Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jennifer has issues  (Read 75056 times)

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Jennifer has issues
« on: October 31, 2020, 10:01:05 pm »
 :)

[I removed the other 394 posts in this thread that Jennifer "smileyed out".  It's a bit easier to scroll through without them. -- Scott]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:15:21 am by PL1 »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Jennifer has issues
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 01:09:13 pm »
...it's not an issue... it's fun!

;D

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 10:55:11 am »
Maybe the games would work better if you cleaned them up a bit more.  Try checking the voltage of the PSU.  If you can find it under all that crud.  :lol

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:20:45 pm »
Maybe the games would work better if you cleaned them up a bit more.  Try checking the voltage of the PSU.  If you can find it under all that crud.  :lol
You aint kidding, one of them had mice in it, That is a cleaning that will go deep, They diddnt chew the wire, from what I can see, just made a nest, and stored some corn, I borrowed the random outside cat, for a few days just to make sure I diddnt bring them into the house...For general cleaning I use that cheap spray away foaming glass cleaner in the spray can, it is not harsh or liquid (mostly wet foam) It does a nice job for the initial clean, and cigarette tar, (Not from me, but from bars and such back in the day)...Defender did still work, that was fun.

Get some Irish Spring soap or whatever you have that is equivalent.  Slice the bars into thin strips around and inside the cabs.  They do not like the smell.

I put it in my car engine so the little guys do not chew on my internal wiring.

Edit: Cannot spell today.  Uhh I just did.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:30:34 pm by Vocalitus »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 07:54:55 pm »
For those who don't mind the smell of mint rodents really hate that too!
Never heard of the Irish Spring trick. I'll have to give that a shot.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 05:14:30 pm »
I love reading about all the different things you get up to Jennifer. You are an amazing lady. :applaud:

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 06:07:34 pm »
I could see in the reflection that you were tig-ing. I've never done that. I used to have a largeish mig but it was far too heavy and with the bottle as well it just wasn't practical. Swapped that for a small stick welder (not an inverter though) but that was painful. Swapped that for a small no-name flux core and although I still suck at it I'm getting better.  Sometimes I hit the sweet spot and the weld is beautiful with hardly any splatter. But then the next weld is in the toilet!!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 01:04:05 pm »
I bought a used Lincolin Weldpac 100 a few years ago. got it for super dirt cheap cause the wire wouldn't feed. someone attempted to replace the feed rate pot to try and fix it, no avail.

oddly enough, lincolin used a variable voltage regulator (like a LM317T) to drive the feed motor and it was not outputting anything. threw a new one in there and Bob's your auntie. been good ever since. not bad for $100.25. i figured even if I did have to buy a new board for it for a hundo or something... it was still a pretty decent welder for a decent price since most of this brand where in the 500 to 800+ range new.

at least it's a big name so parts are available for it basically everywhere.

it's got gas input, but all i've ever used is flux cored... so it's kinda what i'm used to (as bad as it is.) one of these days i'll get an argon bottle or something and try it out with some solid core and see how my welds come out. i'm an electronics guy by trade, so this isn't my kind of rodeo...and "grinding and paint make me the welder I ain't" so boogers, flux spatter and mess has been fine for the little crap things I do like fixing the rusty mower deck or tacking on a new exhaust hanger. as long as she holds together right?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 02:09:45 pm »
well said. Especially these days... it's good to diversify your expertise just in case things go down the toilet.

might end up have to weld your car mad max style... be handy to know.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 06:07:50 pm »
Get a GED, you’re worth it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 07:50:25 pm »
I resolved some things like that in my life and wished I had done it sooner.  If I had known how it would feel when it was over, I would have expended 10 times the expense and effort that it actually took.  I won’t browbeat you on this, but I hope you’ll consider it.

:cheers:

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 12:22:01 pm »
Well the point being, I was a tin girl at a very young age, paddling lead with the torch and growing up in a bodyshop, Working street rods, customs, and composites paid extremely well for the day, welding, and shooting candy actually came quite easy, I have made choices in life I do regret sure, but it also made me who I am.

Well in the old days you finished school at 14 and took on an apprentice role.  At the end you had a trade.  A trade is more valuable than a piece of paper worth $100,000.00 and I have three of them.  But when Mad Max time comes around nobody is going to need computers.  A welder is worth their weight in gold.  Good for you Jen.   :applaud:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 12:51:37 pm »
A pictorial view (or walking video!) of your workspace and tool collection would be pretty fun I think.

