by Zebidee »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2021, 03:50:58 am »
I still use the good old wet rag sometimes. Like getting the tip right in there.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2021, 04:24:52 am »
So anyway I'm using the Aoyue Int701A++ Repairing System for desktop detailed stuff. I think the extra + at end simply relates to input voltage rating (220-240v vs 100-120v). There are some decent reviews of it on the 'tube.

Still use a cheap iron from local shop for general work outnabout.

Using a XXX 858D hot air gun - the XXX is because there are many ripoff copies out there I don't even know what the letters originally were. Mine says JCD 858D. Anyway, it was cheap and good value for the money. Dave of EEVblog fame does a review. I find it useful for SMD soldering as well as desoldering.

Dave from EEVblog also did a video of a bloke who had one of these things melt down on him. The lesson from that is to make sure you've reseated the gun in the cradle properly when you've finished with it, otherwise the magnetic trigger inside doesn't register that you've finished, and stop heating/blow more air to cool itself down.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2021, 05:07:58 pm »
Weird thing about EEVblog Dave and those 2 videos - in 2012 he did a review of the XXX-858D where he pulled it apart. Then in 2018 he did the XXX-858D meltdown video, but seemed to have completely forgotten pulling one apart 6 years previously, not apparently not knowing what to expect when he pulled it apart 2nd time. Guess it is easy to forget stuff over 6 years or so.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2021, 06:34:26 pm »
Always hard to move from build-mode to code-mode

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2021, 07:11:54 pm »
Which brings me to 2nd mod (besides giant color vector tube)...Stereo, That game is a bit generic with its sounds, But pinsound (Stereo) also has support for a shaker motor, and with triggers for flashing under dash lights, getting shot out the sky will be quite traumatic...This will be more difficult than it sounds, since that Atari board is aparently set up as silos of events, and will need pointers to be modified.

Not that I know enough presently anyway, but...

I REALLY wanna make me some big color vector CRT
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2021, 09:30:19 pm »
Bobby, might be of interest to you: Vector monitor kit project https://www.facebook.com/groups/280646265896719

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2021, 12:05:12 am »
Bobby, might be of interest to you: Vector monitor kit project https://www.facebook.com/groups/280646265896719

Now THAT is something I can get into mister!

And thank you also Jennifer, I'll be looking through the pile of screens I have to find the right one for the project.

The vector only machine will be the next big leap (already have a good control panel layout- but probably going to have to build the proper twin joysticks myself I think.)

Yeehaw!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2021, 06:41:19 pm »
It'd be cool to have, and 25" is plenty for most people

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2021, 11:23:18 pm »
I look forward to learning the mythical sorcery part!

But I have a long list of critical stuff up at the ranch that needs to happen first!
Finish 10,000 gallon aquaponics system
Build out in the in-laws addition
Finish siding and composting toilet for workshop/loft
Build garage for lawn and garden crap (to clear out my workshop finally!)
Third goat shelter
Cage for in ground vegetable garden
PV system for the whole circus
etc etc etc
I'll be pushing up daisies (or here, bananas?) before this place is done

27" seems to be the largest comfortable for standard cabinet dimensions, except for maybe a sit down driver/cockpit of some sort.
25" horizontal should be big enough for a vector only machine I think (I don't want Tempest to look stupid mostly!)

I am guilty of having hoarded every CRT that I come across and not even firing up half of them to see if they work.
Not sure even what sizes or angle tubes they are really.

I do have a 36" Trinitron that needs to be plugged into my GreenAntz when I can get an hour to devote to it!  I think I have 6 Sonys actually.
Oh, to have the time I really want in life...

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2021, 01:20:25 am »
I do have a 36" Trinitron that needs to be plugged into my GreenAntz when I can get an hour to devote to it!  I think I have 6 Sonys actually.
Oh, to have the time I really want in life...

I'm already grateful for your support of the GreenAntz project Bobby, and I'll be gushingly grateful if you can find the time to test out and report ... more testing, especially by people who are not me, always a good thing.

It should work interchangeably with your other RGB 15khz displays, just plug it in. In general, if you have a PC already setup for an RGB arcade monitor or TV, it should also work with GreenAntz to component TV (so long as you don't use composite sync from CRT_emulator. GreenAntz is deliberately designed for H+V sync - the default - and doesn't like composite sync input because GreenAntz has its own circuit to combine the sync). 

I'm always here to help as much as I can too, just PM me or post.

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2021, 04:12:34 pm »
I am guilty of having hoarded every CRT that I come across and not even firing up half of them to see if they work.

