Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best sticks for Robotron (2020 edition)  (Read 14622 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: Best sticks for Robotron (2020 edition)
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2020, 12:53:15 pm »
Oh, i thought you were asking about the distance of my cabaret.

Full-size cab is 10” from center to center.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2020, 02:09:56 pm »
You accumulate points on Twitch when you watch live streams. If we accumulate enough points we can make Gillaxian drink until he throws up. It adds another dimension to the event.

I'm familiar with this concept, although it usually involves a bluetooth controlled vibrator inside the panties.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:25:27 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2020, 02:13:17 pm »
We could probably get him to do that. >:D

thomashenry

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 03:55:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2020, 05:14:24 am »
Oh, i thought you were asking about the distance of my cabaret.

Full-size cab is 10” from center to center.

How big is the monitor in the cabaret? 14"? I've made a cab primarily for Robotron and have used a 20" monitor. I have the feeling it's bigger than the ideal size. I'm thinking to either redo it, or make another pure Robotron cab with a 14-16" screen.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2020, 12:12:43 pm »
The Cabaret has a Wells Garner 13” monitor actually.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2021, 04:15:15 am »
You accumulate points on Twitch when you watch live streams. If we accumulate enough points we can make Gillaxian drink until he throws up. It adds another dimension to the event.

I realize that this is an old one (the standard red banner of shame for my posting here- this is what I get for searching before just asking  ;) ) but I got a belly laugh out of Mike A and Vigo as usual, and of course Opt's opinion is always welcome, and then even more fun that I see some obnoxious jackass was SO bad that even his original posts have been nuked, so who could resist really, but I digress-

As regards the joysticks for a Multi-Williams cabinet here...
Can anyone comment on what was (originally) in the real Multi-Williams cabs in the wild?

And/or has anyone come to a (ahem, best?- rrrr...) compromise for something that could play Defender/Stargate, Joust and Robotron reasonably in the same cabinet?

I DO really enjoy playing all of the aforementioned games on my scratch Multi-Williams, and as I believe I suck equally at all of them, is there a good stick choice to accomodate?

Bear in mind that I am functioning in a vacuum out here, and in addition to limited room for cabinets in the ArcadeLoft (the two remaining spots held for a vector cab and it's multi-panel swap-mate raster twin...) there is an equal chance of me acquiring a real version of any of these games and that of 50 rabid rainbow-furred monkeys flying out of ---my bottom---, SO...

If the original Robotron sticks had round restrictors, does anyone even make that anymore (like maybe those Wico repros at arcadeshop?) or is it left to one to get out the dremel and make it happen?

Any experience on whether those repro Wicos really suck for Defender/Stargate and Joust?

Currently there are Mag-Stik Plus sticks in my cab (which are, however great for my other faves, nearly unusable for Robotron sadly.)

My only experience with round restrictor sticks is U360s and although I think they are really good for games like Gyruss and EPROM, I'm not sure they are best for this application.

I feel like I'm getting close to having a few cabinets that I can just play and not be re-engineering every few months so any real experience/wisdom is appreciated!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2021, 08:54:37 am »
Bobby,

Took me a long time to come to this conclusion, but anything other than the original stick for a game sucks.  Games were designed with certain sticks in mind and the Williams games in particular IMO don’t play well without them. 

Defender, & Joust both use the same 2 way stick although positioned 90 deg from each other.

Robotron uses a completely different 8 way grommet based 4” shaft length Wico (as opposed to 3.5” shaft length).

Fortunately for you there are repro’s that have been made:
https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/405/joystick-williams-rebuild-kit.htm

They have blue, yellow, and red ball top shafts for Joust and Defender. They also have the special dust washer.

I was going to recommend an alternative made by a guy that’s on these boards but it looks like he is no longer selling it or the bearing kit that helps solve the Williams stick problem of wearing down the metal pivot points over time (if you buy it I highly recommend you keep it lubed with 3-1 oil).  Here’s the site in case something changes:
https://www.jbgaming.co.uk/parts/

For Robotron there is repro’s of the Wico’s here:

https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/1490/wico-4-red-ball-handle-joystick.htm

If you do a search at Arcadeshop for Williams you’ll see they have a lot of stuff, including Multi-Williams stuff like bezel’s, marquees, Control Panel overlays, even an entire Williams Cab repro.

Don’t forget leaf buttons as well, they have that stuff too.

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2021, 01:35:02 pm »

Hey Bobby,

The Defender and Robotron sticks are so different that you will want 3 joysticks if you are at all serious about Defender. To get the correct original hand placement you'll need swap control panels, but for a single panel solution you can reduce the Robo sticks separation and put the Defender controls wider.

There's a new cheap Defender reproduction coming soon at ParadiseArcadeShop, or my expensive Zeroplay will be back on sale very soon.

The reproduction Robo sticks are horribly stiff, but correct stiffness grommets are due to be on sale again soon. I haven't played the Dominux8 but it felt nice and smooth when I handled one. I don't sell my own grommet sticks so I don't have a dog in this fight (yet).

On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:25:27 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2021, 02:40:52 pm »
That zeroplay stick is legit.

I own one.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2021, 10:50:31 pm »
For games I remember playing a lot the end goal is authentic control layouts.

Inevitable that I wind up with a few multi-panel machines at this point really.

I fudged the arrangement on a Multi-Williams CP to be able to jam the Defender reverse button into the right location.
Required trimming the mounting plate on the Mag-Stik to get it to fit properly but it actually plays really well with that stick in 4 way mode.

Look forward to seeing your joystick for sale jimmer.
I'll certainly be getting (at least) one.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.