Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jennifer has issues  (Read 76376 times)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
Re: Jennifer has issues
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2021, 08:13:28 am »
It's dead Jim

Check out my completed projects!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2021, 10:51:19 am »
I guess Jenn got a little lost on that.
Sorry I wasn't more clear.

In the other thread, Bobby wanted to make a modified 3d printed version of the plastic handle sides used in both Battle Zone (P/Ns 035995-01 and 035995-02 on page 36 of the manual here) and Red Baron. (P/Ns 036995-01 and 036995-02 on page 38 of the manual here)
- The handle P/Ns are different, but they are interchangeable.  Atari did this with some of their parts.   :dunno
- Once a good 3d model of the handles is created, it can be modified to mount on any joystick base.  For example, the 3d printable LS-30 (Ikari Warriors) handle model I designed here for the Happ mechanical rotary stick and then modified here for the Ultimarc 12-way rotary upgrade.

Other than the handle sides and the top-fire switch (P/N 62-043), the rest of the BZ and RB joysticks are completely different from each other.

I don't envy anyone having to chase down replacement parts for either stick.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:08:52 pm by PL1 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2021, 02:20:35 pm »
That seems to be an impressive project, This planet needs more of you guys in it, I wouldn't be of much help however as that's beyond the scope of Jenns bench,
The way that collectors like you can help 3d modellers is either to provide accurate measurements of the handle sides or, better yet, find someone trustworthy and loan them a spare set of handle sides that they can use to make a great model.
- The only reason those LS-30 handle models are so accurate is because 8BitMonk generously loaned me an original long enough to take all of the measurements and figure out all of the mind-numbing 3d triginometry needed to build a parametric model in OpenSCAD.   :notworthy:   :cheers:
- I'd throw my hat in the ring for doing a BZ/RB handle model, but right now I've got several other models I'm working on that I really should finish first. (2 repros of loaned parts, an original remix of a rare controller type, and several other interesting/exciting projects)  Too many projects, not enough time.   :banghead:

It should be noted the Food Fight is also in that mix (as far as parts go) but there are differences between the three obviously...As for building a NOS 40 year old Atari gimbal stick, It probably isn't going to happen anymore in our lifetime, I most likely have the last one on my bench the world will ever see, Even had to call in a few favors to pull that off.
Yeah, those Atari analog sticks are getting harder to find in any kind of good working condition.

Once they are gone, hopefully someone will have a 3d model of the handle that can be mounted on something like a Happ or Quimat analog joystick.
- Obviously, a re-handled Quimat stick is not as good as the original Atari stick, but it maintains at least the form and function to keep the games alive and playable.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2021, 02:41:04 am »
I certainly am looking forward to getting at the controller projects!
But I need to get the amorphous white blob cabinet project done before I can (literally) get to my workbench again  :lol
I'll get there, but I think it may be a month off at the rate things are going presently.

One of the things I would loved to have gotten into is 3d modelling and printing.

I feel Scott's pain on the projects vs. time graph.
Just trying to keep up with developing the infrastructure on the farm and building the surfboards I have promised to some people has been all consuming for the daylight hours of the last few months.

But I keep stumbling on good project bits on fleabay and can't help but buy them.  >:D
If I stumble onto anything that is rare and/or needs to be repro'd/preserved you can be sure it will go to someone who could pull it off.

I DO have a pair of those Star Wars Trilogy/ Cyber Sled handles (complete with angles hollow shafts!) but I don't believe those are on the list of things to be copied yet-

Or are they?!  :dunno
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2021, 01:05:00 pm »
I DO have a pair of those Star Wars Trilogy/ Cyber Sled handles (complete with angles hollow shafts!) but I don't believe those are on the list of things to be copied yet-

Or are they?!  :dunno
Pretty sure the handles you're talking about are the left grip 95-1294-00 here and right grip 95-1293-00 here used on Happ joysticks 95-1431-00 here and 95-0179-00 here.
- Happ is still making them . . . for now. (Unlike the Happ 50-5618-00 mechanical rotary stick.   :cry: )

Those SWT handles would probably be very difficult to repro in OpenSCAD.   :scared
- Someone could do it much easier with CAD software.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2021, 08:56:50 pm »
Exactly those of which I speak Scott!
I still need the thumb buttons and their complementary switches though.
I have a list of various bits to buy from the Happ crew but since I know I will get rattled on shipping anyway I'm waiting to get a full list of possible needs first.

That and I need a little more Franken- bench time to see what parts fit with what in the things I'm trying to create so I know I am actually getting what parts I can still buy (and see what I may need to fab after the dust settles.)

