Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: first full cabinet build  (Read 2792 times)

smorg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2021, 03:32:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
first full cabinet build
« on: October 28, 2020, 10:59:13 pm »
Hey all! I'm starting the adventure of starting a full arcade build (once again). I had attempted this a few years back and built a CP but never finished with the cab itself. So here I go again and hopefully taking it to the finish line.

Here is a picture of the CP I had originally made though I'm planning on redoing it during this build.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
Re: first full cabinet build
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:11:59 pm »
Don't angle the sticks!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:02:50 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 02:57:29 pm »
There aren't enough characters crammed onto the CP. It needs more.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 03:55:51 pm »
There aren't enough characters crammed onto the CP. It needs more.

Well at least he's redoing it...

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 12:19:04 pm »
Raise the trackball a little.

stavros693000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 05:33:15 pm
  • I built my own arcade machine
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 03:02:21 pm »
look foward to seeing you're progress....just a few tips, if your building a 4player C/Panel NEVER angle the 3-4 player joysticks and also players 3-4 only need 3-4 buttons max( i could be wrong) but i cant think of a 4 player arcade game that uses more than 4 buttons, x-men uses 3 buttons, TMNT,Simpsons use only 2 buttons so 3buttons is probably enough. goodluck and keep those pics coming mate. cheers :cheers:
my first build classic style upright cabinet..... MARVELOUS FIGHTER (FINISHED) http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133066.0.html

Seob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 01:40:33 am
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 03:09:20 am »
Artwork looks nice, as artwork. On the control panel it is way to much. The longer i look at it the more buttons i seem to discover, as they are hiding in the artwork. So my tip, use the artwork for the side of the cabinet, and go for a cleaner look on the control panel.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 01:36:46 am
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 04:01:09 am »
I like the button config, but man, those graphics can cause convulsions if you try taking it all in.  :laugh2:

smorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2021, 03:32:45 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 01:17:54 am »
Its been some time but finally some progress is being made with more to come later this week! Thus far, I have the side panels cut out and roughly the new CP is done. It does require a bit sanding and some filler to cover up the screws and gaps.

Don't angle the sticks!

look foward to seeing you're progress....just a few tips, if your building a 4player C/Panel NEVER angle the 3-4 player joysticks and also players 3-4 only need 3-4 buttons max( i could be wrong) but i cant think of a 4 player arcade game that uses more than 4 buttons, x-men uses 3 buttons, TMNT,Simpsons use only 2 buttons so 3buttons is probably enough. goodluck and keep those pics coming mate. cheers :cheers:

There were a few comments on the angle of the sticks which I was completely guilty of. After reading much of this "holy war" I do not plan on doing that again with this one. I honestly cannot for the life of me remember why I did that in the first place.......but how else are you to learn if you do not make mistakes? As far as the buttons go I do plan on keeping the 6 button layout for 3rd and 4th player for playing games on other systems like the N64. Not sure how much it will all be used but there is only one way to find out. I guess the one question I do have would be I understand to not angle the sticks, but the buttons still are no? Or is everything aligned horizontally?

I do get that the art work can be loud to say the least but I do like it the way it is and currently I do not plan on changing it. I did finish the new one at least for now if I do not think of any other characters to add to it. Speaking on the side panels though I am on the struggle bus for what to put on them as I really have no clue at this point. Hopefully something comes to mind soon.

Planning on working on this again later this week so there should be another update soon. Looking to start putting in the ledger boards and framing out the actual cabinet itself. If you guys have any tips for putting in ledger boards I would be definitely interested in that!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 04:30:06 am »
I guess the one question I do have would be I understand to not angle the sticks, but the buttons still are no? Or is everything aligned horizontally?
It will be more comfortable if you angle the P3/P4 buttons so players have the same distance reach for their stick and buttons and P3/P4 are less likely to turn their bodies and bump into P1/P2 while trying to equalize the reach distance.

Rotate the P3 button layout clockwise so that player naturally stands further to the left and rotate the P4 button layout counter-clockwise so that player naturally stands further to the right.

A cardboard or hardboard mockup with the actual controls will allow you to test the inter-player spacing, P3/P4 button layout angles, and button layout patterns. (see Slagcoin)   ;D

One other possible layout consideration is putting all 4 joysticks in a straight line for 2-player dual joystick games like Smash TV.
- A single player using P1 and P2 sticks would work since they are at the same distance, but the layout in the diagram will cause trouble for 2-player simultaneous gaming because both players' right and left hands will be at different distances.   :banghead:

TL;DR version:  P3/P4 buttons angled and all 4 sticks un-angled. (Green is good.  Red is bad.)

Scott