Me too. Looking to get rid of some now actually. Mostly less desirable stuff like a non-moddable Sanyo.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2021, 05:05:52 pm »
I would never junk a CRT that still works. I will give them away to people who can use them for games.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2021, 11:05:17 pm »
Better yet, make it something that you can continue to convert to all kinds of stuff in the future!
I love the idea of utilitarian builds- and a vector is a great platform I would think.

And Princess Jennifer my dear, if you stumble on any Paperboy yoke parts in your digging around in the cold cellar I know someone who would buy some handlebar parts  ;)
I've been trying to scrounge parts to build a controller for a while now.

I actually WAS a paperboy when that machine was released!
Never forget the first time I saw that at Milford Rec in CT.

Appropriately, I blew a lot of the paper route money on it.   :lol

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2021, 02:22:49 am »
Ahhh...
The Evening Sentinel !
Talk about jobs that have disappeared since my childhood-

And the things I wish I had pictures of (like me on my Diamond Back with that dingy orange newspaper bag slung over my shoulder) so that the kids had even more things to laugh at me about.

The paper route proceeds that I didn't pump into machines went into that bike (and passes to the roller skating rink in Orange, CT now that I really think about it.)

Oh, and cassette tapes

Comic books too-
 :laugh2:

Appreciate the thought on paperboy parts!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2021, 04:02:45 am »
Jenn you should sell the Star Wars stuff if you don't want it, seems to be some interest out there.

Here's a Star Wars yoke (joke) for you.

My daughter approaches me with wide eyes and, with a deep serious voice, says "You are my father!"

My response: "NOOOOOOOooooooooo..... Oh hang on, yeah you're right!"

Dad jokes, gotta love 'em.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2021, 12:47:50 am »
Ahhh...
The Evening Sentinel !
Talk about jobs that have disappeared since my childhood-

And the things I wish I had pictures of (like me on my Diamond Back with that dingy orange newspaper bag slung over my shoulder) so that the kids had even more things to laugh at me about.

The paper route proceeds that I didn't pump into machines went into that bike (and passes to the roller skating rink in Orange, CT now that I really think about it.)

Oh, and cassette tapes

Comic books too-
 :laugh2:

Appreciate the thought on paperboy parts!
I haven't heard about Diamondback bikes for seems a hundred years, My brother had one (he mowed lawns) and that thing was like 500.00 dollars back in the day, that would be like 1500.00 today I am thinking with inflation, He always had it tore apart, and hanging in the garage, talking about mag wheels he never seemed to afford, and wheeling and dealing parts...Me, well never really had a bike, but did buy a fancy skateboard (somebody stole it) but I would go down to the skatepark and peek through the fence wanting to try all that fun stuff, I never learned to ride...Until last summer, I built another board and went on a skate every state tour, I finally learned to ride (lost a tooth in the process, and had to get a inplant) but ride it I did, I went coast to coast skating random places and hit most states anyway.

I caught that tour!
We have some good parks out here it appears, but I am too old and fragile (or wise?!) to think I should be playing in them.
I didn't start skating until after I was a snowboarder and then a surfer too- like about 23.  I quit skating before I was 30 due to the regular injuries!

Was keeping me out of the water a little too often.

Wouldn't it be easier to just build a power supply for that monster you are planning?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2021, 07:19:44 am »
I used to roller-blade, but hurt my back. Then I got into swimming because it helped my back, and eventually gave up roller-blading as my bones get stiffer as I get older.

As it turned out, I'm really good at swimming and was even training with the Aussie Masters team (like Olympics for old people) at one point, but I never wanted to compete. Qualified as a swim teacher not long ago, just to add to my skillset and options. However, hacking arcade cabs and electronics are proving to be more than enough to keep me busy.

Next month the weather will be good enough to get into the pool regularly again, which will make my pooh-bear tummy a little tighter and me happier. Which makes now a great time to be finishing off that vertical cab and getting back to my Aussie lowboy. I have the raw shell done in 3/4 inch plywood, metal control panel blank cut and CRT mounted, but project has been idle about 2 years.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2021, 02:56:16 am »
I would think there had been a metric crap ton of those later Asteroids machines to pick from.

Isn't re-winding any transformer, yoke or otherwise just being able to stay focused long enough to count properly all the way through?
 ;)
I imagine there is a pattern to how you fill an item up but that shouldn't be too hard to sort out I would think.

Maybe sourcing the right gauge wire (with the proper insulation on it?) is hard?

