Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Audio distortion with some games  (Read 3025 times)

telengard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:23:01 am
  • Yeah, it's a classic! 21+ on BYOAC and still goin
    • S T U R C A D E
Audio distortion with some games
« on: October 26, 2020, 12:10:29 pm »
Running GroovyMame I'm having an issue w/ audio being distorted in some games.  I've read some of the other related audio posts and the thought seems to be a CPU/perf issue.

I've attached a log file hoping to figure out if I need to upgrade my computer or if there is a setting I can tweak to get better performance.

thanks for any info (and if I need to do different logging, I can do that easily)
S T U R C A D E     M.A.M.E. Cabinet
http://www.briansturk.com/mame.html

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Audio distortion with some games
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 12:34:02 pm »
I would only be guessing here, Mame really is not my thing...But on original hardware that was run through a pokey chip, and would have to almost bet that was next to impossible to duplicate,, since not all games were run the same and as result more than likey patched best they could...Again I am guessing, but there just is not two ways around that from what I can see, and as result some games, or parts of games the sound is off.

telengard

• Offline Offline
    • S T U R C A D E
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 10:43:48 pm »
I would only be guessing here, Mame really is not my thing...But on original hardware that was run through a pokey chip, and would have to almost bet that was next to impossible to duplicate,, since not all games were run the same and as result more than likey patched best they could...Again I am guessing, but there just is not two ways around that from what I can see, and as result some games, or parts of games the sound is off.

Hi yes, that particular game could have issues.  But this is happening with a lot of games, not just asteroids deluxe.  I've had it happen with space invaders, and others.  I'm hoping that info in the log can point to the culprit and then possibly tweak things a bit to get it working better.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 05:21:56 am »
Your specific problem is GM is ending up using a refresh that's not the intended one. That's why you have 98% average speed.

The reason why this happens is not very clear, but it's related to this line in your log:

Code: [Select]
Direct3D: Device created at 567x425
This comes after a second mode switch, caused by artwork loading. So I'd recommend to disable artwork first of all and see what happens (let me see the new log in any case). Also turn off frame delay until you get things working correctly.

As a side note, you'd better be using the "newer" Emudriver based on 16.2 for your card.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Josh128

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2021, 11:32:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 11:32:51 am »
Hey Calamity, Im having screen tearing issues on a K7000, started a thread about it.  If I post a log there do you think you could take a look at it and see if you see anything?  Whats the best way to generate a log, use the -verbose option then just copy and paste the text from the cmd window to a txt file? 

Thanks

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 01:07:58 pm »
It's as Recap said and as Calamity's signature says.

Alternatively, if maybe you're like me and the crushing majority of people on this planet - not a computer nerd - and therefore never got to become comfortable with command line operation which you f* up every time and always will ... well, you can use this: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158540.msg1667250.html#msg1667250

It's a super useful little thing that should be linked everywhere people who have trouble with Groovy look.
But heh.  :dunno

Josh128

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2021, 11:32:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:53:42 pm »
It's as Recap said and as Calamity's signature says.

Oh ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, lol!! Cant believe I missed that.  Literally answered both my questions and I didnt even see it.

telengard

• Offline Offline
    • S T U R C A D E
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 07:08:43 pm »
Your specific problem is GM is ending up using a refresh that's not the intended one. That's why you have 98% average speed.

The reason why this happens is not very clear, but it's related to this line in your log:

Code: [Select]
Direct3D: Device created at 567x425
This comes after a second mode switch, caused by artwork loading. So I'd recommend to disable artwork first of all and see what happens (let me see the new log in any case). Also turn off frame delay until you get things working correctly.

As a side note, you'd better be using the "newer" Emudriver based on 16.2 for your card.

Ran it again such that it doesn't use artwork, audio is still distorted.  I've attached the verbose log.

The README for the version I installed in maybe February of this year says

"CRT Emudriver 2.0 beta 15 (based on Catalyst 12.6, Crimson 16.2.1, Adrenalin 18.5.1)
       for Windows 7/8/10 64-bit"

I have a Radeon 5450 so I chose the appropriate one (non-GCN).  I've also attached the original log from my install of crt emu.

telengard

• Offline Offline
    • S T U R C A D E
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 06:10:08 pm »
Anyone have any thoughts based on the logs, or ideas I could try to narrow things down?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 02:00:47 pm »
After checking your log, I'd try using -resolution 720x480 with this particular game and see if it changes anything (this is to discard it's a problem with super resolutions).
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi