Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jennifer has issues  (Read 75053 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Jennifer has issues
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2020, 02:08:10 pm »
that's what mail order parts and amazon deliveries are for. no need to exit the building.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2020, 04:17:39 pm »
And now a pic of those $10,000 cabinets or your 300 pinball machines....

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2020, 04:27:31 pm »
And still no pics

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2020, 03:03:00 am »
Have a Merry Christmas guys, and perhaps think of Jenn sometimes at the mall with a big cherry slurpie.😜

And Mele Kalikimaka to you! et alia, of course...

But does that mean we should be at the mall enjoying a big cherry slurpee and thinking of you , or...
Enjoying a big cherry slurpee and thinking of you at the mall, or...
Sometimes we...

Oh geez-
Happy Holidays!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2020, 05:22:54 pm »
That appears to be a "CSC Pro Drive Service/Test/Duplication Workstation".  Item/Part Number "SDIPROB".

https://web.archive.org/web/20020825114822/http://www.corpsys.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=SDIPROB&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=5

PROFESSIONAL HARD DRIVE WORKSTATION!

ADVANCED FEATURES
• INSTANTLY CLONE ENTIRE HARD DRIVES
• FACTORY TEST SYSTEM ANALYZES DRIVES
• COMBO IDE/SCSI SYSTEM BULK TRANSFERS DATA BETWEEN INTERFACES
• SUPPORTS EVERY INTERFACE: SCA, SCSI, IDE, E-IDE, UDMA, EVEN 2.5" NOTEBOOK DRIVES!!
• INCLUDES A COMPLETE FACTORY TEST SYSTEM WITH PRINTER PORT
• FORENSIC COPY MODE FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT WITH REPORT PRINTING
• DOD-9220 GOVERNMENT ERASE FUNCTION
• NOW SUPPORTS ATA-6 DRIVES OVER 137GB CAPACITY
• ELIMINATES BAD SECTORS AND RESTORES DRIVE PERFORMANCE
• INCLUDES FREE: SCA ADAPTER, 2.5" NOTEBOOK ADAPTERS, CABLE SET, DATA RECOVERY GUIDE

PROFESSIONAL HARD DRIVE WORKSTATION
Copy entire hard drives with ease. Drive duplicators are an essential tool for dealers and system builders. Why spend hours installing and formatting drives when you can do it instantly? Set up any SCSI or IDE drive with all your original software. Connect blank drives and press start. You'll copy entire drives faster and more accurately than is possible on any PC!
You can even bulk transfer data between different interfaces. Copy entire IDE hard disk images on SCSI drives or vice-versa. CLONES, TESTS, & REPAIRS DRIVES Don't throw those used drives away! Breathe new life into old drives with the Pro. Reassign and eliminate bad SCSI blocks and most IDE defects. Put the built-in drive repair system to work for you. Here’s how it works: first, a precise drive analysis system scans the disk surfaces for errors. Defects are mapped around and effectively "erased." The built-in error-correcting system then "trains" the disk drive to permanently avoid these defective areas. Your data is stored only on the safe areas of the disk. Capacity is only reduced by an insignificant amount, and the drive works flawlessly once again.

INCLUDES FACTORY TEST SYSTEM
Choose the Pro, and you'll also have an entire factory drive test system for under $1000. The Pro gives you the ability to copy, reformat, repair, translate, and test any hard disk drive. Use the Pro to put any hard drive through its paces. A full factory final test and performance analysis is performed. Complete test and repair reports are sent to any standard ASCII printer.

SUPPORTS ALL MAJOR INTERFACES
IDE, ENHANCED IDE, NARROW SCSI, WIDE SCSI, ULTRA SCSI and SCA.

Manual:
http://www.digital-loggers.com/downloads/Product%20Manuals/Duplicators/SDI%20Pro%20Manual%20v7.17.pdf

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2020, 05:52:35 pm »
Always glad to assist.   :cheers:

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2020, 03:12:47 am »
Very cool-

And maybe it is only 20 years old?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2020, 07:48:03 am »
Some of the folks in the retro-computing groups on Facebook would drool over themselves if they saw it. Maybe there is value there after all?
Check out my completed projects!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 01:25:01 pm »
and would probably be more better served over at Klove or Pinside
that's just mean to say

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2020, 01:26:35 pm »
we used to have a 4-up version of that duplicator. it's slow AF, but gets the job done.

