Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any DnD players in the house?  (Read 2395 times)

AstroPanthera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 09:15:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Any DnD players in the house?
« on: October 12, 2020, 08:35:26 pm »
I enjoy DnD - a lot. Anyone here actively play, running any cool campaigns or arcs? I DM a 5e group weekly over discord and love it. Just wanted to see where this hobby and DnD intersect.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
Re: Any DnD players in the house?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 02:16:55 am »
I have my phone on DnD all the time.  :P

I preferred the books (turn to page xx), and those mail in turn based games back in the day.  I cannot remember the titles to this day, but it was like $1 a submission plus postage.

My favorite DND adventure was Caves of Chaos, now I just fire up WOW if I feel the need to RPG.  There was one RPG that was fun called Teenage Mutant Turtles and other Strangeness, which was DnD but animal based.  A bit like Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series.

I remember playing Barrens Realm Elite on BBS with my trusty 1200/75 modem.

At work we used to play Artemis when its was quiet.  I guess it is quiet now in the office.  :lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%26_Other_Strangeness

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:08:09 am »
I've been wanting to get back into playing after seeing all the online tools like Roll20 and whatnot. Some co-workers invited me to join their session but the timezone difference made it not work out.

Back in the early 00s I ran a Call of Cthulhu campaign over the course of a year or two when the d20 edition came out. It was a pretty over the top sprawling tale that had the group accidentally become the harbingers of Hastur, an alien elder god, and after one member became a physical embodiment of the being they had to subdue him in a fight that ended up turning a few square miles of some random middle east desert into solid glass, then upon recovering in the hospital afterwards discover that they were being used to bring about some kind of time-travel doomsday scenario with modified medical equipment and portals to other realms of existence. The details are a little fuzzy now but in the end they had rescue their future selves from a branched timeline and sacrifice their current selves to continue forward.

Barren Realms Elite certainly brings back memories too, though I got into that around the same time. In the mid 90s on actual dial-up BBSs it was all about LORD. I ran a telnet BBS from around 2000-2003 or so for something like 40ish users. Only a small handful played BRE though.

I've DMed a few games of "Hero Kids" with my kids and their friends. It's a pretty simple roleplaying system aimed at a younger crowd which uses opposed d6 rolls for basically everything. Makes the focus on storytelling rather than stats. Combat is less interesting and a little drawn out though as a result. There's an edited down video on our YouTube channel of one of the games.

As a big player of Magic: The Gathering I'm excited to see what becomes of the DnD/MTG crossover that will be released next year. There are a few DnD sourcebooks for some MTG settings that have piqued my interested. There's always so many worlds to explore and never enough time.

AstroPanthera

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 01:55:12 pm »
There are lots of great systems out there. I’ve been wanting to get into Shadowrun or one of the Wild West centric systems. I just find 5e is really in the zeitgeist right now and there so much arcana available. Some really great real-play podcasts as well.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 02:49:46 pm »
D&D, Role playing and Video Games are all Kids Stuff...

...So yeah, I'm into all that.

To be honest my buddies have found more time to get together and play virtually than we ever did in person.

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 02:48:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 11:24:25 pm »
I haven't played in far too long. I'm hoping I can get some friends together for a one shot of the Street Fighter RPG (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter%3A_The_Storytelling_Game) though.

I used to be interested in Shadowrun, but then the company publishing it screwed over a lot of their kickstarter backers (I was one of them) and laughed about it on camera. They also released a horribly broken new version of the RPG (the answer to "where are the character creation rules?" should not be "in the previous version's corebook") and seem to be doing everything they can to kill the game off.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 08:07:42 am »
Have a group of friends coming over Saturday to play half the day.
started the campaign before covid.
were playing once a month starting last November and starting to get back to it.

we hadn't played in 10 yrs or longer before that.
we played all the time in our 20's.
now we are in our 40's and 50's.

AstroPanthera

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 01:32:02 pm »
We have a good mix. I think our youngest is 22, I'm the oldest at 40. One of party ran his own one-shot last week. I got to play a PC for a change. It was a blast. Ran a warforged multiclassed 5 of fighter/matt mercer's gunslinger archetype and 3 levels of rogue assassin. I was an absolute glass canon. Major damage, but got ---my bottom--- kicked! Loved it. Super fun. This week we're back to my main campaign and heading into the underdark. Should be fun!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 07:47:17 pm »
We are still 1st edition. :)

campaign based on the great lakes region post apocalypse we assume considering some of the ancient "stonework" that can still be found in some areas.
native American mythos's primarily.
lots of great lakes boat travel.
cast of characters like Lennie and Squigy. (based on what city state we are in).
it's fun plus our DM has created a few mysteries for us to follow and investigate.
higher level with access to underlings which is new to us.
it's more about the game play, establishing alliances, ect and less about the combat, but there is combat and it isn't cake walks either.

also, it lets us get together regularly.