Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 40" Vertical LCD with 26" standard size KI "positional" screen  (Read 1650 times)

ThePezCollector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2020, 03:22:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
40" Vertical LCD with 26" standard size KI "positional" screen
« on: October 27, 2020, 09:39:49 am »
Not sure if this is even possible or if I am asking this properly.  Is there a front end or a piece of software that would allow me to replace a dead KI 26" monitor in a Mame machine in a KI cabinet with a 40"-43" LCD mounted vertically in the KI case (yes I know it will be a pain to mount and hide the unused screen, but I can make it work) and then allow me to position the display in the proper size and aspect ratio and be able to move it around until it fits in the stock bezel area?  Can that be done easily?  Thanks.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: 40" Vertical LCD with 26" standard size KI "positional" screen
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 01:18:07 pm »
position the display in the proper size and aspect ratio and be able to move it around until it fits in the stock bezel area?  Can that be done easily?
I wouldn't say it's really easy, but several builds have done something fairly similar.   ;D

The MAME feature that will allow you to do that is a custom default horizontal .LAY (layout) file. (MAME v0.194 or newer)
- That should cover any horizontal games.

Vertical games would need a custom default vertical .LAY file.
- Not sure how good a vertical 3:4 game would look in a horizontal 4:3 display area of a rotated 16:9 monitor -- it might look a bit small for your taste.   :dunno

Related thread with useful info and links here:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,163760.0.html

Scott

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:14:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 01:21:03 pm »
You could fix the original monitor. Or have it fixed. It seems like that would be a much simpler solution.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 03:52:13 pm »
Fixing a monitor is not that easy Mike and not only requires a room full of specialized equipment but takes a lot of time to do correctly, Mutiburst pattern gens, rejuves (clean/balance) national standard vectorscopes, I new a guy once that actually cut the neck and replaced the guns, that kind of stuff dont come cheap ..Few people do that anymore for obvious reasons, and at best you may find someone to replace a HOT, or do a generic cap kit or something more along the lines of a patch than a fix...Lcds are not evil despite what you are told.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 03:57:04 pm by jennifer »

ThePezCollector

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2020, 03:22:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 04:49:03 pm »
You could fix the original monitor. Or have it fixed. It seems like that would be a much simpler solution.

I had it fixed once before an few years ago when it was still a KI machine.  I'm about done with it.  I kinda like the look of the newer arcade machines with the LCD anyway.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 05:04:10 pm »
Bezels are tricky, to make look right, get past that I would say you are golden.