CHD's and usb adapters pretty much made this obsolete.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2020, 01:40:48 pm »
Corporate Systems Center was founded in 1986. (see page 4 of "Hard Drive Bible - Edition 7")

Looks like they made HDDs, HDD controllers, HDD duplicators/testers, optical drives, optical disc duplicators, DAT drives, etc.

They also published 8 editions of the "Hard Drive Bible" between 1989(?) and 1996. (estimate based on the copyright date on page 2 of "Hard Drive Bible - Edition 7")
- Edition 8 in 1996.  https://archive.org/details/CSC_Hard_Drive_Bible_Edition_8_1996
- Edition 7 in 1994.  https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_cscCSCHardn1994_33982972
- Edition 3 in 1991(?).  https://www.cbldatarecovery.com/blog/data-recovery/throwback-video-creating-first-hard-disk-drive-at-ibm
-------------
If you want to see some old school action, here's IBM developing RAMAC -- the first hard drive system.
- It could store a whopping 3.75MB.   :o   :lol

Scott

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2020, 02:48:01 pm »
5 million characters is a lot of characters for it's time. like, a real shitload. was "characters" stored in 8 bit coding back then? that would have been like 40 million individual bits... but yeah 5 megabytes
(all in) is a pile back then.

a duper is/was great if you keep known good copies of hard drives around. we used to have a big 4x6 steel cabinet just jammed full of drives and EEPROMS and other related whatnots... when we got a new game we'd clone the drive and throw the clone in the cabinet. pretty soon it becomes not feasible to do so anymore... we started needing drives...and eventually couldn't find any pata drives...so you dig through the cabinet to try and find a clone of some game you didn't need/have anymore to dump onto.

with how fast internet is and how great PATA to..."everything" adapters are, it got to the point where it was just easier to download the CHD and dump it onto a pata to sdcard adapter or pata to compact flash or pata to usb...or pata to sata... or pata to laptop pata... or pata to other patas or pata to reed cuneiform on a clay tablet...like they literally have a pata to everything adapter now.  it's great.

harddrive space be so cheap these days that we keep a drive now with literal clone images of 500 and up gb drives on it.

our cabinet still keeps parts and drives, but we only keep physical clones of touchtunes drives for all our serieses so if one goes down we can immediately swap it out for a new one and be back running in minutes instead of waiting hours for a sector by sector clone to complete.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 02:51:15 pm by lilshawn »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2020, 03:05:31 am »
5 million characters is a lot of characters for it's time. like, a real shitload. was "characters" stored in 8 bit coding back then? that would have been like 40 million individual bits... but yeah 5 megabytes
(all in) is a pile back then.

a duper is/was great if you keep known good copies of hard drives around. we used to have a big 4x6 steel cabinet just jammed full of drives and EEPROMS and other related whatnots... when we got a new game we'd clone the drive and throw the clone in the cabinet. pretty soon it becomes not feasible to do so anymore... we started needing drives...and eventually couldn't find any pata drives...so you dig through the cabinet to try and find a clone of some game you didn't need/have anymore to dump onto.

with how fast internet is and how great PATA to..."everything" adapters are, it got to the point where it was just easier to download the CHD and dump it onto a pata to sdcard adapter or pata to compact flash or pata to usb...or pata to sata... or pata to laptop pata... or pata to other patas or pata to reed cuneiform on a clay tablet...like they literally have a pata to everything adapter now.  it's great.

harddrive space be so cheap these days that we keep a drive now with literal clone images of 500 and up gb drives on it.

our cabinet still keeps parts and drives, but we only keep physical clones of touchtunes drives for all our serieses so if one goes down we can immediately swap it out for a new one and be back running in minutes instead of waiting hours for a sector by sector clone to complete.