I look up to (envy!) all who own good welding gear and can use it well.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 07:43:22 pm »
A pictorial view (or walking video!) of your workspace and tool collection would be pretty fun I think.

I would be fun, and quite helpful to everyone involved I would think, Years ago Jenn downsized considerably and sold all my commercial tooling and plating tanks, and ever since I have had a serious space problem and pretty much set up to do a job anymore, thats not fun to watch, since it takes considerable time...However I do have some really curious things that have little to no support on the internet, (vectorscopes, and rejuvenators, oscilloscopes, and now this Fluke project come mind) that really should be shared from a how to standpoint...I will work on that
I was given a nice oscilloscope for free recently- I’d love to learn how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 01:00:20 pm »

I would be fun, and quite helpful to everyone involved I would think, Years ago Jenn downsized considerably and sold all my commercial tooling and plating tanks, and ever since I have had a serious space problem and pretty much set up to do a job anymore, thats not fun to watch, since it takes considerable time...However I do have some really curious things that have little to no support on the internet, (vectorscopes, and rejuvenators, oscilloscopes, and now this Fluke project come mind) that really should be shared from a how to standpoint...I will work on that
I was given a nice oscilloscope for free recently- I’d love to learn how to use it.

Dave over on EEEV blog is your man, He will, tear them down and explain them inside out...You will love that thing, once you get going with it, basicly it is XY, time/volts...And the probes usually x100 to get it down to safe input to scope, (yes add to math, but it is not that hard)...I was deathly afraid of mine at first, diddnt want to blow it up, but come to find out they are cheap as dirt, since few actually understand them anymore.(The analog ones anyway, digital latch are a different story) And for checking random Nos electronics, and input signals (quality), and working on boards... INVALUABLE.
I really learned how to use my probe this summer when I was fixing a Crazy Kong board I screwed up. It was the first time I used one where I felt like I actually knew what I was doing.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 06:34:33 pm »
man, i wish i could afford the 1000 plus buckazoids a modern scope costs... i bought old AF techtronix 454 scope from the 1960's. got it at the government surplus just to have one. 150mhz with no snapshot memory or anything isn't great... but it's better than being blind.

Ropi Jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 03:46:39 pm »
and since it can run on batteries it actually has a floating ground which is kind of rare on scopes...

Yrs ago I was a TV repairman. Most TVs back then had a chassis that sat at half mains potential. If using a mains powered scope it was vital to either remove the earth in the scope's power plug or use an isolation TX. Either that, or let the magic smoke out when you stuck the ground lead onto the chassis!

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 12:41:12 pm »
Whoever turned that Pacman upright into a "Beastie Feastie" needs to have their face acquainted with some concrete.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 09:07:12 pm »
We eagerly await your restoration pics

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 06:54:27 pm »
If you restore the Pacman and sell it hit me up first - just keep the CRT in it though.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 02:52:52 am »
I use some assortment of these things every day of my life on homes, cars, cabinets and countless other stuff and still can't tell you everything just this crap can do
 :lol

Can't wait to see the mess I can make when I try to fire up the old HP oscilloscope I ran across last year

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 11:38:03 pm »
i can vouch for the mark 5, best meter i ever used.

in fact, i can vouch for any of the 87 series. I have an 87, an 87III (my work pigs) and an 87V (home shop)

the only thing i don't like about the 5 is they switched the current measurement default from DC to AC so now you have to press the YELLOW button to switch to DC amps all the time, where the 87 and the 87III are DC by default and you have to press the BLUE button to switch to AC current measurement.

as someone who uses all these meters daily (and 99% of the time on DC), i sometimes forget to switch the current on the 87v when i use it at home and find myself puzzled at wiered current reading figuring something is wrong....oh nope it's just on AC.  :angry:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 11:56:51 am »
apparently they changed it because at the time of development for the updated meter in the series...industrial companies where primarily buying them and mainly measure AC amp loads so they decided to cater to them and make it the default. it's just something to look out for if you happen to use the 87 series a lot.

it's caught me a couple times.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 03:11:06 am »
I bought mine back when I used to work on cars for $$ and barely had a clue about it's function back then (yeesh, that would be 20 years ago?!)

Not that I have progressed much at this point either really-

If I had a nickel for every time I scrolled through the range choices until I actually found what gave me a reading that made sense...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 09:50:26 am »
The basics of Ohm's Law are easy if you remember the Eagle, the Indian, and the Rabbit.