I'm looking forward to this whole technique since I want to build a vector monitor and would like to know how it all works.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2021, 08:43:16 am »
Wire quality is something worth getting wound up about.  :droid

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2021, 10:20:45 am »
I cut my teeth pulling apart minis, and even putting them back together. The older, cooler ones.

For some reason big dudes always get into minis. They pack a lot of crap in a small space, always difficult to work on because there is always something else in the way.

Once I pulled apart the carburettor on my Datsun 120Y to clean it, must've been 100 little parts. Cleaned it, put it back together, had 2 parts left over. But the darn thing worked and worked better than ever. So I just shrugged and popped it back on. This was in the days before we all had digital cameras to take photos before taking stuff apart.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2021, 06:05:58 pm »
Jenn, it is the centipedes I worry about the most. I was bitten on the left heel few years ago.

The pain was completely indescribable, there are no words, no world left except the world of pain. Their venom is a powerful neurotoxin. Local hospital completely useless, just get a big bag of ice and a few bottles of cheap whiskey and hang on for the wild ride as it takes about 24 hours of hell before the pain starts to lessen.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2021, 06:47:47 pm »
Z/Dee...my 74LS chips for that pod build are aparently coming from Thailand, It is a company I have never dealt with before From Australia, I believe, (Furturlec) but the chips are coming from just down your road...(* Secretly hoping there is not a snake or some spiders in that box 😳).

Futurlec... Aussie based but offices in Bangkok, NY, London. Thanks for mentioning them, as interested in finding a more local company that does PCB printing/assembly.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2021, 03:52:50 pm »
 :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:31:54 pm by jennifer »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2021, 05:07:56 pm »
Well, I am saying anything good or bad about them, they just happened to have what I need, and decided to give them a try...The reviews are not favorable I will say...Hopefully all goes well, since I do like there site, as it is easy to navigate, and aparently they got contacts and offices all over the world.

Kinda like dealing with Suzo Happ then?!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2021, 09:04:28 pm »
Only real bummer for me with Happ is their shipping situation.

Not only is it a mystery cost until they bill you, they won't ship USPS which means I am primed for getting cornholed because every other means of shipping stuff to me is prohibitively expensive.

I know they are not set up to deal with little crap like me/mine, but their customer service could probably use a little help.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2021, 10:10:17 pm »
International shipping is very hit-and-miss at the moment because of COVID mostly.

Sent some parcels out before New Year and they all sat around in Bangkok for over a week. Stuff I sent to Australia 5 weeks ago arrived in country, but just sitting in a depot somewhere. Stuff I ordered from China 2 months ago still not arrived, boat probably got stuck on an artificial reef in the South China Sea.

Seems to be DHL giving all the grief, which is weird as they were the good ones until now. On the other hand, everything sent to the USA via USPS has been trouble-free.

Let's see how we go with Europe....  :P

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2021, 04:04:43 am »
I still have some original Dick Smith ESR meter and flyback tester kits. Both very unique, useful & time saving diagnostic tools to have in your arcade repair toolbox.

Dick Smith was like Radio Shack in Australia. Clever guy, he made his fortune and wisely sold out a few years before the red ink started leaking and it went bust.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2021, 02:18:59 pm »
Based on a quick search, it looks like negative capacitance research is still in the early stages.

It will probably be years before anyone in this neighborhood works on or attempts to design a circuit with a negative capacitor.

This news release seems to do a good job of explaining how the theory works in just a few pages of text that doesn't read like an electrical engineering textbook.   ;D
https://phys.org/news/2019-04-newly-static-negative-capacitor.html
The researchers found that by pairing a negative capacitor in series with a positive capacitor, they could locally increase the voltage on the positive capacitor to a point higher than the total system voltage. In this way, they could distribute electricity to regions of a circuit requiring higher voltage while operating the entire circuit at lower voltage.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2021, 12:20:54 am »
Looking forward to seeing what you are up to with this!

I have been on a search to build the ultimate 4/8 way switchable with triggers for the vector only machine (which hopefully is next?!)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2021, 01:56:32 am »
I have been on a search to build the ultimate 4/8 way switchable with triggers for the vector only machine (which hopefully is next?!)
If you're wanting to do a good model of BZ/RB-style handles for the 3d printed handle thread here someone will need to take a full set of accurate measurements off an original, including measuring the curved edges using a fillet gauge.

If you don't have a gauge with the correct diameter curve, you can make custom octagonal fillet gauges with the OpenSCAD code here.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2924356

Scott