Geez lilshawn, how many machines to you typically have running at once/ are you responsible to keep alive at any given time?!

Vocalitus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2020, 12:03:31 pm »
Corporate Systems Center was founded in 1986. (see page 4 of "Hard Drive Bible - Edition 7")

Looks like they made HDDs, HDD controllers, HDD duplicators/testers, optical drives, optical disc duplicators, DAT drives, etc.

They also published 8 editions of the "Hard Drive Bible" between 1989(?) and 1996. (estimate based on the copyright date on page 2 of "Hard Drive Bible - Edition 7")
- Edition 8 in 1996.  https://archive.org/details/CSC_Hard_Drive_Bible_Edition_8_1996
- Edition 7 in 1994.  https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_cscCSCHardn1994_33982972
- Edition 3 in 1991(?).  https://www.cbldatarecovery.com/blog/data-recovery/throwback-video-creating-first-hard-disk-drive-at-ibm
-------------
If you want to see some old school action, here's IBM developing RAMAC -- the first hard drive system.
- It could store a whopping 3.75MB.   :o   :lol

Scott

Reminded me of my ST 506 I used as a door stop.  I sold it in a spare PCXT for $200 after keeping the office door open for 3 years.  Still had the terminator attached. I had a RLL drive that was slightly faster.

I just have to look funny at a modern HDD and it stops working.   ;)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2020, 04:25:14 pm »
Geez lilshawn, how many machines to you typically have running at once/ are you responsible to keep alive at any given time?!

few hundred or so. I'm a service technician for an amusement company. we have machines in schools, bars, lounges, etc. one of the university locations has had 8 pinball machines, 5 videogames, 2 pooltables, 2 bubble hockey games, and 2 fooseball tables in it. (and a change machine to boot.)

during non-covid times, the school locations can be a daily route trip around the city just to do repairs. not so much this year, since basically everything is shutdown.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2020, 10:00:39 pm »
eep. so spendsive!

(says the guy with 3 fluke 87's)

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2020, 01:45:55 am »
I won't live long enough-
to learn enough-
to get that deep into this hobby

:lol

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2021, 04:05:09 am »
It IS all very cool stuff, and I fully admit to being an equipment/tool dweeb.

At some point maybe I will need to know how some of the more arcane details of all this really go.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2021, 02:27:47 pm »
the Rom dumper is a taboo subject that probibally can't even be talked about around here
No problem talking about ROM dumping/burning test equipment.   :cheers:
- That equipment and the ROM dumps are necessary for documenting, testing, and repairing original arcade PCBs.

That said, please don't post copyrighted ROM dumps here unless you are the legal owner of the copyright.
i.e. You wrote/own the code, not just you bought a PCB containing a copy of the code.

Rule 5 excerpt:
Quote from: saint
Need a ROM to repair an arcade board you own? Fine to talk about. Need a ROM to complete your MAME collection? Don't bother to post here.

Being able to dump and compare individual ROMs allowed Ian's friend Brian to discover that the program ROMs on the Galaxian board mentioned here are a 100% match to "Galaxian Part 4 (hack)" [galap4] -- causing the faster game play and shooting -- but the graphics ROM was from "Galaxian (Midway Set 1)" [galaxianm] -- which explains the "Midway" text on the attract screen.

Scott

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2021, 01:36:01 am »
I've always just used the fluke supplied wires. i've never had an issue with a wire breaking (frying a probe tip on the other hand...)

i've never had an issue and...but i've always wrapped the wires... vertically, the long way around.

i have stock leads on my mark V, but premium TL71 leads on my mark III. the premiums are silicone wire and feel pretty nice and flex really good. I believe the stock leads (on the mark V anyway) are PVC. (but they flex and feel great and are quite broken in, as I've had the meter for 16 some odd years now.)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2021, 02:16:38 am »
frying a probe tip on the other hand...
So . . . I'm not the only one who forgot to pull the water heater breaker before trying to measure resistance on the thermostat?   :o

That brilliant move arc-welded about 1/8" off one of the leads and killed my old Radio Shack analog meter.   :scared