But for this weekend I think it will be making a lot of polyester resin dust that consumes my free time.

One would think that somebody would have made everything you can think of already in the frantic first 20 years of early arcade ludicrousness.
But I suppose not!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2021, 09:33:00 pm »
I still need the thumb buttons and their complementary switches though.
I have a list of various bits to buy from the Happ crew but since I know I will get rattled on shipping anyway I'm waiting to get a full list of possible needs first.

That and I need a little more Franken- bench time to see what parts fit with what in the things I'm trying to create so I know I am actually getting what parts I can still buy (and see what I may need to fab after the dust settles.)
Before you order direct from Happ, you might want to ask Divemaster if arcadeemulator.net has or can special order those items for you.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2021, 04:16:52 am »
Thank you both!
Good advice.

For the switches I'm not sure what I need because I don't have originals to work from, but I may have ones from something else that do fit and could be helpful in a Mouser et al search.  Good plan.

Scott, I will definitely look to Divemaster for some parts!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2021, 07:56:34 pm »
McMaster-Carr will have any off the shelf parts you may need.

their website is sompthin else.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2021, 11:43:29 pm »
And thank you too lilshawn.

I need to finish that cabinet soon because I'm getting antsy about controllers and monitors now
 :lol

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2021, 02:13:03 am »
I need to finish that cabinet soon because I'm getting antsy about controllers and monitors now

Speaking of antsy... :D

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2021, 01:55:19 am »

Speaking of antsy... :D

Suppose I should've said pardon the pun...?
I finally got my Jrok multiWilliams board which was meant to be the first test for my GreenAntz, so I've run out of excuses to  stall
Except for that I am working 7 days a week on other people's stuff still...
 :cry:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2021, 04:04:24 am »
You might call this ironic, but I just last week had to clean a colony of black ants out of my Blue Elf 2 2009 cartridge and a 2000-in-one PCB.

These ants lay eggs everywhere and get into every nook and cranny, you have to pull everything apart to clean. They love optical drives! hurrr

A few years ago I had to clean a colony out of my original xboxes. I let myself get too exposed to their formic acid brew and developed an allergic reaction. This time I kept to doing everything outside with the air compressor.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2021, 06:25:16 am »
Bobby, I was just wondering about your Jrok multiwilliams - when VGA mode is disabled, does it still output 15khz CGA out of the VGA port? Or only out of the JAMMA?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2021, 12:04:02 pm »
:lol, I am looking at a box of RAM that was delivered before Christmas but I haven't opened the box yet... funny how your priorities when you order stuff are often not the same as when it is delivered.

Always good to have multiple projects running because when you get to that point of "Oh I need to wait for the XXX to arrive", you'll realise that something else has already been delivered for another project and you can push on.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2021, 07:42:00 pm »
:lol, I am looking at a box of RAM that was delivered before Christmas but I haven't opened the box yet... funny how your priorities when you order stuff are often not the same as when it is delivered.

Always good to have multiple projects running because when you get to that point of "Oh I need to wait for the XXX to arrive", you'll realise that something else has already been delivered for another project and you can push on.

This!

Not to mention that when I get stuck on something (since it is all planned ahead, and then re-engineered on the fly since it never goes as planned!) the whole multiple projects idea gives you something to work on while you wait for inspiration to fix the last mess you made!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2021, 09:07:04 pm »
orders parts from amazon and pays extra to have them delivered ASAP.

package sits on bench for 2 weeks

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2021, 11:24:43 pm »
It has been occurring to me that I have arcade PCBs I bought and stashed over a decade ago, and still haven't opened them. Even when I bought them I pretty much just tested them then wrapped them up.

Suddenly getting paranoid about whether any of them have batteries...

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2021, 03:37:21 am »
Curiously I got boxes that have never been opened ever,  for like decades,  I know what's in them for the most part, but they are actually safer in the box, like backglass or playfields and things....Some of them no idea what's in them, on my birthday or Christmas or someting I grab one like a fun present to myself... Its usually something random like a switching power supply or something, but still a fun surprise.

You are all making me feel better about the CRT hoarding behavior I fell into a few years ago
 >:D

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2021, 01:43:51 pm »
Or the weak of back.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2021, 03:18:50 am »
Collecting Crts is not a hobby for the faint of heart, Just saying...🙄

Although I'm sure I have at least 20 now, I'm not sure I have enough variety to refer to myself as a "collector" yet

But I do appreciate the idea!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2021, 03:40:03 am »
In Thailand I can still buy, "new", the same 20-21" CRTs that I've been component modding.

I say "new" because they use refurbished tubes. But not bad for a usable monitor at about US$65-70 each.

