Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: k7000 (presumed at least) problems  (Read 1687 times)

embalmed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 04:12:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
k7000 (presumed at least) problems
« on: October 18, 2020, 09:28:17 pm »
Howdy,

I have what appears to be a 25" k7000 with zenith markings on the tube (hey a k7000a?)

I can see an image, but it is really really faint (can see it in the dark with the lights off) along with diagonal lines. I read a lot of depressing posts about these things and I was hoping there was something salvageable with this monitor.

If it is toast, is there a suitable CRT that can be found that fits the form? While not thrilled with the choice of going LCD, I will take sub-optimal over useless in this case. Is there a popular retrofit for this size? I bought this many years ago, but had it set aside as a winter project. I'd like to show it the love it never got from the previous owners, even if it does mean shelling out some bucks. Somewhere along the line it got a date with a roller and black paint :(

I mostly plan to play cps2 and cps3 games on this cab, it came with Street Fighter 3 new generations but originally started out as a Mortal Kombat 3 cab.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: k7000 (presumed at least) problems
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 10:48:53 pm »
Zenith was one of the suppliers of picture tube to Wells-Gardner. You can have a standard K7000 and it may come with a Zenith tube or RCA tube, etc. Don't forget that there was a production run of the K7000 where the chassis itself was made by Zenith for Wells-Gardner. It was known as the K7000A and had seperate documentation issued for it.

Without seeing pictures of your chassis, I would have to guess you have a standard K7000 with a Zenith tube. If that's the case, the Zenith tube needs to be rejuvenated in order to look good.

embalmed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:13:33 pm »
What I can get for now, if there is something more particular to focus on, I'll get to it.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 12:05:12 am »
You have a standard K7000 with a Zenith picture tube. It also appears to be all original capacitors on your chassis.

embalmed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 06:05:39 pm »
Sounds good, I don't hear a lot of kind words about Zenith tubes. Either way, I'm willing to make a go at things.

I'll start with the caps (because easy), and work my way to the tube. Any suggestions on what else to explore? cheap insurance parts?
Suggested reputable vendors?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:13:41 pm »
I'd start with the caps and go from there. People tend to want to shotgun repair these things, and can sometimes introduce issues that weren't originally there.  Caps will be a good and easy fix.  IMO, do that first, then determine if anything else is needed.

embalmed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:01:50 am »
So, recap done.

There was some goofyness with the wiring, looks like they extended the power connector with some 24awg wire that was wrapped around the original pins for the connector and wrapped in tape. I pulled them off, put them back in the original connector. The wire connected to the neck board (that usually has to be cut) pretty much just pulled out of the molex plug they put in.

The picture looks better, but still pretty dark. I can see colors now, but I had to crank the flyback and the contrast.

My diagonal lines are probably better described as descending horizontal lines. Now that I can see the screen better (still in the dark), I see what I can only describe as a horizontal ridge about a quarter of the length down from the top.

Overall, I kept saying "please don't make it worse". The experience wasn't too tragic. I'm down for trying more, but I have a suspicion I will need to find a place to send this one in.

found someone local who I hope can rejuvenate the tube.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:01:05 pm by embalmed »