The Eagle -- "E" -- is electromotive force, measured in Volts.

The Indian -- "I" -- is current flow, measured in Amps.

The Rabbit -- "R" -- is resistance, measured in Ohms.
-----------
                Eagle

Indian              Rabbit
-----------
The Eagle looks down and sees the Indian and the Rabbit side-by-side. ==>  E=I*R

The Indian looks up and sees the Eagle over the Rabbit. ==> I=E/R

The Rabbit looks up and sees the Eagle over the Indian. ==> R=E/I
-----------
If you know two of the variables, you can easily solve for the third.   :cheers:
-----------
Bonus pic for visual learners:

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 11:56:49 am »
I'm not sure precisely which formulas you're referring to, but one reason Pi would show up is if you need to calculate the cross-sectional area of a round conductor like wire to calculate how much current can flow through that conductor.
- Area of a circle = Pi x radius2.

that is some deep ugly, ugly, ugly math.
Very true.   :scared

Fortunately, with most of what we do around here you can get away with the not-so-ugly math if you include some wiggle room to be on the safe side.   :lol

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 01:04:38 pm »
Instead of a sphere, think of wire as a cylinder.
- 2d circles stacked on the z-axis line give you a consistent quantity (cross-sectional area) over distance.

The current limit is based on the cylinder diameter and materials.

Picture a garden hose vs. a fire hose.
- The larger diameter of the fire hose will allow more water to flow (current) at the same water pressure (voltage) compared to a garden hose.
- The material in the garden hose can't handle as much current and water pressure as a fire hose.
- The longer the hose is, the more resistance it will offer.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 10:20:25 pm »
What makes my head hurt is impedance and aluminum conductor reactance.

It's a relief that getting to enjoy this hobby doesn't necessarily demand understanding the whole picture- because I still don't.

I have always loved that cartoon that Scott posted, proving that I am a visual learner I suppose!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 02:48:54 pm »
to that end, electricity is often described as water in a pipe or hose... the water is the charge volts, the current or amperage is flow of that water and the pipe, however large or small, is resistance.

more water = higher volts

faster flowing water = more current

large pipe = low resistance & small pipe= higher resistance

different components can be described as water devices too

switches = valve
transistors = electrically operated valve
capacitor = bucket
inductor = water hammer arrestor
battery = water pump
loads = sprinklers

:cheers:

What makes my head hurt is impedance and aluminum conductor reactance

need more physics in your life...once you learn about particle spin and the magnetic fields associated with that, it'll fall right into place. you don't need to go full Schrodinger or anything.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 05:16:24 pm »
Another plumbing-equivalent component:

Diode = one-way spring-loaded valve
- Water won't flow in one direction (reverse biased) and will only flow the other direction when there is enough water pressure (voltage) in that direction to overcome the spring holding the valve closed. (forward biased)

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2020, 10:26:11 pm »
Why do I feel like you guys spent alot of time at Radio Shack?
Just long enough to buy parts . . . and occasionally educate the clerks and/or customers on basic electronics, standard terminology, etc.   :lol

Scott

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 11:10:03 am »
Why do I feel like you guys spent alot of time at Radio Shack?
Just long enough to buy parts . . . and occasionally educate the clerks and/or customers on basic electronics, standard terminology, etc.   :lol

Scott

Typical ratshack outing for me:

"Can I help you?"

Doubt it.

Huh?

... Probably not.  *walks away*

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 11:16:54 am »
Why do I feel like you guys spent alot of time at Radio Shack?...LOL
...L/Shawn, it is curious you mention partical spin, since that was one of my secret studies back in the day, conventional belief is positive seeks negative, however thats not entirely true, a positive atom is larger than a electron so utilizing physics the electron actually seeks the proton...As not to confuse others reading this however, a "Hot" ground is very seldom used in design, and the generally universal concept of positive Hot is utilized.

I'm currently on the belief that a particle exists in one spin, that if the opposite spin is measured it is actually that particle traveling backwards through time relative to our own.

(mainly due to the fact you can essentially "see" a clockwise spinning particle as a counterclockwise spinning particle travelling backwards through time)

Therefore we can observe ourselves both traveling forwards and backwards through time... simultaneously.