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2021, 11:28:36 am »
I think I've gotten burned out with it. I just finished an RGB mod on a Trinitron and I don't even think I want it anymore. Need something to re-motivate me.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2021, 12:33:09 pm »
Need something to re-motivate me.

Yeah baby I'm feeling that too

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2021, 05:39:29 pm »
Looks expensive!!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2021, 07:55:06 pm »
Motivation comes from anywhere and everywhere, Sitting in traffic staring at a traffic light, the swing of the arm at the bowling alley, the popping of the steel belts of a tire fire, virtually everywhere...Looking at the same thing too long, yes that does create a vacuum but as luck would have it, there are many aspects to a arcade machine to entice even you guys.😁

Funny talking about motivation, I've been letting my brain go into idle mode for a few days, vaguely thinking about various projects. Wife criticises me for playing games on my cab, I tell her I'm getting my brain back on track.

Then, like tumblers in a lock falling into place, I suddenly had an inspiration for making the GreenAntz YPbPr transcoders work properly with composite sync input direct from PC (rather than just normal H+V sync). The solution is remarkably simple too, not too difficult to retrofit. Feeling much more motivated.

When you focus intently on doing something, after a while you have to take a step back and do something else. Your mind continues thinking in the background about what you were doing, and often comes up with solutions you couldn't see when too focused.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2021, 08:12:07 pm »
My Lab is a complete mess with stuff all over because I'm getting a new set of shelves put in (to give me somewhere to put all my stuff).

Got my friendly local carpenter to do the shelves for me. Yes, the one I mentioned earlier that can't follow a plan. Well, he took measurements and made the shelves as one piece, to fit perfectly into my storage room (88cm wide), but forgot to account for the doorway space (66cm wide). Reckons he can turn the shelves inside after he pokes them through the door, but he can't because the diagonal width (corner to opposite corner) is wider than the room. He doesn't believe me, so we go through the motions of trying to put them in so he can see it just won't work. Impossible to get the shelves in. Just like I told him a week ago.

So now he has to go back and make them narrower so they'll fit, another 2 days or so work for him. Gosh.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2021, 08:38:03 pm »
WoW o.O

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2021, 09:42:16 pm »
<3 Atari mug. I had a Pacman mug but the darn handle broke :(

Box #3 rockola... are those large cylinders paper caps?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2021, 10:00:53 pm »
Maybe good idea to replace those paper caps with modern equivalents, unless you are super serious about authenticity

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2021, 10:17:37 pm »
Put the modern smaller caps *inside* tidy paper cap shells ftw  8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:19:22 pm by Zebidee »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2021, 10:49:44 pm »
Must admit I was pretty excited to see a nice set of valves too

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2021, 10:50:28 pm »
and yeah cap from underneath so much less hassle

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2021, 03:39:44 pm »
Wow you've put a lot of effort (and $$) into it already

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2021, 07:55:55 pm »
Nice. Through-hole work is even satisfying to do. The SMD stuff makes me tear my hair out sometimes :P

How is the Hakko sucker?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2021, 09:37:35 pm »
How about a pic of one of them $10,000 cabinets?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2021, 10:54:51 pm »
Sweet story, sis

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2021, 11:44:28 pm »
Forgive me if my memory has gone, but I imagine this must be a cockpit cabinet that you are talking about?

I REALLY would like to make one of those one day

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2021, 08:42:09 pm »
A while back I had stumbled onto a thread where someone very thoroughly documented a near complete disassembly of an original Star Wars cockpit.

I even pulled the whole thing onto my laptop so I could have it for when I had time and space to make one.

And then the laptop died- with no backup of that drive.
No clue now where I had found it either.

:angry:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2021, 11:02:22 pm »
A while back I had stumbled onto a thread where someone very thoroughly documented a near complete disassembly of an original Star Wars cockpit.

I even pulled the whole thing onto my laptop so I could have it for when I had time and space to make one.

And then the laptop died- with no backup of that drive.
No clue now where I had found it either.

:angry:
Here are a few places to look.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Star_Wars_Cockpit
- Has links to several related threads.

modessitt - FINALLY! Star Wars Cockpit Measurements
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,66626.0.html
- Pretty sure this is the main thread for measurements.

Level42 - Star Wars Cockpit......SHE LIVES !!!!!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,68094.0.html
- On page 9 there are clarifications for several measurements, and there are back door measurements on pg 10.
- Looks like most of the pictures were hosted on another site, are no longer available from that site, and weren't captured by archive.org.   :banghead:
- Hopefully Level42 still has copies of them.

Scott