Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiimote force feedback with Dolphinbar in mode 2???  (Read 6763 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Wiimote force feedback with Dolphinbar in mode 2???
« on: October 13, 2020, 10:10:22 pm »
Just wondering if it is possible to get rumble while the Wiimote is acting like a mouse.

I was able to get rumble in mode 4, but I wasn't able to get raw pointing data that MAME would recognize while the Wiimote was emulating an Xbox 360 pad.

ginzu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2023, 06:51:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Wiimote force feedback with Dolphinbar in mode 2???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 11:02:48 am »
Hi,

No, it's not possible from what  i know.  gamepad have rumble feature that mices doesn't have.

but, it's been a while that i have an idea to upgrade my DIY Virtua gun - Wiimote to add it this rumble feature...

And, i think i found how.

But for a classic wiimote, It is not possible.  :dunno

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 12:03:30 pm »
Using Touchmote, I was able to get a mouse pointer emulated with the trigger buttons mapped to A and B on the emulated 360 gamepad in mode 4. Playing Terminator 2, the wiimote rumbled when I pulled the trigger, but MAME wouldn't let me map the mouse pointer from the Wiimote, even though I could control the pointer icon in MAME's user interface. It's very frustrating, because that seems like it would be the best of both worlds, but I guess that MAME's input code would have to be patched to accept the emulated mouse pointer as a valid game input.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 02:56:22 pm »
Mamehooker supports wiimotes, but obviously that doesn't help unless the game supports mamehooker.  wiimotes use an i2c-like protocol over bluetooth.  The hard part is getting them paired with a pc, but after you do sending and receiving data is fairly easy. 

Btw I have no clue why gun manufacturers keep using a mouse as the interface type..... one mouse is easy to poll but dual mice requires a technique that is officially depreciated in windows. Also as you've noticed virtual mice don't work in mame but virtual joysticks do.   Joystick input is the way to go. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:03:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I actually got rumble and multi wiimote support working in MAME with a Mayflash dolphinbar. I had to reinstall Touchmote first of all, because it kept moving my mouse, even if I would set the IR pointer to the analog stick of the emulated 360 joystick. The problem persisted until I deleted the old Touchmote installation folder and installed Touchmote in a different directory after redownloading Touchmote_v1.0b15_x64.exe from touchmote.net.

After using Touchmote to map the Wiimotes to the Xbox 360 right stick for the IR pointer and A and B for the A and B buttons on the emulated 360 joysticks (I mapped everything on the Wiimotes except the tilt sensors for emulated 360 inputs), I mapped those inputs to MAME in each individual game and set Joystick deadzone to zero and Joystick saturation to .65 in the Mame ini files. (i.e. romname.ini). These settings smooth out the pointer movements.

For force feedback or rumble, I downloaded this file FFB.Arcade.Plugin.v2.0.0.3.7z from https://github.com/Boomslangnz/FFBArcadePlugin/releases and followed the instructions. It runs silently after you set it up, which is nice.

So, yeah, I played T2 with dual wiimotes rumbling. That was pretty cool. The Wii rumbling isn't as nice as the old uzi controller from Operation Wolf or something, but it's still good to get feedback. The rumble even starts and stops as you reload without releasing the trigger in games that reload automatically, so that's pretty great.

I've heard that there are stability issues with Touchmote, so we'll see how it holds up, but for now it's working well.

Now I just need to figure out how to launch Touchmote automatically through Rocketlauncher.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 05:05:53 pm by KenToad »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:24:01 pm »
Heh.... I hooked T2's outputs up in mame back in the day.... very satisfying to get them working properly.   As you've noticed there is a distinct difference between using the actual outputs and having a more generic solution where a rumble is felt every time you pull the trigger.  That's not how it's supposed to work in those games.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 10:30:31 am »
Cool, Howard. I believe that you are credited as "always helpful and a big reason this plugin was ever made" in the force feedback plugin readme (I assume that it's you even though it was spelled as Howard Castro).

I played all the way through T2 for the first time and, yes, the Touchmote software is definitely unstable. I had all kinds of issues popping up that I've never seen before when I've used the dolphinbar in mode 2 or with the Dolphin emulator in mode 4, such as the cursor suddenly mirroring inputs or jumping erratically all over the screen. It made the frustrating final levels of T2 even less fun. It turns out that the T2 arcade game pretty much sucks after you travel back in time. Still, it was cool to mark it off the completion list and it took less than an hour.

I'll keep testing this setup. If it continues to be as bad as I've experienced so far, then I can't imagine why anyone would use the Touchmote software over a dolphinbar in mode 2, at least with Windows 10. With the dolphinbar in mode 2, you lose rumble and you need a dolphinbar per wiimote, but at least the pointer is accurate and stable.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 05:24:48 pm by KenToad »

ginzu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2023, 06:51:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 02:56:54 pm »
Cool, Howard. I believe that you are credited as "always helpful and a big reason this plugin was ever made" in the force feedback plugin readme (I assume that it's you even though it was spelled as Howard Castro).

I played all the way through T2 for the first time and, yes, the Touchmote software is definitely unstable. I had all kinds of issues popping up that I've never seen before when I've used the dolphinbar in mode 2 or with the Dolphin emulator in mode 4, such as the cursor suddenly mirroring inputs or jumping erratically all over the screen. It made the frustrating final levels of T2 even less fun. It turns out that the T2 arcade game pretty much sucks after you travel back in time. Still, it was cool to mark it off the completion list and it took less than an hour.

I'll keep testing this setup. If it continues to be as bad as I've experienced so far, then I can't imagine why anyone would use the Touchmote software over a dolphinbar in mode 2, at least with Windows 10. With the dolphinbar in mode 2, you lose rumble and you need a dolphinbar per wiimote, but at least the pointer is accurate and stable.

Hi,

Yes  i agree with you reagrding the difference between using a wimote in mode 2 Vs a using it in mode 4  with touchmote. i had even do a Video on my channel youtube to compare the 2.
Did you seen it already ?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:33:17 pm »
I'd seen a few of your other videos, but not that specific one yet. Thanks for sharing. Your experiences with Mode 4 look exactly like mine. That's a bummer. I guess the Touchmote software desperately needs an update because none of those issues occur when using the dolphinbar in mode 4 with multiple Wiimotes connected for the Dolphin emulator.