I haven't decided if time is circular or not, I mean I'm pretty sure it is, I just haven't fleshed it out with reasoning in my mind yet, also, I haven't had any marijuana edibles in a while so I haven't binged particle physics in a minute.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 02:54:37 pm »
how does it make you feel that you've never actually TOUCHED anything?

the outermost valence shells of the outermost atoms of the outermost molecules in the outermost cells of your fingertips, start to repel the outermost electrons in the outermost valence shells of the outermost atoms of the outermost molecules in an object. can you even say we have TOUCHED anything?... the only thing holding us together is magnetic fields and the only thing stopping us from touching things is the same thing keeping us together. (thus keeping us apart)

mutual exclusion of electron waves.

inverse wave theory allowing us to pass though "objects" when?

is this ghosts? do they have inverse valence shell waves? are they also travelling backwards though time? it's only lunchtime and i'm already having existential crisis.

:blowup:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 04:46:23 pm »
if you look closely at the empty space between the molecules, you can see his balls... erm... ballicules? balicals? which way do they spin?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2020, 04:17:44 pm »
74lsxxx series chips for example if you diddnt hoard them back in the day, good luck.
Twisty Wrist has a pretty good selection.   ;D

https://www.twistywristarcade.com/

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2020, 09:23:17 pm »
They do make some generic counterfeits nowadays, but the TI, and Fairchild gone like the dinosaurs.
Wikipedia lists a potential sub for the 74LS574.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_7400-series_integrated_circuits
74x574    1    octal D-type edge-triggered flip-flop       three-state    20    SN74HC574

Datasheet - https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74hc574.pdf

Product page - https://www.ti.com/product/SN74HC574

Digikey carries the SN74HC574N in a DIP package . . .

. . . and Mouser carries both the SN74HC574N and the SN74HC574NE4 in DIP packages.
http://www.mouser.com/access/?pn=SN74HC574N&sn=TI

Double check the datasheets to be sure, but at first glance these look like suitable subs for a 74LS574 made by TI.   :cheers:

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2020, 11:44:46 pm »
Don't thank me yet.  Looks like there are compatibility issues.   :embarassed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7400-series_integrated_circuits#Families
74LS – Low-power Schottky. Implemented using the same technology as 74S but with reduced power consumption and switching speed, due to larger resistors. Typical 10 ns gate delay, remarkable (for the time) 2 mW dissipation, 4.75–5.25 V.
74HC – High-speed CMOS, similar performance to 74LS, input/output levels not compatible with TTL, 12 ns. 2.0–6.0 V.

Looks like the 74HCT family is what you're looking for.

http://www.elecdude.com/2014/07/differences-in-cmos-4000-series-74ls-74hc-74hct.html
The 74LS (Low-power Schottky) family (like the original) uses TTL(Transistor-Transistor Logic) circuitry which is fast but requires more power than later families. The 74 series is often still called the 'TTL series' even though the latest ICs do not use TTL!

The 74HC family has High-speed CMOS circuitry, combining the speed of  TTL with the very low power consumption of the 4000 series. They are CMOS ICs with the same pin arrangements as the older 74LS family. Note that 74HC inputs cannot be reliably driven by 74LS outputs because the voltage ranges used for logic 0 are not quite compatible, use 74HCT instead.

The 74HCT family is a special version of 74HC with 74LS TTL-compatible inputs so 74HCT can be safely mixed with 74LS in the same system. In fact 74HCT can be used as low-power direct replacements for the older 74LS ICs in most circuits. The minor disadvantage of 74HCT is a lower immunity to noise, but this is unlikely to be a problem in most situations.

Product page - https://www.ti.com/product/CD74HCT574

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=CD74HCT574E&v=296

http://www.mouser.com/access/?pn=CD74HCT574E&sn=TI

Scott

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 04:37:53 pm »
HC stands for High speed CMOS, LS stands for Low power Schottky (a bipolar technology). In CMOS vs bipolar there are voltage threshold differences that could be incompatible in some instances but likely only at certain high switching frequencies with abnormally close high/low states. in 99% of the instances LS versions can be swapped for HC without issue, where only in a handful instances can a HC version be swapped for a LS version... (usually only if you know for sure what you are switching at.) but the usually 3ns difference is negligible.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:39:40 pm by lilshawn »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2020, 01:31:39 am »
I am going to keep reading this thread even though it has (for me) shifted into an arcane dialect of a distant language I never understood to begin with-

Maybe before I die I will catch up