Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel Tweaks  (Read 6290 times)

Drakkorcia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 08:50:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Control Panel Tweaks
« on: October 31, 2020, 01:07:11 pm »
There were two minor issues I wanted to explore solutions for, if they are possible. Lot of creative minds out there. First, I have my joysticks centered correctly but when pushed all the way to an edge, it still knocks the wood. I am guessing this is normal but has anyone found some kind "of cushioning" material to line the joystick hole inner edges so any contact is soft and quiet? Second, is there a similar material to line the control panel edges with to round them off for added comfort when resting palms on the side? Having my hand on the hard edges gets fatiguing after a while. Just wanted to throw it out there...

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:29:26 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
Re: Control Panel Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 07:15:03 pm »
If it's knocking into the wood, then I'm guessing they are also not sticking out at a decent depth either. You'll probably have to get a router/lathe/cnc/something and dig out the bottom a bit in the area where the sticks go. What kind of material you using and which sticks?

Drakkorcia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 08:50:46 am
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 04:48:11 am »
I just realized I put the Ultrastik 360 in a 2in hole a spinner used to be in. I think the oversized hole allows the stick to travel a bit farther making the knock more noticeable but its perfectly playable and I'm being picky. It's not like the knock you get when you center incorrectly and the stick simply hits the wall too soon.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 11:51:46 am »
I don't think I've heard anyone having this problem before :dizzy:  I have competition joysticks bottom mounted in 3/4" plywood. These have had a 1/4" of wood routered out so a half inch of wood deep is left. There is no contact with the wood that I'm aware of....  I'll pull up the dustcovers just to have a look. The ultra360's is a pretty popular stick so someone with those may chime in. It sounds like a mounting issue. My control panel is wrapped with T-molding so not soft but I'm used to it :lol