Scott

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2021, 04:29:49 pm »
i've heard stories about the fluke... about how you could set the thing to read current and jam the probes into mains...open it up, replace the fuse and it still be good. it's what drove me to purchase these beasts. there is some things you just buy a good enough version of just to get a job done...and there are some things you do that you just need to have the best of the best and buy it once because reliability/repeatability/accuracy is #1.

fluke does it own certified and traceable calibrations and i think an 87 series is $180us... but that includes literally anything and everything that may need to be repaired or replaced to ensure accuracy.

i like knowing that when i probe something and it says there is 11.84 volts.... it's actually 11.84 volts... where a ratshak blister pack meter might say 12.1 and you'd think it's probably okay when in fact you have a bridge diode issue.

i highly recommend the premium probe set. they are about 40 bucks, but damn they feel great. you can also get ultrasharp stainless probes that are good for stabbing through (i guess) insulation/soldermask/etc.  but i've hardly found such a set useful in the electronics that I repair... and i don't typically stab through insulation to get at a reading...i feel it introduces a failure point.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2021, 01:44:25 am »
...and you do all this while I am still struggling to just get my workshop sorted and keep enough projects afloat to keep from feeling like a total loser

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2021, 06:51:37 am »
...and you do all this while I am still struggling to just get my workshop sorted and keep enough projects afloat to keep from feeling like a total loser

Having a good workspace is really important. Even with great tools etc, it is very hard to operate if your workspace is full or junk, impossible to move around or find anything in.

Now that I've got another batch of GreenAntz transcoders out of the way I'm cleaning out the shed/shop. I want to put a component-modded TV into my next cab (an Aussie lowboy I made the body for before getting focused on things like swim teaching and GreenAntz), and I can't get into that while my shed is a dusty junky mess. Today I rediscovered the secret cathartic joy of burning 10 years old work research/policy/reports stuff, bank statements and insurance rubbish. Tomorrow I may relearn the joys of taking a truckload of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- to the rubbish tip.

Jennifer, I am very impressed with the stuff you do and your skillset. I love reading your posts. I wish I could do half the stuff you do like welding. But is OK, is probably easier for me to take it to the local welding shop anyway. To me it is all about choices ("needs and circumstances", do it yourself or just get someone else to do it), and learning how to do at least some stuff yourself gives you choices.

Ropi Jo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 04:26:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2021, 03:34:51 pm »
I sometimes wonder if anyone ever reads my crazy thoughts,

"Crazy Thought Reader" here!

Your working level is generally way over my head but a thoroughly enjoyable read non-the-less!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2021, 04:43:11 pm »
Fair work deserves fair pay, and possibly a six-pack for the workers to share around at the end of the day  :cheers:

Is not like metal shop workers typically get much pay anyway.

The actual build is easy, it is already built in my head, and can think about unicorns and things while I work...Lol.

Jenn I think your workbench might need some more unicorns?  :lol

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2021, 09:14:25 pm »
And still no pics of those 200 pinball machines or $10,000 cabinets.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2021, 09:05:50 am »
And still no pics

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2021, 04:27:46 pm »
I’ve got a similar Weller.  Pulled it out of a trash pile.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2021, 03:59:01 am »
Thank you very much for that detailed explanation Jenn, cos I totally didn't know what you were talking about  ::). Now I feel cleverer cos I do!  :angel:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2021, 07:10:41 pm »
That gets a bit advanced I guess...Buying a cheap old Analog scope, and testing random things like leds, resistors, 555 timers will make you feel smarter than everyone in your town...😜

lol, I don't think I'm being egotistical when I say I'm already smarter than most people in town (except maybe my wife). But then, I live in a small town in rural Thailand where nothing more complicated than a rice harvest is likely to happen. There is a brain drain going on here: all the smarter people leave for jobs in the Big Smoke, except for the even smarter or luckier ones (like me) that come here to escape the Big Smoke (semi-retire).

When I talked about choices before... often I learn how to do things myself because there simply isn't anyone else around that can do it. So I have no choice except to learn and do it myself. Which is why I'm happy to outsource whatever I can (like simple metalworking), so I have more time to focus on other things.

