Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Encoder help request  (Read 1755 times)

bsoder52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 08:57:04 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Encoder help request
« on: December 31, 2020, 11:52:41 am »
Hi all!

It's been awhile since I'm been on the BYOC boards, I guess life and kids got in the way of that. Still have a couple build running that I got alof of help with here. I got a couple 1UPs recently and am working on a dedicated Vertical Galaga cab mod and stuck with getting the encoder and my buttons mapped correctly to it. Hopeful I can get some help on here. Pic attached of the encoder. I'm running LED buttons and LED joystick. I think the problem I'm having is where to run the ground for the buttons. Thanks for any input and help!

romshark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
Re: Encoder help request
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 02:40:20 pm »
Looking at the board, it looks like each input has 2 connectors, so both wires for each button would go there.
I found the encoder on Aliexpress.com, and it shows each button plugging both wires into it's socket.

If you want to still use your grounds tied together, you'll need to find the common pin on the connectors. Use a continuity meter if you can, and find the pins that are connected (probably the outer pins, but I'm not sure from here.) That would be your common wire for your controls.

Also found how to connect the LED lights (those do get daisy-chained).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 02:43:34 pm by romshark »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 11:29:29 am »
Romshark!  This totally helped me out, thank you sooo much!!!!
I had my daisy chain set on the other side of the leads, which was showed in a youtube I had seen.
Switched them around based on the last picture you posted and presto it all works!!!

Drakkorcia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:08:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 03:46:44 pm »
If you have the LED buttons that come with separate lamps, lamp holders, and microswitches you connect the microswitch to the encoder inputs as if it were a standard button, and then you get a 12V harness and wire the positive and negative .250 connections on the lamp holder. If you have a cheap Amazon LED set they usually have the terminals built into the button and come with 3 pin encoders as part of the set. Romshark shows above how to wire an LED with integrated terminals using a standard 2 pin encoder by daisy chaining into an open 5V slot. Three different methods depending on what you have.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:56:51 pm by Drakkorcia »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 04:43:38 pm »
Well got stuck on mapping my controls so coming here for help. My control deck is a simple 1 player set-up with 3 buttons for actions (B,A,X). There are P1 and P2 buttons to select the one or two player option. (running old school games where you can do 2 player, but each person plays one at a time). Lastly, the deck has two extra buttons, one for game select and one as a hotkey.

I've got the player 1 controls all mapped out fine. I can't seem to get the player 2 button to map. Looks like the person who created the image already mapped the Y button to the P2 button which should work great for my set-up. I've tried all the numbers in the options to map the button, but none of them respond when I'm ingame. 

Thanks for any help!