My working theory of life is that anyone of average+ intelligence can do pretty much anything they want so long as they put their mind and heart towards making it happen. This is why I have such high respect for skills - it takes minds and hearts. However there isn't enough time to do *everything* yourself, no matter how big you mind and heart, thus choices and allowing yourself to ask for help.

For an oscilloscope I'm currently making do with a digital USB one (Owon), which I connect to my laptop. It is great and lets me "see the matrix" so to speak, but does inspire me to get a desktop scope in the future.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2021, 09:39:25 am »
Arcade machines do get a premium price in Thailand. Not that I've been selling any here. Just trying to get on top of my own collection and wants. Would like to get into making/selling here. I used to do custom cabs in Australia but always been too distracted or disabled by a list of reasons to make it happen in Thailand yet.

Basically I'm happy to currently have body with both legs and both hands working at mostly full capacity.

I have enough parts in my shed to make at least a few arcade cabs from scratch already, and I have a decent collection of game PCBs to put in them too if I want to :D  WHich is why I've been making an effort to clean it all up so I can get in there without choking on dust.

Where I haven't been busy with other things, last little while been busying myself with the GreenAntz RGB to component transcoder project, if only because it would secure a steady supply of CRT TVs to use as arcade monitors in a land where arcade monitors are as rare as hens teeth.

We get a lot of snakes, next to a big river. In the wet season about one per week or so. Mostly non-threatening, we just shoo them away. But then, I'm Australian and there they have the deadliest snakes in the world - these Thai ones are just for show.

Then there are the scorpions. And don't even get me started about the centipedes.

Hmm creme soda? Maybe, there are so many flavours here. MacDonalds? closest I know of is four hours hard drive away. I have no idea what a Tootsie roll is  :dunno

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2021, 01:04:36 am »
No snakes at all in Hawai'i !
Of course there are nearly no classic arcade machines left either.

We have similar issues to yours here but I am sure you are even more remotely situated than I (and I will burn diesel for electricity for another few months and can't get an internet connection to maintain good standing on a hobby-appropriate torrent yet still either-)  :banghead:

Also grateful for the health I still have...

And still I envy Jennifer her welding equipment!!
Not that I know how to use any of it well- still   :lol
So her skill too
 :)

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2021, 12:48:35 pm »
Z/dee, I really hope your shed has power, because half the fun is middle of the night, crazy experimental, and falling asleep at the workbench waking up with drool all over the side of your head (Dont ask how I would know this)

lol, I prefer to work at night as less interruptions and too hot to work in middle of the day (most of the year). We are civilised of course and had power and internet here as soon as there was a bamboo hut to hook the optical fibre up to.

Yes I have also fallen asleep with my head inside an arcade cab (oh my darling what troubles thee, let me lay my head inside your front door, better to gaze upon your pretty wires from down here, oh looky here dear zzzzzzzzzz).

Now that's true intimacy.

Aparently Fraud protection shut my payment off

Yikes, been spending big lately?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:24:15 am by Zebidee »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2021, 12:44:31 pm »
Just tell them Thor came down from Asgard to visit and the black silica is just leftover from the Bifrost beaming him down.

Thor heard you were doing some metalwork and brought Mjolnir to help. Did someone say arc welding?

Do you even have a cat? 'Coz that would help with the skunks and coyotes.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2021, 06:11:26 pm »
I've designed and built a few concurrent heat exchangers for turbocharger systems in ridiculous cars, but never thought one would be useful in this application!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2021, 07:43:22 pm »
Remove heat, Its not a new concept They have been doing that for years,

lol seems like 1/2 of physics is dealing with the byproducts of the monsters we create.

There's always liquid nitrogen... which you can also use to make ice cream! YUM YUM

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2021, 05:51:34 pm »
$3000 faaaaark n ell

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2021, 10:17:11 pm »
Carbon fiber seems a little more appropriate to the application than cherry!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2021, 04:49:02 am »
I dunno I like using wood for my prototypes...

This one is for testing logic gate function